Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Norma 1966 Price List

Sinar Norma 1966 Price List

Afternoon All,

As we are all cooped up for ages, here is something some here may find interesting as reading material.

A Sinar Norma Price List from 1966:

Sinar Norma Price List July 1966 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Sinar Norma Price List July 1966 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Truly "The World's Most Versatile View Camera System"

Enjoy! :smile:
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Re: Sinar Norma 1966 Price List

Yep, 1966 was the year I bought my 4 X 5 SInar, Brooks Cameras, San Francisco, $468. Not an inconsiderable sum then. Had just gotten a job after graduating from UC Berkeley. That was a bad year to run out your student deferment...

David

David,

Thanks for that Norma story.

BTW if you want to zoom in on catalog numbers, descriptions, prices etc just click on my flikr picture, than click again, and the type gets VERY BIG.

Hopefully this list is helpful to some here, in terms of building up a Norma system. Also some here may not aware how much Norma stuff was actually available.

I've always called the Norma "The Erector Set of LF Photography". Nobody else is even close.

― Mark Twain

Sinar aka "Erector set of LF photography" is not always appreciated or needed by some LF photographers. Those that have come to understand and fully utilize the ability of what this Erector set of LF photography is capable of and how it can free them from numerous camera centric limitations encountered in LF photography can come to value it's capabilities very highly. Others, not so much at all.

IMO takes time and dealing with the real world challenges of LF photo needs and not all need what the Sinar system is fully capable of. Today, most who enter into the endeavor of LF photography want a lightweight, compact, low cost camera. Limitations of cameras like these are not fully appreciated or understood until the real world challenges of LF photography begins to take hold. Many never get that deep in to LF photography, others push the hardware needs of a LF camera to all it is capable, how any LF camera is used and what is expected has a LOT to do with perception and choice of camera and all.

Boils back down to print image goals again as the camera and all are mere tools to achieve these print image goals.

According to the USD inflation calculator $468 USD in 1966 equals about $3,700 USD in 2020.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post

I've always called the Norma "The Erector Set of LF Photography". Nobody else is even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    David,

Thanks for that Norma story.

BTW if you want to zoom in on catalog numbers, descriptions, prices etc just click on my flikr picture, than click again, and the type gets VERY BIG.

Hopefully this list is helpful to some here, in terms of building up a Norma system. Also some here may not aware how much Norma stuff was actually available.

Thank you for making this information available. I should still have the 1966 price list in my archives; this is a bit easier to access.

Bernice beat me to posting what $468 is in 2020 dollars.

David

Drew Wiley

I tend to go around with a pure vintage Norma, but sometimes hybridize it with components from later Sinar models. That's what so nice about the system; they kept it largely interchangeable.

So, I’ve read that the P series is the spiritual successor to the Norma? I recently saw a P1 system for sale pretty cheap online, but I opted for their super cheap Technikardan instead because of portability, but it did tempt me.

I remember seeing an Annie Leibovitz exhibition at Wexner Center with wife, I remember a mural photo of Richard Avedon's shooting closet on the Museum wall. Avedon used a Norma 8x10 Rear Standard with an F/F+ Front Standard. Always thought that was an odd combination, but I've never tried that combo.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 16-May-2020 at 00:45.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Sinar aka "Erector set of LF photography" is not always appreciated or needed by some LF photographers. Those that have come to understand and fully utilize the ability of what this Erector set of LF photography is capable of and how it can free them from numerous camera centric limitations encountered in LF photography can come to value it's capabilities very highly. Others, not so much at all.

IMO takes time and dealing with the real world challenges of LF photo needs and not all need what the Sinar system is fully capable of. Today, most who enter into the endeavor of LF photography want a lightweight, compact, low cost camera. Limitations of cameras like these are not fully appreciated or understood until the real world challenges of LF photography begins to take hold. Many never get that deep in to LF photography, others push the hardware needs of a LF camera to all it is capable, how any LF camera is used and what is expected has a LOT to do with perception and choice of camera and all.

Boils back down to print image goals again as the camera and all are mere tools to achieve these print image goals.

According to the USD inflation calculator $468 USD in 1966 equals about $3,700 USD in 2020.

Bernice
    Hi Bernice

Well said and I agree ^^. Thank you for your contribution.

― Mark Twain

Bernice...a sincere, knowing, and heartfelt thank you for your post. I only wish it could have appeared about...oh...maybe late 2004 or so!

And that price...adjusted for 2020? Still would be an unbelievable bargain!