Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dupont Defender films

Dupont Defender films

Anyone have the Dupont Defender film information book? Looking for info on High Speed Pan Type 428 -circa '52 and Ivora - sensitized white film - circa '53. I do believe "Ivora" was a special order type film from what little I have discovered. Man , to have lived in the fifties with access to all the great films and papers -- bliss !!!

Re: Dupont Defender films

I think I've got some info kicking around someplace. What do you want to know?
    My darkroom used to be a meat freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_joe6 View Post
    I think I've got some info kicking around someplace. What do you want to know?
    I am looking for stated film speed and granularity. These films had really good chunks of silver if I'm not mistaken, but the base is not friendly to the ages(developed or undeveloped). Also what was Duponts recommendation for developer ?

Quote Originally Posted by jayabbas View Post
    Anyone have the Dupont Defender film information book? Looking for info on High Speed Pan Type 428 -circa '52 and Ivora - sensitized white film - circa '53. I do believe "Ivora" was a special order type film from what little I have discovered. Man , to have lived in the fifties with access to all the great films and papers -- bliss !!!
    Just as the future looked better in the past than it turned out (at least to me - where's my weekend trip to the mars colony, dammit?) the past looks better through the rose colored glasses of the future. While the selection may not be as large today, we have some of the best materials ever available. There was nothing like Ilford MGFB and MGWT, TMY-2, Acros...and forget about color. Yeah, they had (very slow) Kodachrome but no Ektar, no Portra, certainly no Provia 400 etc.

I have the 1951 booklet but I've never heard of Ivora film.
    I'll post the pages later if nobody gets to it before me

developer 16D was given for all films
    you can read about it maybe in the "similar threads" listed below

Hi sun of sand, I actually have 5 or 6 tins of 16d developer but have no typical development times for the period. If you can post the 1951 book, that would help solve part of my mystery, er puzzle. Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090263.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	93614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090258.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	93615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090260.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	93616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	93617

Sorry about the quality. I just snapped em.

I'm sure I have a couple 16D cans, as well. I use many canned developers from this era and they work fine.
    I have a litho developer green can 21-D that I can't find anywhere. I believe there is another 21-D I've found on the net but not a lith developer

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    ...While the selection may not be as large today, we have some of the best materials ever available. There was nothing like Ilford MGFB and MGWT, TMY-2, Acros...
    An excellent point. I remember back in the seventies, when I was just a kid getting started, I had all kinds of "thick emulsion" films to choose from. True, some of them were easier to work with than today's film because they had such incredible latitude. But that latitude came with a price. Grain was ferocious. Even a 4x5 negative enlarged to 8x10 could show the grain on some of those films. A well-exposed and properly developed negative gave the richest tones...especially if printed on Kodabromide or Agfa Brovira. But just a tad too much development to move up to +1, or God forbid, +2 and the grain was there. Even Tri-X started out that way. In its early generations, grain could be pretty difficult to tame. Which is a huge reason large format was the only acceptable medium for studio product photography.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Thumbs up Re: Dupont Defender films

Thank you very much sun of sand for the pictures and your time posting them up. This will help greatly .

Dupont made some truly outstanding papers back in the day.