Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning Roadtrip for June in Middle/Western USA

Re: Planning Roadtrip for June in Middle/Western USA

If you do go to Farson, WY, as suggested by Mudrunner, be sure to get an ice cream cone. Order a single - you won't be able to eat anything larger than that before it melts, unless you have competition speed.

Thanks for the additional suggestions!

Regarding weather/fire, we'll see how things are looking in a month or two. Previously burned-out areas could actually be interesting.

It looks like I may not be able to leave till a bit past the start of June now due to work issues, and therefore will skip Big Bend and book it to Phoenix and Las Vegas for conferences, and then start from there. Still working out details and can sketch out some basic plans after that's hammered down.

I will definitely hit you up Vaughn. The travel up the CA coast should be a highlight, from what I can tell. Let's just hope it works out unlike last time I had a flight booked for LA for a work trip but had to cancel last minute due to unforeseen problems.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

It is pretty tough up here right now. Yesterday a visiting friend and I grabbed my kayaks and headed up the coast a ways to Stone Lagoon. Too windy, minor whitecaps -- my friend had not been in a kayak for 20 years and for at least twice that many pounds, so we had to hike in the redwoods instead. Coming back from the redwoods we saw that the wind had died down so we spent an hour or two on the Lagoon -- had it to ourselves. No jackets (well, me anyway).

It's rough, but someone has to do it....

I hope to do some backpacking early June, so timing sounds good. But we'll see...climate is something one has, and weather is what one gets.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

T-shirt weather here yesterday, not today. Pretty good poppy bloom out. But I was happy just to be working out uphill again with a decent pack load, clearing out my lungs of all the indoor heater crud, and sweating out all the food additive toxins. Hard wind due tomorrow, then a calm Friday, when I hope to be hiking again. Today is a good day for washing the truck and cleaning its camping gear, and alas, for paying an extra buck a gallon than a week ago for gas. Why am I just a little bit suspicious that some gouging is going on?, since there is not a bit of actual diminishment of supply yet; and we're surrounded by refineries here, so rising transport costs can't be blamed either. Might affect some plans; but life is too short to stay outright grounded. We're not cruise ship types anyway; so I don't feel guilty if I spend extra to get to some trailhead, even out of State.

Otherwise, May and June might have a rather spectacular bloom right over on the Pt Reyes and Sonoma coastlines; and I'm especially eager to see if the burn area trails have opened up again, since the fireweed bloom will probably be in full force. Further north, up by you Vaughn, the coastline should still be pretty colorful in June.
    But I wished I'd known you'd taken a ran past this area, since I could have handed that box of matboard over to you. Well, there's still the Post Office. But I am at least contemplating a run up Hwy 1 myself to visit some friends in Eureka before going further north. Hard to say just yet.

I spent a week down in San Clemente and then a few nights in Oakland on the way back, printing with friends. I have a flip phone and during the 10 days, the closest I came to directly using a computer was saying, "Alexis, play Buffalo Springfield, please." and "Alexis, volume 5, please." in the darkroom while processing carbon prints. I had to stop saying 'please'. I think it confused her...otherwise, most of my screen time was thru the windscreen...a lot of it on Hwy 5. Poppies are popping, fruit trees are in blossom. I try not to drive that highway at night...farmers seem to do all their spraying when you can't see it.

I came in the house to google planting blueberries and got trapped...time to get those puppies in the ground!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

There's something happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    There's something happening here.
    "what is ain't exactly clear"... the lament of too many poor darkroom workers.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Mudrunner - fire season is now all year round, and intercontinental. The smoke from my home town fire two years ago spread all the way to western Europe and blacked out the sun in New York city.
    Its thermal cloud reached 70,000 feet high and at one point contained four fire tornadoes inside. The force of devastation in those deep canyons was literally equivalent to the energy of about 20 hydrogen bombs. But the very next May I drove into part of there to camp at a favorite spot. There was an incredible display of wildflowers coming out of the ash, an exceptional diversity of birds taking advantage of the new situation (including easy bug picking in burnt tree bark), multiple species of frogs in the stream, young tree squirrels running around.

Later this week I might do a day drive to one of the areas of massive burn behind Mt Hamilton where the old observatory is. Few people go there, despite its proximity to major cities. But flower species which haven't even been seen for over a hundred years are out in the tens of thousands there now. Various otherwise rare flower species require fire to sprout. More common fireweed is typical after burns, but certainly vivid too. In June it will be too late for lower elevation blooms, especially in drought areas. But the somewhat higher altitude meadows of Lassen Natl Park might be a good candidate this summer. Plus a lot of it was pre-burnt a century ago by a volcanic eruption, and the juxtaposition of the two kinds of devastation might be not only interesting, but have a great deal to tempt photographers more than usual. But sometimes Lassen opens late due to snow.
    What does the rejuvenation say about how we do things? Just how smart are we?

About two weeks and I'm off on this trip. Changes that have come up is a fast-track drive to Las Vegas to start for the conference I am attending and then I can do whatever.

Currently planning on leaving LV at 3:30am or so June 10th to get to Death Valley area well before sunrise. Do as much as I can before the heat becomes untenable and then drive to Mono Lake to see the sunset.

I see several "first come first serve" campsites near Lee Vinings, near the Eastern Yosemite Valley entrance, as well as dispersed camping availability around Mono Lake, according to Forestry Service. I will have to be in Yosemite before 6am June 11th or else I won't get in. No problem there, I will be itching to go as soon as my eyes close.

June 11th all day in Yosemite, starting 4-5am I guess, coming from the east on Tioga Pass. Need to find someplace on the west side to camp, and maybe make a second pass the next day.

June 12th drive to San Mateo, staying with family for several days.

June 15th or 16th or thereabouts heading north on the coastal highway.

I'm reviewing all the suggestions and adding things but the Death Valley and Yosemite areas I think will be the most difficult, in terms of sleeping anyway. Found a hostel cheap in Mammoth Lakes area in case I need that. The coastal CA area is a bit more populous and AirBnB or other lodging is available. Will definitely be reaching out to some of you in June as well. Goal will be about 3 days to get to Portland. Stay for a day or two with friends and then up to Seattle, perhaps stay at a hotel/AirBnB until heading east to Glacier. I have some AirBnB plans over there where I might stay an extra day or two. Meander south and then east home afterwards.

Thanks for the earlier and future suggestions!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Have a great and safe trip

We will want a complete report

Safe travels
    Tin Can