Lee Smathers

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

Quote Originally Posted by Carl J View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carlsons_raspberries_posts_xray_750.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	97509
    Very nice! I love seeing skies with xray film. I've yet to really try anything outside. That's my summer project, but I figured I'd stay away from scenes with skies.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Tran View Post
    Thanks Randy and Jim. I'm glad you guys liked it . So Jim you dig the rembrandt lighting huh?
    Absolutely! Dig the lens as well!

Quote Originally Posted by photoevangelist View Post
    Very nice! I love seeing skies with xray film. I've yet to really try anything outside. That's my summer project, but I figured I'd stay away from scenes with skies.
    Thanks, Lee. The yellow filter makes all the difference for the skies. That being said, the HP5+ version has better (more dramatic) skies but I could live with this if it was the only shot I had.

No sky, but one more (Fujinon 250mm, f6.7):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carlson_bldg_door_xry_750.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	97514

Quote Originally Posted by Carl J View Post
    Thanks, Lee. The yellow filter makes all the difference for the skies. That being said, the HP5+ version has better (more dramatic) skies but I could live with this if it was the only shot I had.

No sky, but one more (Fujinon 250mm, f6.7):
    Very well crafted composition, Carl. Interesting elements very well balanced. Nicely done.

Carl...

Nice work with the x-ray film and the tube development. ....."what scratches, I don't see no scratches"............It would be nice if they made the B/RA in larger sizes over 8x10. Oh well..........................

TW

So, Zz medical is offering free shipping now on all x-ray film. Is this the beginning of the end for x-ray film?

We are a tiny tiny percentage of X-Ray users, if it was the end prices would be rising. ZZ is now just slightly cheaper than http://www.cxsonline.com/ where I have been buying. They have been very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilford4ever View Post
    So, Zz medical is offering free shipping now on all x-ray film. Is this the beginning of the end for x-ray film?
    Tin Can

Lee Smathers

As I understand it the digital xray machinery is a very expensive conversion, which is why film is still used in smaller practices. If an end is near, I sure would like to be in the know. I'd like to stock up on a few boxes. I don't think my portrait series would be as interesting on pan film and it surely wouldn't have been possible on the scale I approached it with. I can't afford to do 55 portraits (x2 for insurance) with regular pan film.

BTW. I use double sided emulsion-not stripped. Scanned on Epson v750 with better scanning glass raised on 4 Korean pennies, using EpsonScan, levels, dust and scratches, and very little smart sharpening to achieve what I believe to be absolutely beautiful 40x50 inch tonal prints on our university's 10 year old Epson. My scans were larger than our printer's capability and I believe I could print 4 times the size of the 40x50 inch prints if I wanted. I am super pleased with my digital output workflow. Because of framing costs, I doubt I will ever, or rarely, go to 40x50 inch prints again - which is a shame because they look damn good on the gallery wall. Maybe I'll buy a few large frames for signature images of a show.

I'll have to upload samples of the 2400 dpi images later. But I can't say that I need to strip the negatives at 40x50 prints, though I have never tried enlarging traditional film or stripped xray or drum scans to this size.

The prints blew me away, all my students, and co-professors away. The "wow" factor was high during the exhibition opening and my pride level went through the roof.

That being said, I think 5x7 is a large enough format for nice digital 30x40 prints. 4x5 was stretching it a bit (of course my 4x5 test at 30x40 was Tri-X in Diafine) with our technology at the school. I'm going to play with 8x10 xray some more, but I think xray and huge contact prints like Jim, Tri, et al are where xray is at. 5x7 pan film is affordable enough for me to shoot with constant dependable results.

All very good information Lee.

Thanks for sharing!
    Tin Can