Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Probably a dumb question - how to see or adjust LF aperture from behind the camera?

Probably a dumb question - how to see or adjust LF aperture from behind the camera?

Recently I have committed to shooting more LF and find myself in situations where it is impractical or even risky to walk to the front of the camera to change the aperture. For example at the edge of a drop off or rocky stream. Since there are no click stops on the shutters are there any tricks for
    doing this? Maybe something as simple as a dental mirror?

Thanks

Re: Probably a dumb question - how to see or adjust LF aperture from behind the came

Quote Originally Posted by gdi View Post
    Recently I have committed to shooting more LF and find myself in situations where it is impractical or even risky to walk to the front of the camera to change the aperture. For example at the edge of a drop off or rocky stream. Since there are no click stops on the shutters are there any tricks for

Thanks
    It seems to me if it isn too risky to step in front of the camera, it might be just as risky to try using a dental or other inspection mirror. I would suggest a strong panorama mount that would allow you to rotate the camera to face you, set the aperture and return the camera to its original position.

Re: Probably a dumb question - how to see or adjust LF aperture from behind the came

Thanks.

While I don’t have a pano head (and I am not really familiar with them, since I shoot panorama cameras), I do have a strong three axis geared head, but I don’t think I could maintain my composition rotating it back and forth - it has an angle gauge but it is hard to read and not always visible. Maybe a good properly leveled pano head would be accurate enough to work. I need to do some research I suppose.

Thanks.

While I don’t have a pano head (and I am not really familiar with them, since I shoot panorama cameras), I do have a strong three axis geared head, but I don’t think I could maintain my composition rotating it back and forth - it has an angle gauge but it is hard to read and not always visible. Maybe a good properly leveled pano head would be accurate enough to work. I need to do some research I suppose.
    A grease pencil or a bit of tape and a sharpie should help you return the camera to position. Just move one axis if possible.

Great idea! Thanks for the great idea!

I’ll give it a try on my next outing.

I've used a piece of tape to mark the head position before swinging the camera around, but I've used the same lenses for so long that I can generally guesstimate the aperture by feel. Probably not dead on, but close enough for the B&W film that I shoot.

Thanks
    Reminds me of the joke of the guy who went to his doctor. "Every time I raise my right arm like this, my shoulder hurts like hell. What should I do?"
    "Stop raising your arm like that," responded the doctor.

Thanks.

How about an erasable grease pencil? You mark it before you turn it to face you then turn it back and line up the marks.

Invite your brother-in-law along -- ostensibly to learn about LF photography -- and hope the jerk falls off the cliff.

Did I say "push"?

Better copy this in case you...

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Invite your brother-in-law along -- ostensibly to learn about LF photography -- and hope the jerk falls off the cliff.

Did I say "push"?
    Tin Can