Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exposures for Graflex Crown Graphic 5x4

Exposures for Graflex Crown Graphic 5x4

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and I recently acquired a Graflex Crown Graphic with a Linhof 150mm xenar lens.

I was just wondering how much you all compensate by according to your meter readings on this type of camera? And also, how much attention do you pay to bellows compensation factors? I'm testing it tomorrow but don't want to waste tooo much film you see...

Many thanks in advance!

Catriona

Re: Exposures for Graflex Crown Graphic 5x4

I was just wondering how much you all compensate by according to your meter readings on this type of camera?
    I'm not clear what you mean here. As opposed to what? As opposed to just guessing the exposure? Or guesstimating the exposure with something like the Sunny 16 rule? I rely on an accurate exposure meter.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by catrionagray View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and I recently acquired a Graflex Crown Graphic with a Linhof 150mm xenar lens.

I was just wondering how much you all compensate by according to your meter readings on this type of camera? And also, how much attention do you pay to bellows compensation factors? I'm testing it tomorrow but don't want to waste tooo much film you see...

Many thanks in advance!

Catriona
    Unless you are focussing on something closer than say three feet or so, just meter and transfer the settings with no compensation.

A camera is a camera is a camera, one meter works the same for all.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Welcome.
    The type of camera you use has nothing to do with exposure; it depends on other things such as type of film used, intended processing and intended effect.
    Bellows compensation is needed when you extend your bellows past the lens' focal length, in your case, over 150mm; but even then it won't be a factor until you get to 250mm or so extension.

Hi Catriona, and welcome aboard.

In the general case you do need to compensate for bellows extension as the lens moves farther from the film.

However, in your case, the bellows isn't long enough to cause a major change in illumination at the film plane.

If you're taking close-ups (with the bellows extended as far as it will go) you might add a half stop.
    For portraits you might add a quarter of a stop, but it really won't matter with most films.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Exposures for Graflex Crown Graphic 5x4

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Welcome.
    The type of camera you use has nothing to do with exposure; it depends on other things such as type of film used, intended processing and intended effect.
    Bellows compensation is needed when you extend your bellows past the lens' focal length, in your case, over 150mm; but even then it won't be a factor until you get to 250mm or so extension.
    In addition to this you adjust your exposure for what filters you put on the lens and also for reciprocity.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Thanks so much everyone! I had just heard that you should always overexpose by a stop or so with large format cameras. Does anyone find that to be true?

I thought I'd shoot 3 sheets tomorrow. One bang on, one -1 and one +1. I guess then I'll get a feel for the camera.

Thanks so much everyone! I had just heard that you should always overexpose by a stop or so with large format cameras. Does anyone find that to be true?

I thought I'd shoot 3 sheets tomorrow. One bang one, one -1 and one +1. I guess then I'll get a feel for the camera.
    You may, after experimentation, find it useful to expose film at other than box speed, changing the development to suit.

Since you're a beginner, stick to rated speed and recommended developing times. Also, keep notes of all your exposures - it helps when things go in unintended directions. To start out, you want as few variables as possible.

If you want to experiment, by all means do so - but keep notes!

Welcome, by the way.

Yup, I am a big note-taker. Was a professional printer for years but just never ventured into large format before

Thanks!

Yup, I am a big note-taker. Was a professional printer for years but just never ventured into large format before

Thanks!
    Have you looked at the forum homepage? There's a clicker in the upper left corner of the screen, just under "What's New".