Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reversal processing

Re: Reversal processing

Quote Originally Posted by pkr1979 View Post
    Hehe - it seems like the Peters do :-) Pere, thanks for all that info - I quite like what you have achieved. I will admit though I am slightly reluctant to use that dichromate stuff ;-)
    No problem if handled with necessary care. With HP5 permanganate rehalogenated what was developed and result was black. This was using the Foma reversal kit bleach. I'm to try if other permanganate formulas may work. I also don't like dichromate, but I feel able to use safely if necessary.

Don't hesitate to ask in the future if I can help, by PM or Flickr mail, I can delay answer a bit because sometimes I disconnect from forums...

Vince Donovan

Quote Originally Posted by pkr1979 View Post
    Hi all! And thanks for all this brilliant feedback :-)

I have 2 HP5+ films at the dr5 lab at the moment - waiting to get them processed and sent back (one exposed at 400 and the other at 1600). I am sure I will be pleased with the results but it is a bit inconvenient being dependant on a lab that far away (I live in Oslo, Norway). Neither did I develop my Agfa Scala myself... I sent it to Studio 13 in Germany as well and was also very happy about the results and service. I would be a happy man if ADOX could start producing that film again after taking over the Agfa plant. I havent really done any development myself but as I really like positive film I might have to as no one in Oslo does BW reversal nor E-6.

Folks - thanks for all these links. The easiest seems to be to try out Ilfords instructions. Vince Donovan, As far as I can tell its in the "First Development" you consider at what ISO you shot at. And I assume that 12 minutes is for the box speed for the film? How did you adjust... or add or reduce minutes in that part taking the ISO into account?

Cheers
    Peter
    Peter, good question. I actually did an exposure test for the 12 minute development time. While box speed looked good, the frames that were exposed at ISO 200 were snappier in the highlights without being blown out. Later I accidentally processed some HP5 exposed at ISO 200 for 16 minutes. Those highlights were WAY blown out, but that might be a better time for ISO 400. I would certainly test it.

Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post
    Peter, good question. I actually did an exposure test for the 12 minute development time. While box speed looked good, the frames that were exposed at ISO 200 were snappier in the highlights without being blown out. Later I accidentally processed some HP5 exposed at ISO 200 for 16 minutes. Those highlights were WAY blown out, but that might be a better time for ISO 400. I would certainly test it.
    Hello Vince,

I'd like to ask you what bleach formula did you use for HP5

Regards

As I have posted before, the easy way is to dupe a negative with negative film... Little fuss/muss with the process, and you have a good negative to print from later... Downshoot it, or contact print it to your dupe film, and process it in a moderate higher contrast B/W film developer... Looks great!!!

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    As I have posted before, the easy way is to dupe a negative with negative film... Little fuss/muss with the process, and you have a good negative to print from later... Downshoot it, or contact print it to your dupe film, and process it in a moderate higher contrast B/W film developer... Looks great!!!

Steve K
    Yes !!! This is something I've to try. This delivers a high degree of control as one is able to bring the slide to the desired point. And you have both the negative an the slide.

Anyway I consider a valuable skill to get directly the slide one wants, as cinematographers do when doing BW reversal.

So I was planning learning both ways. The way you point is very interesting, just using low ISO film for the dupe to conserve sharpness, making contact copy with emulsion sides in contact...

I feel both ways require the same: accurate BTZS calibration.

Vince Donovan

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Hello Vince,

I'd like to ask you what bleach formula did you use for HP5

Regards
    800ml distilled water + 47ml Sulfuric Acid (48%) + 10grams Potassium Dichromate. Top up to 1liter

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    No problem if handled with necessary care. With HP5 permanganate rehalogenated what was developed and result was black. This was using the Foma reversal kit bleach. I'm to try if other permanganate formulas may work. I also don't like dichromate, but I feel able to use safely if necessary.

Don't hesitate to ask in the future if I can help, by PM or Flickr mail, I can delay answer a bit because sometimes I disconnect from forums...
    Will do - thanks - cheers :-)

Thanks Vince :-)

800ml distilled water + 47ml Sulfuric Acid (48%) + 10grams Potassium Dichromate. Top up to 1liter
    Thanks !