Page 142 of 655 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192242642 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 6544

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

This was tray developed in pyrocat-hd. Green Lat. Kallitype print.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barrow.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    How you agitate explains the dark marks on the negative, then. It's not sufficient and it's uneven. If you have solved your safelight issue, try developing in a flat-bottomed tray. If you don't have any, pick up a tupper ware container.
    How do you develop in a tupperware container, actually have never tray developed so do you leave the negative in the tray, doesn't it settle at the bottom, how do you grab it again. Do you close the lid, do you agitate the tray or move the negative? So many questions and most probably will irritate most members...sorry SergeiR for this basic stuff.

Cheers

Raffay

I wonder also. My finger are not nimble. I have to use trays with grooves to have any chance of picking of the neg. Some recommend glass plates in the bottom. I am thinking the glass plate would have to be undersized, to allow one the find an edge.

I am lucky to pick up pencils from the floor, let alone wet negs in the dark!

We will both figure this us out, you are not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Raffay View Post
    How do you develop in a tupperware container, actually have never tray developed so do you leave the negative in the tray, doesn't it settle at the bottom, how do you grab it again. Do you close the lid, do you agitate the tray or move the negative? So many questions and most probably will irritate most members...sorry SergeiR for this basic stuff.

Cheers

Raffay
    Tin Can

Raffey & Randy, when I shot 4X5, I could easily process 16-18 sheets at a time in 8X10 trays. I used photographic development trays, like you would use to develop photographic printing paper, with the depressions in the bottom, making it easy to slip my fingers under the stack of film, slide the bottom sheet out and lay it on the top of the stack, keeping the entire stack under the developer as I agitate. Xray is so easy to scratch that this procedure is not very good. Development is even, but the darn scratches. I get less scratches if I do only 1-2 sheets at a time though. Some suggest using flat bottom trays to minimize scratching. I have not tried that yet.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

How do you pick up the negative in a tupperware container? By the corner. Push the film against the opposite edge first. It's easier to pick up. Also by agitating, a corner will come up allowing you to get your finger underneath. X-ray film is too fragile to develop multiple sheets together. One at a time.
    You can use regular, grooved trays if you use my ziplock bag method.

How do you develop in a tupperware container
    Not recommended to use they often have a mold mark on the bottom that will scratch your neg.

doesn't it settle at the bottom, how do you grab it again.
    Many people actually push the neg to the bottom. Again this is another reason to use developing trays that have groves along the bottom that allow you to get your fingers under the neg.

Do you close the lid, do you agitate the tray or move the negative?
    No lid development trays do not have lids.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Some recommend glass plates in the bottom. I am thinking the glass plate would have to be undersized, to allow one the find an edge.
    That is because x-ray film has emulsion on both sides and they are trying to avoid scratching the emulsion on the back on the bottom of the tray. having the glass plate undersized would just leave places where the x-ray neg can be scratched on.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

The tupper ware containers I have have no such mold mark on the bottom. At any rate, I do not use them anymore since I got hold of some flat-bottomed trays of several different sizes from a retired photographer. I don't recommend grooved bottoms, especially if you are using x-ray film that has emulsion on both sides. The bottom "agitates" differently than the top side and can result in developer marks. It happened to me. If you only have this type of tray, instead of a glass sheet insert, try plexi glass with the edges and corners sanded. Or you could try out the ziplock bag method. Much cheaper and works great!

found this zip lock method

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnhoke/8409478356/

The tupper ware containers I have have no such mold mark on the bottom. At any rate, I do not use them anymore since I got hold of some flat-bottomed trays of several different sizes from a retired photographer. I don't recommend grooved bottoms, especially if you are using x-ray film that has emulsion on both sides. The bottom "agitates" differently than the top side and can result in developer marks. It happened to me. If you only have this type of tray, instead of a glass sheet insert, try plexi glass with the edges and corners sanded. Or you could try out the ziplock bag method. Much cheaper and works great!
    Tin Can

Or you could try out the ziplock bag method. Much cheaper and works great!
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    It doesn't work well according to the example there.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Why re-invent the wheel! Flat bottom trays or dip and dunk tanks and get on with it. I know this works. The proof is in the putting. Need I say more?