Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The perils of expired film

Re: The perils of expired film

Quote Originally Posted by kenj8246 View Post
    The problem with finding an unopened 100 sheet box of Plus-X in good shape is if there will be a next box?
    I once thought that about flashbulbs.

This is getting pretty far afield but I still have a few enexploded flashbulbs that came with my Crown Graphic flash setup. Gonna hang on to them. I enjoy looking at them once in a while...

My problem is I sometimes find half boxes of film types left over from some long ago pro shoot that I wouldn't normally buy to shoot personally (different labs preferred to process some over others), but when I tried new developers/processes to use them, I started to get results I liked, but not long after ran out of the old stock... PX was not a fav, but I was getting a 20's/30's ortho look I was liking recently, but that box is now empty... (X-Ray might emulate that look I liked...)

We just have to adapt as films come and go...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    My problem is I sometimes find half boxes of film types left over from some long ago pro shoot that I wouldn't normally buy to shoot personally (different labs preferred to process some over others), but when I tried new developers/processes to use them, I started to get results I liked, but not long after ran out of the old stock... PX was not a fav, but I was getting a 20's/30's ortho look I was liking recently, but that box is now empty... (X-Ray might emulate that look I liked...)

We just have to adapt as films come and go...

Steve K
    No good deed goes unpunished? I have, generally, been having better luck with expired B&W film using standard developers. HC110, D76 and Rodinal.

Which developer did you use (for the images posted) with the expired Plus-X?

Quote Originally Posted by carl j View Post
    which developer did you use (for the images posted) with the expired plus-x?
    hc110-h, 1+63.

Thanks. Your scans look good. I have some Plus-X and was thinking of trying pyrocat but will keep hc110 in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl J View Post
    Thanks. Your scans look good. I have some Plus-X and was thinking of trying pyrocat but will keep hc110 in mind.
    I have the largest part of the 100 sheet box left, so I will probably do some in PMK before I'm done.