Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Make your own helical focus mount

Re: Make your own helical focus mount

Where are the pictures that go with all these wonderful home made 6x12 cameras. There's such a lot of imagination and resourcefulness in making the cameras. So we'd love to see the results of all this work!

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Here is my contribution. Some of you may have seen this before.

http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/pano612.html

Steve.

Steve,

What's your CNC machine? This is one of the most beautifully crafted mods I've seen. How good is your calibration of your cone and what does it weigh. I can immediately see the advantage of wood over metal in the winter months.

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Where are the pictures that go with all these wonderful home made 6x12 cameras. There's such a lot of imagination and resourcefulness in making the cameras. So we'd love to see the results of all this work!

Asher
    I think I've posted this before - my rather agricultural Kodak 6x14 with 90/6.8 Angulon.
    http://www.paulewins.com/old_site/re..._panoramic.htm

I've also hacked a Holga 6x12 pinhole to add a 65/8 Super Angulon. I've made several attempts to build a lever wind 6x14 so I an avoid counting numbers through a ruby window but haven't quite cracked it yet.

Steve, What's your CNC machine?
    It's a two head Excellon machine with a 600 x 450mm cutting area on each side. We originally bought it to drill and route printed circuit boards (which is what it was designed for) but we don't make our own PCBs now. It now gets used to make test jigs and assembly jigs - mainly out of PVC, nylon and Perspex sheet up to 9mm thick.

I learned to use it a few years ago knowing full well its potential to make items not for work use or 'training pieces' as I call them!!

This is one of the most beautifully crafted mods I've seen.
    Thank you.

How good is your calibration of your cone
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you mean how does the distance scale on the focus ring match up to reality, it is correct at infinity but not shorter. I do have a file somewhere which I can print out and stick in place for more accuracy but in reality, there is such a huge depth of field, even wide open at f8 that it doesn't need to be very accurate. I know where on the scale hyperfocal distance is for f16 and I tend to keep it there. I originally was intending to place the lens at hyperfocal anyway and not worry about focusing.

what does it weigh.
    According to my not very accurate kitchen scales, about 3lb or 1.4kg.

Some pictures taken with the camera: http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/album/979137/

Steve.

And here is a picture of the camera completed with its matching oak back. When the web page was made I only had a temporary grey PVC back for it. I have also put the viewfinder in a better enclosure.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    And here is a picture of the camera completed with its matching oak back. When the web page was made I only had a temporary grey PVC back for it. I have also put the viewfinder in a better enclosure.

Steve,

I love your work and the pictures make it really worthwhile. You should post some in this thread!

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ewins View Post
    I think I've posted this before - my rather agricultural Kodak 6x14 with 90/6.8 Angulon.
    http://www.paulewins.com/old_site/re..._panoramic.htm
    Paul,

That's impressive and very deserving for a camera that's languishing unattended! Are you using it now? Any pics to show? The fun red wire on the spool area makes it look really Rube Goldbergish, as if you have added some nerdy new function.

Asher

Asher - a couple of old shots from Orkney and the Highlands (around 2005). I had trouble with the winding mechanism jamming and then breaking (hence the red wire and rubber solution) and getting precise focus is difficult as the camera isn't the most rigid thing on earth. I'm heading off to NZ for a week in January so I might beef it up a bit before then. As you can see there is a bit of vignetting happening in the corners but otherwise the old Angulon isn't doing too bad a job.

Paul,

What a rich delight! These work for as well as a shot of rare malt Scotch! vignetting? If there's non there, I add it! There's no reason to have even illumination, it's just an obsession of lens collectors! It's only really important when stitching images or doing scientific work.

I love both the pictures and at first I thought this has to be 8x10 and then I remembered. You know we see a lot of Fotoman cameras advertised but hardly ever any pictures. It's a treat to see your work. I hope you'll share some more!

Asher

I have one of those Kodak 3C cameras that I really want someone to convert to use 120 roll film. I do not have the time or equipment to do it myself. I love the shots!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome