Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: Should I Drum Scan, X1 Flextight Scan, or use the Epson V850 w/Aztek Wet Mount Kit?

Re: Should I Drum Scan, X1 Flextight Scan, or use the Epson V850 w/Aztek Wet Mount Ki

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Hello,

I could not find that file, discarded it for sure. Would not have been very fair anyway since different lenses were used and the comparison of 120 Pentax Macro to Apo Rodagon D 1:4 would have probably tilted the comparison more toward the Sony.

However, I do have a pretty good comparison between the Sony a7r iv , 3-pass with 16 shot pixel shift, compared to Fuji GFX-50R, 3-pass stitching. Both were done with the Apo Rodagon D 1:4 at f/5.6. This was made of a 5X7 negative of a scene that has a lot of pretty nice detail, probably shot at f/11 or f/16.

If interested please let me know and I will send you a link to a Dropbox folder with the two files.

I am attaching jpeg crops of an important area of the two files, not sure how much of the detail will actually show. The crop is in the center of the scene, just above the central fountain. My evaluation is that the Sony file is slightly better, but you can evaluate for yourself. The fuzzy area above the crest is probably a pigeon taking flight.

Sandy
    Sandy, thank you so, so much! Yes, can you please send me the Dropbox folder?

At first glance, it seems like the Fuji GFX 50r is a little sharper, with greater contrast, no?

Believe it or not, I was very, very close to purchasing a used, yet immaculate GFX 50r and Pentax SMC 120mm f/4 Macro from my local camera store yesterday. I stopped at the last second because someone selling a Sony a7R IV on Craigslist finally messaged me back. I’m meeting with them later today to check it out.

It’s such a tough, borderline agonizing, choice for me. Do I choose the 16-shot pixel shifting a7R IV with the Sigma 70mm f/2.8 ART macro (a lens I already have) with a newer sensor, or the more romantic GFX 50R with a larger sensor and arguably better glass?

Besides the obvious difference in size, does anyone know the difference between the 51mp sensor in the GFX 50r and 61mp sensor in the a7R IV? I’ve read that they have different pixel sizes, with the GFX 50r having the larger pixels. Evidently larger pixels mean sharper image quality?

Re: Should I Drum Scan, X1 Flextight Scan, or use the Epson V850 w/Aztek Wet Mount Ki

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    Sandy, thank you so, so much! Yes, can you please send me the Dropbox folder?

At first glance, it seems like the Fuji GFX 50r is a little sharper, with greater contrast, no?

Believe it or not, I was very, very close to purchasing a used, yet immaculate GFX 50r and Pentax SMC 120mm f/4 Macro from my local camera store yesterday. I stopped at the last second because someone selling a Sony a7R IV on Craigslist finally messaged me back. I’m meeting with them later today to check it out.

It’s such a tough, borderline agonizing, choice for me. Do I choose the 16-shot pixel shifting a7R IV with the Sigma 70mm f/2.8 ART macro (a lens I already have) with a newer sensor, or the more romantic GFX 50R with a larger sensor and arguably better glass?

Besides the obvious difference in size, does anyone know the difference between the 51mp sensor in the GFX 50r and 61mp sensor in the a7R IV? I’ve read that they have different pixel sizes, with the GFX 50r having the larger pixels. Evidently larger pixels mean sharper image quality?

Please send me a pm with your email address and I will share the folder that has the full size comparison with you.

I think you really can not go wrong with either choice, but do bear in mind that there is a much wider choice of glass, and less expensive, for the a7r iv than for the GFX 50R. But for digitizing film I believe that the a7r iv with 16 shot pixel shifting is slightly more capable than the GFX 50R, at least when comparing resolution with a single shot.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 26-Sep-2020 at 19:17.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Does anyone know if the Voigtlander MACRO APO-LANTHAR 110mm f/2.5 lens would be a “better” lens to use with my new Sony a7R IV for negative/transparency light box scanning, especially when utilizing the 16-shot pixel-shift mode?

I already have the 70mm Sigma ART Macro f/2.8 that I use specifically for this type of “scanning”, but I’m looking to get another lens for my Sony a7R IV anyway as the 70mm Sigma Macro ART is literally the only lens I have for it.

Would 110mm be too long a lens for light box scanning?

Does anyone know if the Voigtlander MACRO APO-LANTHAR 110mm f/2.5 lens would be a “better” lens to use with my new Sony a7R IV for negative/transparency light box scanning, especially when utilizing the 16-shot pixel-shift mode?
    Fred Miranda reports curvature of field with the 110mm APO-Lanthar, but it may not matter in your use case. See https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/to...251/0#14688777

"By design, macro lenses are pretty much flat field, especially those with longer focal lengths. It was not something I really expected to see with the CV 110/2.5 but it's there at infinity distance. At macro distance, I could not detect any curvature though."

Curvature of field is normally due to lens design and not assembly, so I would be surprised if sample variation would unearth a "flatter" copy than his.

Sigma are due to launch a 105mm f2.8 macro lens for E mount on Wednesday, with perhaps more lenses

Quote Originally Posted by asnapper View Post
    Sigma are due to launch a 105mm f2.8 macro lens for E mount on Wednesday, with perhaps more lenses
    Oh wow! I just got the Voigtlander MACRO APO-LANTHAR 110mm f/2.5. Paired with my new Sony a7R IV w/16-shot pixel shift (240mp), I'm finally getting drum scan quality scans. The manual focus with a large throw is incredibly useful in nailing the focus just right. With the fly-by-wire focus of the Sigma 70mm f/2.8 ART Macro, it's actually really difficult to nail focus.

Nonetheless, I'm really curious about this new 105mm Sigma. Sigma is really knocking it out of the park with their ART lenses.

Oh wow! I just got the Voigtlander MACRO APO-LANTHAR 110mm f/2.5. Paired with my new Sony a7R IV w/16-shot pixel shift (240mp), I'm finally getting drum scan quality scans. The manual focus with a large throw is incredibly useful in nailing the focus just right. With the fly-by-wire focus of the Sigma 70mm f/2.8 ART Macro, it's actually really difficult to nail focus.

Nonetheless, I'm really curious about this new 105mm Sigma. Sigma is really knocking it out of the park with their ART lenses.

I would expect the 105 Sigma macro will be an excellent lens, but won't it also have the focus by wire system used in the 70mm Sigma?

BTW, in terms of resolution it is not hard to get great resolution when digitizing with the Sony a7r iv. But to get really great drum scanner quality will also require reducing flare to a minimum, which involves a large baffle system and efficient lens hood on the lens to limit stray light.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

A 105 will also require a larger, heavy duty copy stand. The 70 makes the working distance a little easier, especially as the format gets big.

I upgraded to a heavy duty Besler copy stand, and that has been a massive workflow and stability improvement.

I second what Sandy says about a lens hood. Using live view, make one that cuts the image through the lens to just a tiny bit over the sensor size. I use black electrical tape and a metal lens hood. Negative masking is also important, as is minimizing any stray light.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Minimizing all stray light is essential, absolutely. I've made masks for my 4x5 and 6x12/6x17 (med. format) negatives and transparencies. When I scan my negs, I make sure to turn off all the lights in my room and scan only at night.

I have a relatively sturdy copy stand, but since the Voigtlander 110mm Macro is built like a tank and weighs a ton, I have noticed a shift in the arm.

I may have to move to a sturdier copy stand.