Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: compur electronic shutter 3

compur electronic shutter 3

Does it have the same thread as compur 3? I have a Heliar 210 in compur electronic 3 but can not screw in compur 3.

Re: compur electronic shutter 3

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Does it have the same thread as compur 3? I have a Heliar 210 in compur electronic 3 but can not screw in compur 3.
    That's very strange.
    I have two Compur Electronic No.3 that are perfectly compatible with any cell made for standard No.3 shutters. I just got another one, which had a convertible Symmar 180mm on it; after taking out the lens cells, i saw that they were fitted via two cup-shaped adapters. Unfortunately the adapters are fixed with some kind of glue, and all my efforts to unscrew them from the cells were unsuccessful. I haven't tested the third Compur Electronic with some known No.3 lens, but i'll do it soon, with two Fujinon SF 250mm cells.
    I guess they will fit fine, and that IF i succeed in unscrewing the adapters, the convertible Symmar 180mm will show its standard No.1 threadings.

AFAIK the Heliar 210mm came in Compound shutters. I know because i own one... but i suspect that late coated examples were probably fitted in a more modern shutter, although i haven't seen a single example with my eyes.
    IF the Heliar cells were originally made for a Compound No.3, probably they are fitted with the help of two adapters; are you absolutely sure that there are no adapters left inside the Compur Electronic?
    The two adapters i have mentioned, for the Symmar 180mm, were either factory made, or at least realized at a very professional level: they are so well constructed, and blackened, that i didn't realize that the two cells had an adapter on them, they looked as expecially made for a No.3 shutter! I had to look again, paying some more attention, to realize that the barrels were not a single body, but actually made in two parts.

have fun

CJ

It looks like original, as it should be. I will upload some photos, I checked last night, both front and rear threads dont match. BTW, is the plug on the electronic shutter standard? I mean, is there anywhere that I can buy a female plug to connect with the shutter?

Heliar 210 is 56mm and Compur 3 Elec is 58mm

Find a 210mm Xenar from 1970 in the early Copal 3 shutter and the spacing and threads will both be correct. So will the aperture scale.

Songyun, is your shutter faulty or is it just missing the battery compartment? The compartments do show up from time to time on eBay. I haven't found a compatible socket for the battery compartment terminals but you could probably get by just soldering wires to the terminals (top terminal is positive) and using an AA battery holder. They are nominally 4.5v but anywhere between 3v and 6v seems fine and I've heard of people using just 1 AA battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ewins View Post
    Songyun, is your shutter faulty or is it just missing the battery compartment? The compartments do show up from time to time on eBay. I haven't found a compatible socket for the battery compartment terminals but you could probably get by just soldering wires to the terminals (top terminal is positive) and using an AA battery holder. They are nominally 4.5v but anywhere between 3v and 6v seems fine and I've heard of people using just 1 AA battery.
    I can not find the battery compartment, I spent a whole night looking for it...

I just noticed that my compur #3 electronic has an 58mm front and 56mm back threads, strange! I got a nice 135/2.8 biotessar and was looking for a shutter for it, tried to screw it in my compur #3, and it fitted! But only on the rear side, so i checked it out and yeah, it has different thread sizes. There might be and brass adapter on the back side, but even that would be strange as i't has symmar 300mm elements in it, I thought these would be standard!

As for the battery, I just use 3 x lr44 taped together.. works really nice!

BTW. Copal 3s would have 56mm threads? And maybe some older compurs, compounds?.. can't afford a copal 3s.

PS. I asked a friend about this, he has a copal 3 with and older symmar 300mm.. same deal. Different thread sizes front/rear on the shutter.

Monkeymon, just to be sure I checked my 300 Symmar (also in a Compur Electronic) and the front thread measures 56mm and the rear 58mm. However it is quite clear to see that the rear cell has an adapter on it and when you look closely at the front of the shutter you can see the top lip of the adapter sitting above the shutter. The changeover from Compound 3 (approx 56mm) to Copal/Compur 3 (58mm) happened right at the end of the Symmar production so I guess Schneider just made adapters for the 300. The same situation exists with the 240 Symmar which went from Compur 2 to Copal 3.

I have successfully removed the adapters from off the lens cells but I imagine getting them out of the shutter would be a lot harder and probably best left to a repairman.

I have exactly the same problem . Since I cant find a correct shutter for the lens I got some batteries from the "small battery company " and my shutter works fine , although the batteries are expensive

I recently trading some 4x5 equipment for a Deardorff 8x10 back and a 165 Angulon in a Compur electronic 3 shutter. I have ordered a replacement battery from the Canadian Radio Shack replacement (The Source).

However given these batteries and their replacements are expensive and getting as rare as rocking horse droppings, it would be useful to know whether leaving the shutter connected to the battery draws power from it, and whether it would be better to leave the battery disconnected from the shutter...