Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: digital lens, image circle using roll film ?

digital lens, image circle using roll film ?

i know that manufacturers are sometimes quite conservative about the image circle they published...
    Digital lens, are the sharper lens available, but the IC seems too small for roll film (6x8 and arca Fline, subject : architecture)... so i'm looking for real world expérience with this type of lens... and maybe a source with usable IC with roll film...

Thanks

Re: digital lens, image circle using roll film ?

You'd be surprised. Most that I've tried (that's three now) are QUITE comparable with their same-focal-length cousins in the film world, if not BETTER in this regard. And, promising something on the order of 200 lp/mm, they're pretty intriguing.

That you may actually see real-world gains, using real-world apertures however - is another question entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    i know that manufacturers are sometimes quite conservative about the image circle they published...
    Digital lens, are the sharper lens available, but the IC seems too small for roll film (6x8 and arca Fline, subject : architecture)... so i'm looking for real world expérience with this type of lens... and maybe a source with usable IC with roll film...

Thanks
    You are using too wide a brush with this statement.

Rodenstock Apo Sironar Digital lenses have image circles of 125 to 150mm which are fine for roll film. They are available in 35mm, 45mm, 55mm, 70mm, 90mm, 205mm, 120 macro, 135mm, 150mm, 180mm.

Apo Sironar Digital HR lenses have image circles of 70 to 80mm. Might those be the ones you are referring to? They are available in 28mm, 35mm, 60mm, 100mm 180mm.

There are twice as many digital lenses in Rodenstock's case that cover any roll film size then that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by JW Dewdney View Post
    You'd be surprised. Most that I've tried (that's three now) are QUITE comparable with their same-focal-length cousins in the film world
    have you tried one around 38-47-55 ?

Yes... a 55.. mind you - I never shot film with them.. but played with them on my sinar... just to check out the image circle. The only one I had any extensive play with was a rodenstock 135mm. It covers 4x5 with TONS of room for generous movements. The 55 seemed like it would cover 6x9 pretty easily. Not 4x5 though, quite.

i allready know that i should avoid the HR serie for roll film use.
    i will probably buy a lens around 47, and to prepare the future, i think it can be a good idea to buy a digital lens instead of a 47xl... but i need movements with my 6x8 films...

6x8??? what is it - a fuji?? I think the image circles are all published somewhere - aren't they? I'd still imagine it would be pretty important to know how much you can rise, say, on a digital studio setup.

i allready know that i should avoid the HR serie for roll film use.
    i will probably buy a lens around 47, and to prepare the future, i think it can be a good idea to buy a digital lens instead of a 47xl... but i need movements with my 6x8 films...
    The HR are excellent for roll film as long as they adequatly cover the format in use. But to use them properly with any film format a screw-in corrector plate is required on the rear of the lens to compensate for the lack of the cover plate normally on a digital sensor. That cover plate is the final element in the HR lens.

6x8??? what is it - a fuji??
    no, mamiya motor drive 6x8 back on an arca swiss Fline69... much better than the arca/horseman back !

a screw-in corrector plate is required on the rear of the lens... rodenstock sold them ?

6x8??? what is it - a fuji??
    no, mamiya motor drive 6x8 back on an arca swiss Fline69... much better than the arca/horseman back !

a screw-in corrector plate is required on the rear of the lens... rodenstock sold them ?
    Yes Rodenstock sells them for the HR series only. The Apo Sironar Digital series does not require them.