Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Excited and Stoked, 4x5 Black Edition Intrepid

Excited and Stoked, 4x5 Black Edition Intrepid

This post isn't meant to brag only to rant about being excited about my first view camera, I'm excited. After just over 5 and a half weeks I got a notification today from DHL that I should receive my package stateside in about a week. So far I have already the Fujinon 75mm with recessed lensboard, the 150mm Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital (red ring) and a 300mm Schneider-Krieuznach Symmar-S which might be too large for the little Intrepid, I'll wait and see. Also have 5 used film holders, cable release, 10 sheets of Velvia 100, and 10 sheets of Ektar 100 with a changing bag of course.

In the order I have bought the following:

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
    QTY
    PRICE
    Black Edition Intrepid 4x5
    1 £291.67
    Intrepid 4x5 Lens Board
    1 £12.50
    Intrepid 4x5 Lens Board
    1 £12.50
    Intrepid 4x5 Lens Board
    1 £12.50
    TOYO 4x5 Film Holder
    2 £175.00
    4x5 / 5x7 Dark Cloth
    1 £48.33

Hopefully I'm set to learn 4x5 photography. I noticed that Alex Burke is drum scanning 4x5's for $60 each with a file size of 1.7tbs just in case I get lucky with a keeper. https://www.alexburkephoto.com/drum-scanning
    Can't wait!
    Last edited by shutterbug guy; 8-Oct-2020 at 18:11.

Re: Excited and Stoked, 4x5 Black Edition Intrepid

All good!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug guy View Post
    This post isn't meant to brag only to rant about being excited about my first view camera, I'm excited. After just over 5 and a half weeks I got a notification today from DHL that I should receive my package stateside in about a week. So far I have already the Fujinon 75mm with recessed lensboard, the 150mm Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital (red ring) and a 300mm Schneider-Krieuznach Symmar-S which might be too large for the little Intrepid, I'll wait and see. Also have 5 used film holders, cable release, 10 sheets of Velvia 100, and 10 sheets of Ektar 100 with a changing bag of course.

In the order I have bought the following:

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
    QTY
    PRICE
    Black Edition Intrepid 4x5
    1£291.67
    Intrepid 4x5 Lens Board
    1£12.50
    Intrepid 4x5 Lens Board
    1£12.50
    Intrepid 4x5 Lens Board
    1£12.50
    TOYO 4x5 Film Holder
    2£175.00
    4x5 / 5x7 Dark Cloth
    1£48.33

Hopefully I'm set to learn 4x5 photography. I noticed that Alex Burke is drum scanning 4x5's for $60 each with a file size of 1.7tb's just in case I get lucky with a keeper. https://www.alexburkephoto.com/drum-scanning
    Can't wait!
    I love your excitement, reminds me of when I started ... ! It’s great!

Just one comment, you may not want to start using your expensive velvia sheets. You’re bound to make some mistakes until you get the gist of it (we all have) and it sucks to throw $5 color sheets (plus developing). I’d start with some cheap b&w until you feel good. You may even want to develop those at home! It’s really super easy.

Your 300 mm will work fine... if you have a stable tripod and not much wind.

Post some when you get some shots!

Good luck and go out and shoot.

Congratulations, but that Apo Sironar Digital is not a film lens and you will barely cover 45 film with it.

Thanks for the encouragement Tin Can.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post

Just one comment, you may not want to start using your expensive velvia sheets. You’re bound to make some mistakes until you get the gist of it (we all have) and it sucks to throw $5 color sheets (plus developing). I’d start with some cheap b&w until you feel good. You may even want to develop those at home! It’s really super easy.

If I get lucky I will certainly post a keeper or two hopefully.

I've considered B&W, perhaps I need to reconsider and yes I cut my teeth in grade school developing Brownie 120 film in the downstairs bathroom progressing to the yearbook and newspaper high school staff with their own darkroom. So I've had a little experience, lol, just not recently. Heck, I used to color process using the C-41 chemistry and with print drums on a motorized agitator, those were the days. All in 120 and mostly 35mm B&W bulk film rolls. I've always dreamed of owning and using a view camera and now I have a chance. I'll probably stumble and make huge errors, but hey, life is short.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Congratulations, but that Apo Sironar Digital is not a film lens and you will barely cover 45 film with it.
    You have peeved my curiosity. Why is it not a film lens and will it affect image quality? I was previously thinking that this lens might be the highest quality lens I have, am I wrong? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug guy View Post
    You have peeved my curiosity. Why is it not a film lens and will it affect image quality? I was previously thinking that this lens might be the highest quality lens I have, am I wrong? Thanks
    Your not wrong but it is corrected for medium format digital imaging. Optimal aperture is f8 rather then f22 as the film versions were. It also covers a much smaller image circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Your not wrong but it is corrected for medium format digital imaging. Optimal aperture is f8 rather then f22 as the film versions were. It also covers a much smaller image circle.
    That is good to know, all info I previously lacked, so thanks! So good to know that limited tilt/shift and f8 are the limitations, appreciate the kind and informative responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post

With the risk of over replying, here's a couple of shots taken with my Hasselblad X1DII that I'm considering for a reshoot with the 4x5.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chimney-Rock-Helicon-Pyramid-49mp.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	208419

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Job_0858.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	208420

Not real sure if these are worthy, but hey all that matters is that I enjoy them.