Page 102 of 655 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202602 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 6546

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

8x10 Xray film, gundlach radar

This was actual project for which i got this film to exeriment with . Had to play with scanning a bit to get it just right.

Scan-130310-0005www by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

5 minutes in 1+50 roldinal, constant agitation by unidrum. More i work with that film in studio - more impressed i am with possibilities.. Specially considering that single frame cost just as much as single frame on 6x6 rolleiflex

here is more "normal" one. Straight scan.

Scan-130310-0004www by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

Lee Smathers

That first image looks weird. Is that something I should expect from this x-ray film? or scans of this film? The second image is very beautiful, however.

Quote Originally Posted by photoevangelist View Post
    That first image looks weird. Is that something I should expect from this x-ray film? or scans of this film? The second image is very beautiful, however.
    First image is specific to style of personal project that i am working on. It is not intended to sell you on shooting xray film, i assure you

Lee Smathers

Well, I got my holders in the mail the other day. I had some time to try xray film. I'm using Fuji HR-A, which I can only find information on in Korean. Anyways, I tried the ISO 25, 50, 100, and 200 developed for 7 min at 20 degrees C. I tried Xtonol (XTOL + Rodinal), a combo I've been itching to try. Constant agitation in a tray for first minute and two lifts on one corner every 15 seconds and changing corners. I then contact printed on Ilford multigrade RC paper, no filter. It's really contrasty, but ISO 200 looks the best. Maybe I should do a more dilute developer (e.g. Rodinal 1:200), reduce my times, or try printing with #0 filter. I mixed XTOL 1:2 total 1500ml + 15ml Rodinal. I'll try to do scans tomorrow, but I'd really like to do good contact prints since that's my end game for a proposed project.

Oh yeah, I'm trying Jim's KISS advice by not stripping the back.

Lee Smathers

As to Jim's request, a darkroom print:

Fuji HT-A Test with Xtonal by Lee Smathers, on Flickr

8x10 Korona, 210 Schneider Symmar-S
    Fuji HT-A @ ISO 200

Pre-wash 4 min
    Developed in Xtonal (XTOL 1:2 + Rodinal 1:100), 7 min (tray developed), 20 degrees C
    Kodak Stop Bath 1:30 min
    Ilford Hypam 1:4, 4 min
    Water Wash 30 min.
    Photoflo

Contact Printed on Ilford Multigrade RC with no filter, scanned with no sharpening or adjustments in Photoshop.

Lee, did you have any problem with scratches? I am plagued with them in my processing and am probably going to have to resort to processing one sheet at a time with tray processing. I had not heard of the agitation method you mentioned - raising and alternating corners. I usually process 4-6 sheets at a time pulling the bottom sheet out and laying it on top. Scratch city! BTW, I have gotten very good sharpness from my scans and have not striped the back side of any negs.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Hi gang, I'm just getting back into film and picked up a quarter plate Graflex and a generic 4x5 rail. I want to start with xray film just to get used to the gear again.

For anyone that is cutting your film down, are there any tips for getting good cuts without scratching? Are you just using a scissors, or a blade cutter of some kind?

Randy, flat-bottomed trays work well. I've even developed 14x17 sheets in them with no scratches. I agitate by alternately lifting the 4 sides of the tray, every minute.
    photozz, I've used scissors with no problem. I quarter up the sheet with a fine-tipped marker first.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Lee, did you have any problem with scratches? I am plagued with them in my processing and am probably going to have to resort to processing one sheet at a time with tray processing. I had not heard of the agitation method you mentioned - raising and alternating corners. I usually process 4-6 sheets at a time pulling the bottom sheet out and laying it on top. Scratch city! BTW, I have gotten very good sharpness from my scans and have not striped the back side of any negs.
    Randy, processing more than one sheet at a time is indeed Scratch City. Even when you think you are being careful! One at a time in flat-bottomed tray with the rocking the four corners of the tray method works really well.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Remember, when dealing with film, any film you have to be careful. Now with x-ray film you have emulsion on both sides so you have to be even more careful. It is interesting that some of you have cut down the film to other sizes so congratson that. Once you learn this stuff it makes it one more tool to use. Pleaselet me remind everyone to show as many "prints" as you can because in my mind at least it is the final presentation that counts. Thanks all.