Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Focusing aids for Chamonix 4x5 cameras

Re: Focusing aids for Chamonix 4x5 cameras

This is not Stranger Things. Get used to the upside down, don’t resist it. After 30-50 shots (depending on the person), it will be second nature. You may even start printing upside down! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    One thing about this, is you can leave it on the camera for protecting the ground glass instead of using the protector that comes with the camera. So it doesn't take up any more room in your bag.
    When I look at the picture of viewfinder #2, I can see a metal spring that seems to touch the ground glas when collapsed. This may not be a problem at first, but I will hike and backpack a lot with that camera and I may pack tightly. When I do this frequently over a longer period of time I fear that the metal spring will hurt the ground glass. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    You can't use it with a loupe unless the loupe is long enough.
    Chamonix makes a carbon loupe which is quite long, I linked to it in the original post and I own it. I wonder wether it is long enough for the viewfinder #2.

Quote Originally Posted by m00dawg View Post
    The main reason I like it is that it's a much better ground glass protector
    Do you think there is a chance that the metal spring that can be seen in the picture will eventually hurt the ground glas? It seems like it would touch the ground glass when the viewfinder is collapsed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kornscharfsteller View Post
    When I look at the picture of viewfinder #2, I can see a metal spring that seems to touch the ground glas when collapsed. This may not be a problem at first, but I will hike and backpack a lot with that camera and I may pack tightly. When I do this frequently over a longer period of time I fear that the metal spring will hurt the ground glass. What do you think?
    The spring doesn't rub against the glass. It's attached to the "outside" of the cover, rather than the inside.

Further, on the Chamonix, that's a protective piece of glass, rather than the actual ground glass.

Yeah just responding to acknowledge the question but basically what grat said. I haven't had any problems with that metal spring. I haven't done true backpacking with the 45F2 yet. I did that on my Intrepid Mk2 (and still might opt for an Intrepid for hardcore backpacking if I ever do that again). I keep my 45 in a...uhh...crap. I think a Lowepro camera backpack for most normal walking around. Works well for me. I haven't packed it in a hiking pack yet (haven't had the need) but I do like that the 45F2 comes with a nice padded pouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kornscharfsteller View Post
    If it's a problem, you can always use the protective ground glass cover that comes with the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    The spring doesn't rub against the glass. It's attached to the "outside" of the cover, rather than the inside.
    It clearly looks like the spring is on the inside in the above picture. Did they assemble it wrong or maybe they changed it and you use a different version?

Reflex finder to compose and dark cloth to finetune. I own the carbon covered flexible viewer but I don’t use it because my 10x loupe is rather short and I can’t come in with that. I have the F2 btw, very happy.

I'll add my two-cents worth of advice here too.

Do try and use the camera as-is, i.e., without any focusing aids at all except a loupe and maybe some reading glasses if you need them and try to get used to it. Really, most of us adapt quickly and find the inverted image actually aids in composition at times by adding an element of abstraction.

If you find you do well without any aids, then you've saved your self money an will save yourself a lot of trouble packing and carrying around an extra piece of gear as well as the time and trouble fiddling around with it to mount and dismount it, etc.

If you find, after giving the inverted image a fair chance, that you still would like a focusing aid, you can always get one then. I'll bet you end up without one.

Best,

Doremus