Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Old School Wayne

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

Very Nice!! The contrast of x-ray really suits this shot

Quote Originally Posted by Thodoris Tzalavras View Post
    Attachment 142241

Late afternoon light at Latchi, Cyprus.
    October 2015.

Speed Graphic 4x5, with Optar 135mm, at f/8.
    Agfa x-ray film (CP G+).
    Developed in Ilford MG 1+80 at 22C for 8min on Jobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Very Nice!! The contrast of x-ray really suits this shot
    Thanks Wayne.
    I should note though that this is a scan which was post processed in PS, in order to resemble what a split-grade print on VC paper would look like. There is dodging/burning and local contrast manipulation in play.
    I haven't made a grade 2 straight print from this negative yet to post for comparison. I thought of posting the unedited scan, but that wouldn't be representative of the negative's true tonality either, since I prefer to get dull scans out of the scanner instead of "true" scans. I find them easier to work with.

Thanks for the honesty. I doubt a wet FB print will compare unless done by a Master.

I do like your image and maybe I need to follow your good example.

Thanks Wayne.
    I should note though that this is a scan which was post processed in PS, in order to resemble what a split-grade print on VC paper would look like. There is dodging/burning and local contrast manipulation in play.
    I haven't made a grade 2 straight print from this negative yet to post for comparison. I thought of posting the unedited scan, but that wouldn't be representative of the negative's true tonality either, since I prefer to get dull scans out of the scanner instead of "true" scans. I find them easier to work with.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I think the time is right for this.

Lately we have had many requests from newbies about X-Ray and the traditional response here has been. "Go read the 2 X-Ray threads in their entirety". Those threads are huge.
    I have done that, but it did not make me an expert. The threads are daunting in length and contradiction.
    i've waded thru this thread over the last week & it's full of great information & is very inspiring.. but yes, it's hard to find all the relevant info.

Maybe address types and which actual films people use by continent as labeling is customized for marketing confusion.
    this would be great, In Australia it's much harder to source x-ray film, but i do believe i've found a supplier. If it happens i'll happily add their details to a list. Also found a few generic brands of x-ray film which i think should work because the developer chemicals sound very familiar, but i'd ideally want confirmation before purchasing.

I
    Keep the chemistry and processing simple and cheap for beginners. Rodinol in trays, under red LED?
    exactly what i'm thinking.. i'm already well versed in rodinal; being my developer of choice so i reckon a bit of trial and error could produce good results. I figure i'd use trays, anyone tried 'taco method' or is this unsuitable for xray?

Ohhh, & i plan to shoot in 3.25x4.25" as this is the size of a small speedgraphic I recently picked up. Figure if i'm going to have to trim my film to fit, i may as well use x-ray.

Attachment 142241

Late afternoon light at Latchi, Cyprus.
    October 2015.

Speed Graphic 4x5, with Optar 135mm, at f/8.
    Agfa x-ray film (CP G+).
    Developed in Ilford MG 1+80 at 22C for 8min on Jobo.
    Great job, the clouds look awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelwhip View Post
    i've waded thru this thread over the last week & it's full of great information & is very inspiring.. but yes, it's hard to find all the relevant info.

this would be great, In Australia it's much harder to source x-ray film, but i do believe i've found a supplier. If it happens i'll happily add their details to a list. Also found a few generic brands of x-ray film which i think should work because the developer chemicals sound very familiar, but i'd ideally want confirmation before purchasing.

exactly what i'm thinking.. i'm already well versed in rodinal; being my developer of choice so i reckon a bit of trial and error could produce good results. I figure i'd use trays, anyone tried 'taco method' or is this unsuitable for xray?

Ohhh, & i plan to shoot in 3.25x4.25" as this is the size of a small speedgraphic I recently picked up. Figure if i'm going to have to trim my film to fit, i may as well use x-ray.
    I pm'D you with details of a supplier, but received nil response, have contacts for you if needed

sorry, yep, i got it thanks. just PM'd you back with a potential aussie supplier i've found.

Old School Wayne

Oh...in that case...I'm less impressed. No offense. Its still a nice composition.

But this does create an opportunity to bring up something I've wanted to bring up for a while. Could people say whether they are posting PSed scans or prints or whatever? I know the results I have gotten printing x-ray film are pathetic compared to most that are posted, and it occurred to me I may be comparing apples and oranges. I would think many people getting into x-ray and printing it would want to know this info too so they aren't trying to duplicate qualities that they can't.

Thanks Wayne.

That's a good point, Wayne. Perhaps people should get into the habit of providing info on how they manipulated the image, if any manipulation took place... but over on the other x-ray thread. As I said before, there really should only be one x-ray thread.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

When I started this thread it was about the images. I post prints. I think that is what should be done. No scans anymore. Post your work and discuss what and how it was done so we can all learn. After all this is Large Format and I feel we should post prints now.