Page 203 of 655 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253303 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 6544

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Lee Smathers

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

Thanks Rde, Bryan, Sergei, and Carl! I'm going to stay away from stripping if I can. Tray processing would be keeping it as simple as possible for me, and I'm happy with the sharpness of the xray film.

It's a new day. Last night I did some night xray photography with the 8x10. I'd process it now, but I just got some fresh 7x17 xray film and it's a beautiful day. I'm going to load some up and shoot! I still don't have a bag or case for this monster. I've found two bags people were throughing away, one is perfect for the 8x10 Korona, but it will also hold my 5 7x17 holders. It's a monster but I can lug the camera on my tripod while I search for a shot.

Fingers are cross that last batch of 7x17 was bad and I'll get some winners starting today.

I take the wet negative from the Jobo Expert drum, and place the keeper side of the negative on a glass plate. No tape is needed. (I have a 1/4" thick 2ft x 2ft piece of glass in my darkroom sink. The bottom rests in the sink, and the top rests against the wall. I normally use it for viewing wet prints.) I have a hose of tempered water running. Dip a cotton towel, brush ... in Clorox diluted 1:1. Dab on the negative in the middle of the negative and swirl a bit. Run a stream of water from the hose over the negative. Dip brush in some more bleach. Repeat, working out to the edges. It really isn't that hard. Practice on a spare negative. I only needed one after listening to Corran's advice.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

That makes good sense, do it wet. Not sure if anyone has recommended that.

Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I take the wet negative from the Jobo Expert drum, and place the keeper side of the negative on a glass plate. No tape is needed. (I have a 1/4" thick 2ft x 2ft piece of glass in my darkroom sink. The bottom rests in the sink, and the top rests against the wall. I normally use it for viewing wet prints.) I have a hose of tempered water running. Dip a cotton towel, brush ... in Clorox diluted 1:1. Dab on the negative in the middle of the negative and swirl a bit. Run a stream of water from the hose over the negative. Dip brush in some more bleach. Repeat, working out to the edges. It really isn't that hard. Practice on a spare negative. I only needed one after listening to Corran's advice.
    Tin Can

Peter has it down pat. I'm not the best at explaining the technique I use in written form, but he's done it perfectly.

The 1:1 dilution of the bleach is the really important part, in my experience.

Randy, I think some have advocated doing it DRY, which I honestly have never tried. The method above after learning it works perfectly, and I don't even use tape to mask off the negative.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Tape would not work wet, sounds obvious NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Peter has it down pat. I'm not the best at explaining the technique I use in written form, but he's done it perfectly.

The 1:1 dilution of the bleach is the really important part, in my experience.

Randy, I think some have advocated doing it DRY, which I honestly have never tried. The method above after learning it works perfectly, and I don't even use tape to mask off the negative.
    Tin Can

Lee Smathers

I was doing it wet, 1:1 dilution, no tape, with a foam sponge. Only tried one, however. If I can process in trays, I don't want to even bother with stripping the negative. Only reason I would strip my negatives would be because I can't master the tray technique and have to use a rotary method.

Quote Originally Posted by photoevangelist View Post
    Here's another one. The processing errors are quite evident here. Any advice would be much appreciated!
    If possible, try to keep the ends of the film holders out of direct sun. At any rate, cover the ends of your film holders with your dark cloth when you pull the slide.

i did it dry still got few sheets hanging on mirror from April - just cant be bothered to scan them

but in all seriousness - only reason i see for stripping is if one of sides got seriously scratched or if its not developed right (aka done in rotary tank and outer layer didnt get done right)

8x10, Kodak CSG, traditional Rodinal 1+100, 15:00 , rotary.

300mm Symmar, wide open, with yellow-green filter

Scan-130715-0005www by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

Come on Sergei, she would good even if I took the picture!

Nice job, great model!

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    8x10, Kodak CSG, traditional Rodinal 1+100, 15:00 , rotary.

300mm Symmar, wide open, with yellow-green filter

Scan-130715-0005www by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr
    Tin Can