Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backpack for 11x14 Camera

Re: Backpack for 11x14 Camera

Thanks, Greg. Look forward to seeing your remanufactured insert.

Also, thanks for the link to your ground glass protector.

I'm pleased to report that my Svedovsky 11x14 fits nicely with room for more in the "Granite Gear Traditional 3.5 Portage Pack 496184-05" that I ordered after reading this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cp_photo View Post
    I'm pleased to report that my Svedovsky 11x14 fits nicely with room for more in the "Granite Gear Traditional 3.5 Portage Pack 496184-05" that I ordered after reading this thread.

I ordered one too. It should be arriving tomorrow or Wednesday from REI.

FYI those portage packs are not waterproof - However a good large trash bag is, so pack a couple of those with your gear. The food pack is a little deeper but also slightly smaller depending on your needs. I'm curious to see where you will strap your tripod.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I would not want to carry any big LF camera anymore, but hat's off to those that do. I carried my 5x7 and several light lenses (including an aluminum Karl Struss) last weekend a hundred yards or so off trail in rough desert. What a hassle, but I got a few shots developed already. I guess it was the tripod that was the biggest pain. If I had just the camera and lenses and 3 film holders, it would fit in a daypack.

What about a hunting pack frame with some padding system ... tons of options with that route.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    FYI those portage packs are not waterproof - However a good large trash bag is, so pack a couple of those with your gear. The food pack is a little deeper but also slightly smaller depending on your needs. I'm curious to see where you will strap your tripod.
    Tripods for 11x14 usually do not strap on anywhere. My Ries certainly will not! Easier to hand carry them, especially off-trail, up steps, etc. where one can plant the legs the next step up, and then step oneself up (same for downhill). Saves the knees from having to take the weight of the pod when stepping up or down. And good for pushing aside berry vines and branches and such. My Ries is a climbing assist device.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    That is what I use for my 11x14. It is Granite Gear's larger one -- eats my Chamonix and room for several holders, and everything else. Don't know why I forgot -- haven't used the 11x14 in too many months, probably.

Major problem with it if one is tall (long back)...it will still work, but not a great fit. At 6'3" I have to mess with the straps to get it to carry well. A little funky. The suspension of good, not great. As a portage pack, it seems to be designed for hauling bulky equipment relatively short distances comfortably.

MEI packs -- yes...old website. I do not know if contacting the company for more info (or location of local dealers) will help. I ran into the pack while at my local camping/backpacking store. Returned with my 8x10 and checked it all out in person..and bought it. It is more of a travel pack concept (very comfortable on my back) which gives it some features that have come in handy for 8x10 (hide-away side pockets, detachable daypack that fits five 8x10 holders, suspension all hides away for plane use or storage.). I've been using it extensively since about 1996.

Good luck in your search.
    MEI is almost an internet ghost... no social media presence , very few first hand reviews anywhere online. Barely any real world use pictures. Odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I would not want to carry any big LF camera anymore, but hat's off to those that do. I carried my 5x7 and several light lenses (including an aluminum Karl Struss) last weekend a hundred yards or so off trail in rough desert. What a hassle...
    Hear, hear!

A lot of energy in this thread, which I'm glad to see. Kudos to those who can "tote that barge and lift that bale"!

pax,
    W

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    MEI is almost an internet ghost... no social media presence , very few first hand reviews anywhere online. Barely any real world use pictures. Odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Didn't use to be odd. I have never dealt with the company directly...bought their pack from a reliable brick&mortar in about 1996. Know another photographer that uses one for his various ULF cameras he has built...but he might have gone to the portage pack for some.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China