Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanner Comparison 2019 [Epson Flatbed | Eversmart Flatbed | Drum Scanners]

Re: Scanner Comparison 2019 [Epson Flatbed | Eversmart Flatbed | Drum Scanners]

I find often at 6000dpi on my V850, I can get away with no sharpening, but if I do any, it is with High Pass and in the mid-tones mostly and only to the point I can just barely make it out.

Quote Originally Posted by alen View Post
    Thanks for the tip, that works well for me too in my scanning results! (Silverfast @6400dpi).
    Prior to that I had more modest sharpening, 0.5pix 200%.
    alen, I'd point that this 2.5pix / 50% setting may be good for that particular situation, but IMHO every case is different.

The sharpening radius (etc) also may be optimized for different images depending on:

> Scan dpi

> Lens performance

> image softness from aperture (spheric aberration from a too wide aperture or diffraction from a too stopped lens)

> if not a perfect focus

> Photoshop may also solve motion blur from shake if shutter speed is close of "vibration frequency"

> Film type

or sections of the same image:

> shadows vs mids vs highlights

> perfect plane of focus vs other regions in DOF but not having perfect focus

... and a final sharpening can be done with radius related to viewing distance

Seems like all the images from this thread have disappeared. Any way to reclaim them?

Peter

It's doubtful that those images can be reclaimed.
    You might find this post helpful ... https://www.largeformatphotography.i...atbed-scanners
    And you can use Google to find other posts on this forum by using this search string ... site:largeformatphotography.info + scanner comparison
    And there is this ... https://www.largeformatphotography.i...an-comparison/

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    Seems like all the images from this thread have disappeared. Any way to reclaim them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mounier View Post
    It's doubtful that those images can be reclaimed.
    You might find this post helpful ... https://www.largeformatphotography.i...atbed-scanners
    And you can use Google to find other posts on this forum by using this search string ... site:largeformatphotography.info + scanner comparison
    And there is this ... https://www.largeformatphotography.i...an-comparison/
    Sorry, it took a lot longer than expected but wanted to set up things properly with the latest security. Have started uploading the backup and hopefully things are back up fully shortly. If you see something broken, please point it out and I'll try to get it resolved.

I may continue this test soon.

Would be interesting. I redesigned my better scanning holder for finer adjustments and made laser cut masks. I need to get back to scanning once I reset focus on my V850. I also need to use my drum scanner more. I got to snof film to develop but too dusty in my temp home. Scared tonlet film dry in this environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Would be interesting. I redesigned my better scanning holder for finer adjustments and made laser cut masks. I need to get back to scanning once I reset focus on my V850. I also need to use my drum scanner more. I got to snof film to develop but too dusty in my temp home. Scared tonlet film dry in this environment.
    Steve, What do you mean reset focus in the V850?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Steve, What do you mean reset focus in the V850?
    I think be reset he means to adjust the height of the better scanning holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nbagno View Post
    I think be reset he means to adjust the height of the better scanning holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe he meant something else. After all, the V850 factory-supplied film holders have height adjustments built-in.

One sets focus by adjusting the height of the film holder. I updated mine with 3/16x100 tpi thread. And made sever laser cut aluminum film masks. Had cerakoted in black and will next cover them in black flocking.