Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Southern Oregon Coast

Suggestions for Southern Oregon Coast

I'm planning a trip of about 4-6 days to the southern Oregon coast, probably starting from the Port Orford, Oregon area and working south from there down through Cape Sebastian, maybe down to Brookings. However, I could go farther south from Brookings if there is anything really good down there (not planning on any redwoods though for this trip). I have a very general familiarity with that part of the coast but if anyone has suggestions for specific photography locations I'd like to hear them. Also, I was hoping to pick one town in which to be based and make day trips from there. I was thinking of Gold Beach or maybe Brookings, if anyone has any suggestions for which one of those two would be better, or if another place entirely would be better, I'd like to know that too. Thanks.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Re: Suggestions for Southern Oregon Coast

Bandon is outstanding. It's got some of the most beautiful scenery on the Oregon coast. It's a must for a photographic trip. It sounds like you want your main location to be pretty far south. Bandon is a good candidate.

Newport is a classic sea coast town. There are a lot of photographic opportunities in the harbor area.

Of course, there's Forence and all the dunes there.

As a short stop, there's a state park with beds of insect eating plants. I can't remember the name, but I think that it's about 2/3rds down the Oregon coast. Sounds gruesome, but it isn't. Different and interesting, though.

I don't recall all that much that's interesting below Brookings. I don't venture much down that far, though.

You might consider going inland from Gold Beach, where you'll find Rogue River territory.

If you go a farther south, the quick drive up to Cape Sebastian is a pretty incredible long-distance view from high up. Just south of there is Meyers and Pistol River Beaches...great low-tide beach of sea stacks on a wide open beach. Farther south is Brookings -- Lone Ranch Beach just north of town is nice.

Farther north -- near the town of Coos Bay, Sunset Bay and Shore Acres are very nice.

I agree with the list so far, and add Humbug Mountain State Park north of Gold Beach and possibly the inland road from Gold Beach to the confluence of the Rogue and Illinois Rivers and to Agness. And if you're adventurous, the road over the divide from Agness to Coquille. There are some smaller waterfalls and lots of scenic and forests views, along with a nice high bridge to see the river. And the drive out of Coquille back to the coast highway is nice too.

Good luck. And I learned the hard way, watch out for poison oak in the spring. If you allergic to it, it hurts, fortunately I wasn't as I learned by standing it.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Thanks for the suggestions. I've never even heard of poison oak and have no idea what it looks like so I guess I'll just take my chances.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've never even heard of poison oak and have no idea what it looks like so I guess I'll just take my chances.
    "Three leaves -- Let it be!" It always has leaves grouped in threes -- nice and shiny, too, from the oils the leaves produce that cause the allergic reaction of one's skin. Can be a vine or bush. Some folks to not react to it upon first contact, but will the second time. A good case will be two to 3 weeks of misery.

One can get the oils on one's shoes and pant legs and get secondary exposure later. I use to get it from dogs and mules. And my wife got it from washing my work clothes.

Most state parks will have posters up showing what the plant looks like. It is a good idea to be aware of it!

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    "Three leaves -- Let it be!" It always has leaves grouped in threes -- nice and shiny, too, from the oils the leaves produce that cause the allergic reaction of one's skin. Can be a vine or bush. Some folks to not react to it upon first contact, but will the second time.
    And some folks just don't react to it. I spent 4 years in the Eugene office and worked in SW Oregon, in the Umpqua, Rogue and Illinois River basins. I was the chosen one to cut brush since I didn't react to it. My wife wasn't so lucky both on trips and touching my clothes from trips.

Learn about it and watch out for it, especially in the early spring when the leaves aren't fully developed. Good luck.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

YOu don't need suggestions. WHen you get to the area just take every every possible approach to the coast. You can't miss!

"Three leaves let it be"

If that's poison oak than what the heck is poison ivy out there?
    I thought they were two different species.

Quote Originally Posted by amilne View Post
    "Three leaves let it be"

If that's poison oak than what the heck is poison ivy out there?
    I thought they were two different species.
    Two different, but very similar species...generally...poison oak in the West and poision ivy in the east...and then there is poison sumac, a slight different species not found in the west.

Vaughn