Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linhof missed focusing

Re: Linhof missed focusing

Quote Originally Posted by nobrains View Post
    Thanks, I'll give it a try and been searching for a technican as well. Wish me luck!
    Indien / India
    EASTERN PHOTOGRAPHIC CO.
    203, Magnum House-II
    Karampura Commercial Complex
    New Delhi – 110015
    Fon +91 11 25920156
    Fax +91 11 25920157
    info@easternphotographic.com
    www.easternphotographic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Indien / India
    EASTERN PHOTOGRAPHIC CO.
    203, Magnum House-II
    Karampura Commercial Complex
    New Delhi – 110015
    Fon +91 11 25920156
    Fax +91 11 25920157
    info@easternphotographic.com
    www.easternphotographic.com
    Thanks Bob, I'll speak to them tomorrow, I know them and as far as I know they are resellers but not not sure about servicing.

Thanks Bob, I'll speak to them tomorrow, I know them and as far as I know they are resellers but not not sure about servicing.
    They are the authorized Linhof distributor for India. The authorized distributor in each country is contractually required to be responsible for warranty service in their country. If they don’t do service they will know who does.

An easy, fairly accurate test for ground-glass spacing and adjustment is as follows.

Set up a close-up shot of a ruler at an oblique angle to the camera. Use a longish lens shot wide-open for best results.
    Focus on a mark at the middle of the ruler.
    Make a negative and develop it. Check whether the mark you focused on is actually the sharpest mark on the ruler.
    If the sharpest mark is farther away than the one you focused on, the ground glass needs to be shimmed away from the back a bit.
    If the sharpest mark is closer than the one you focused on, the ground glass needs to be moved forward. This can be problematic if your camera doesn't have adjustment capability. Milling the back or similar might be necessary.

Shims can be made from any suitable thin gasket material or the like if needed. Your Linhof likely has adjustments for either direction.

Make small changes and test again. Repeat as needed till you have acceptable focus accuracy.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    An easy, fairly accurate test for ground-glass spacing and adjustment is as follows.

Set up a close-up shot of a ruler at an oblique angle to the camera. Use a longish lens shot wide-open for best results.
    Focus on a mark at the middle of the ruler.
    Make a negative and develop it. Check whether the mark you focused on is actually the sharpest mark on the ruler.
    If the sharpest mark is farther away than the one you focused on, the ground glass needs to be shimmed away from the back a bit.
    If the sharpest mark is closer than the one you focused on, the ground glass needs to be moved forward. This can be problematic if your camera doesn't have adjustment capability. Milling the back or similar might be necessary.

Shims can be made from any suitable thin gasket material or the like if needed. Your Linhof likely has adjustments for either direction.

Make small changes and test again. Repeat as needed till you have acceptable focus accuracy.

Best,

Doremus
    Thanks Doremus, honestly I didn't want to waste more of my film so was trying ways and finding possibilities.
    Though it does sound like a way to do it, instead of film, maybe I'll break open one of the film holders and put a paper instead of film and try focusing it on the ground glass and here. I remember this was the way it was done on a TLR, but not sure if it will work for large format.

Hi Bob, I did speak to Eastern photographic company. Like I said they are resellers, he did say the same. He did add to it saying, if you have major issues then we can send it to Europe for servicing, locally they had some technician but now no one.

Will find someone and update.

Thanks,
    Parvez

Thanks Doremus, honestly I didn't want to waste more of my film so was trying ways and finding possibilities.
    Though it does sound like a way to do it, instead of film, maybe I'll break open one of the film holders and put a paper instead of film and try focusing it on the ground glass and here. I remember this was the way it was done on a TLR, but not sure if it will work for large format.

Hi Bob, I did speak to Eastern photographic company. Like I said they are resellers, he did say the same. He did add to it saying, if you have major issues then we can send it to Europe for servicing, locally they had some technician but now no one.

Thanks,
    Parvez
    Too bad!

You say you will break out a film holder...now?

What have you been using? Exactly, by name, age and design?

Some film holders, some roll film devices, and some plate holders DO vary, in a critical way.

Thanks,
    Parvez
    Tin Can

I tried this on different film holders, 4x5 - Fidelity these are like new and works well on friends Sinar, tried Linhof film holder as well.
    For 120 film, tried it on Linhof Super Rollex 6x7 and Horseman 6x9.

All of these have similar results, so initially had thought it was me!

Thanks,
    Parvez

Did this camera come without film holders, perhaps somebody 'customized' it to their strange holder...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Did this camera come without film holders, perhaps somebody 'customized' it to their strange holder...
    Nope, this didn't come with any holders, but I'd doubt about the customised part as the earlier owner had got this from Linhof Germany when he went there in 60's and had Linhof 9x12 holders only and he might have hardly used this camera.

Thanks.