Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favorite photographers and genres?

Re: Your favorite photographers and genres?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    William Mortensen and Sally Mann

Both weirdos that do things a bit different
    I'll say

Sometimes, I just don't get it. If I were to put this photo up at a critique, or even post it here, I would probably be drawn, quartered, tarred and feathered. Drew Wiley would have a freaking field day. But I guess because Sugimoto is famous somehow this means something or is even good? Looks like an out of focus photo he forgot to throw away. I hate when I think too much, which is probably why I just like more traditional stuff like landscapes?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hiroshi-sugimoto-chrysler-building.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	187173

Blocked!

Quote Originally Posted by Laminarman View Post
    I'll say
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Blocked!
    Hahaha! Thanks for the morning laugh : )

multiplex

Sometimes, I just don't get it. If I were to put this photo up at a critique, or even post it here, I would probably be drawn, quartered, tarred and feathered. Drew Wiley would have a freaking field day. But I guess because Sugimoto is famous somehow this means something or is even good? Looks like an out of focus photo he forgot to throw away. I hate when I think too much, which is probably why I just like more traditional stuff like landscapes?

Laminarman:
    Doesn't look like a throw away to me. It's the perfect combination of form, light and fantasy, like a dream while you are awake.
    Thanks for posting this !
    John

I'll say
    Why do you call Sally Mann a weirdo??

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Dean Collins, arguably the greatest commercial photographer in history, who left us way too soon. IMO he was also arguably the greatest photo educator. Anyone who had the good fortune to attend his seminars and was able to speak one on one with him will not forget him. Randy, I will make a note to myself to get his lighting series DVDs to you.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

My most admired photographers are Ansel Adams (landscape, conservationists, and innovator), Edward Weston (artist innovator), (Pedro Guerrero (architectural work), Dorothea Lange (her work during the depression), Sebastiaō Salgado (documentary work), and currently Justin Lowery (landscape photographer).
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

I have to agree with you. This concept is quite similar to Warhol’s 200 Campbells soup cans. It leaves me flat.

As for my preferences landscape/old things/architecture are probably it. Adams because he broke very new ground, William H. Jackson because he had a long, long life documenting the expanding American West in the 19th. Century. And I think Sally Mann. I’m a little uncomfortable with her intimate subject matter, but you can’t fault her for originality. Maybe Steichen (sp?) because he had a seminal effect on photography as art.

As for the other names mentioned and all the ones I studied in school, i think time and serendipity have as much to do with their acclaim as talent.

Frankly no one posting on this forum needs to play second fiddle to any of the ‘names’ who’ve come before.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Why do you call Sally Mann a weirdo??
    Well, let's just say that her style is not my thing although there are a few images that are quite beautiful. Randy called her a weirdo, I was merely agreeing : ) I really don't care what someone does in the name of artistic expression but I guess I just don't get it. As far as the out of focus image by Sugimoto, I'm just saying there are other things I'd rather see in a fantastical dreamy blurred way and she wouldn't look like a building. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I once did very well in an art appreciation class when I interpreted four museum works with total and utter bullshit talk and nothing I saw was in line with what I wrote. One piece was a room full of burnt toast hanging on fish line from the ceiling that you had to walk through without touching. Some were buttered, some were high, some low, some with cinnamon, some white bread, some wheat bread, some whole grain stuff. BURNT TOAST. Lightly, darkly or even severely burned. This guy really laid it all on the table. About 500 pieces of toast. I interpreted it as mans struggle with mankind who all may be different and the path we followed through the toast maze was "big brother" making us conform. I got an A++++++ I saw burnt toast, that was all. Writing "I see burnt toast" gives me an F. Call me a self preservationist. I see a blurred building although I admit it's more than just blurred as I study it. It has something else going on. With Sally Mann I see some good stuff, but mostly just naked kids and husband. I am proving myself to be the least art educated person on this forum, right? Not really, I think we enjoy what we enjoy for ourselves and if some photographer out there touches us, it's as much us as them. For example, I don't usually like still life photography, but Igor's work with Polaroids has changed that literally over night. Gorgeous. That's what it's all about, maybe my eyes will open to other photographers as I become familiar. And I've read all the books "Why Photographs Work" and "The Photographers Eye," "Ways of Seeing" and a million others both on photography and art. But I operate on a guttural level- I like it or don't. Kind of like broccoli.