Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 45% Humidity and Ilford FB Still Won't Dry Flat

Re: 45% Humidity and Ilford FB Still Won't Dry Flat

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    My FB prints are sometimes curled/wavy all over the place after air drying so I flatten them on low heat in the dry mount press which leaves them basically flat with a slight curl. Makes them easier to store for later dry mounting. I’d never expect a FB paper to dry flat/uniform enough for presentation without it least having it tipped in or something but anyway.

I do it all the old fashioned way. After the wash I simply squeegee and then let them air dry.

Ilford suggests using Ilfotol (like Photo Flo) to aid even drying but I’ve never done it. Perhaps OP can try that.
    worth a shot. Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    I can only tell you what worked for me: an electric press. Since I got this all my prints are flat. Here’s what I use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23441435317...mis&media=COPY

(Other models and sizes exist). Works great— I basically stick the print in between two white mat boards and press it hot. Here’s a good video on how to do this:

https://youtu.be/oG30kHW6cBU

I have a Seal 210 Dry mounting press. ;-)

Do fiber prints ever dry flat? If my fiber prints did not curl I'd think something was wrong. I don't consider a fiber print by itself complete until dry mounted.

In my experience, RC is the only material that is presentable without dry mounting, even my RC prints have a slight curl.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

When I received 100's of 8X10 and 11/14 WET prints to sort for my second Print Exchange from all over our world

Some mounted, most not

They were very flat

Drying on a screen is only the first step
    Tin Can

Not perfect...but you can also run two drying lines one above the other, allowing prints to be clipped to both top and bottom edges - effectively holding them under tension from both sides. Another advantage here is that there is no contact of the prints' surfaces while they are drying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    When I received 100's of 8X10 and 11/14 WET prints to sort for my second Print Exchange from all over our world

Some mounted, most not

They were very flat

Drying on a screen is only the first step
    I'm going to dig out an old print made on the old gallery paper and wash it and dry it...... stay tuned

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Not perfect...but you can also run two drying lines one above the other, allowing prints to be clipped to both top and bottom edges - effectively holding them under tension from both sides. Another advantage here is that there is no contact of the prints' surfaces while they are drying.
    Are you a betting man? ;-). I'm betting that isn't going to work. These prints lift a screen when I put one above. They will buckle a towel if I leave one on top.
    ....and what if I want to print borderless? No, I'm not giving away any of the expensive paper. I bought it all and I want to use it all.
    thx!

I've been following this and the previous thread, and I admit that I'm stumped. Especially since I did have this issue a while back, and now I don't.
    All I can offer now is a) check the alignment of your press (if that's possible) and b)leave your prints in the press longer.
    Don't give up (and don't print borderless)!

Your press is heated, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ASA1000 View Post
    I have a Seal 210 Dry mounting press. ;-)
    So I don’t understand… you’re looking for self-flatness after drying… but that’s a unicorn with FB paper. I appreciate you may be able to mitigate it some with chemicals, perfect squeegeeing, controlled RH to 0.1%, etc , but who cares if you can flatten it with the press? (I’m joking with my rhetoric, but you get the point I hope).