Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lens storage and carry - stupid but practical question

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Lens storage and carry - stupid but practical question

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    Venice , A gorgeous city, Did you know that now the City has banned the rollabout luggage? They felt it was ruining the cobbles an was too noisy.
    I wonder if its the same now in Rome? Back around 2000 when I was in Rome on a bicycle tour riding on the cobbles in the historical section was definitely not bicycle friendly - my tires then were 700x25. I'm not planning on taking a bicycle to photograph the fountains but was considering bringing my 2-wheel gear dolly. But while typing this the possibility of renting a bike with wide tires and a cart. That would greatly simplify transporting the camera to the fountains.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    Venice , A gorgeous city, Did you know that now the City has banned the rollabout luggage? They felt it was ruining the cobbles an was too noisy.
    I think this falls in the category of urban myth. The last time I checked, the rule applied only to vendor's carts with hard plastic wheels. Soft rubber and pneumatic wheels were okay and tourists' suitcases were excluded. Still, the noise from rolling suitcases is really annoying, so I could really understand a ban of sorts.

As for me, I shoulder my rolling bag there anyway; just too many stairs, etc. plus I don't want to have to re-assemble my camera again

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I wonder if its the same now in Rome? Back around 2000 when I was in Rome on a bicycle tour riding on the cobbles in the historical section was definitely not bicycle friendly - my tires then were 700x25. I'm not planning on taking a bicycle to photograph the fountains but was considering bringing my 2-wheel gear dolly. But while typing this the possibility of renting a bike with wide tires and a cart. That would greatly simplify transporting the camera to the fountains.

Thomas
    Thomas,

I spent years photographing my home city of Vienna on my bike. Every chance I got, I'd shoulder the camera bag, strap the tripod on the bike's luggage rack and head out. I always carried the pack on my shoulders because the cobbled streets there would have shaken the camera gear into bits if I'd strapped it to the bike in any way.

Not only do the cobbled streets rattle everything, they can be treacherous: I broke my leg severely on one of my bicycle photo tours. The rear wheel slipped out to the side. Normally, one just puts down a foot to stabilize, but my foot got caught between cobblestones, which sent me and my camera pack crashing. I managed to prevent any damage to the camera gear, but my fibula needed a plate and seven screws...

After that healed up, I still photographed from my bike there till I moved away in 2018. Gotta get back in the saddle...

When I was in Rome photographing, I just carried my lightweight 4x5 kit in my rolling backpack, like I do in Venice, with tripod in hand. That's probably a better choice than the gear dolly; too much of an opportunity for the thieves...

And, don't sit on the fountains! It's against the law now

Best,

Doremus

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Thanks for the input Doremus. I'm planning my trip for October depending on the pandemic of course. I don't want to check the camera, lens and tripod. I think I can hand-carry those onboard with the camera w/1 lens attached in a soft brief-case or small backpack and the tripod (Series 3 Gitzo CF) in a padded case. In lieu of the dolly which is a collapsible 2-wheeler that I bought at Calumet years ago and used it on several occasions to transport the MII in the LowePro 600AWII along with the tripod in the city, I was looking at a Pelican wheeled case. The smallest that I found was the 1560 in which the camera (14.5" x 15" x 6.2") will fit. I tried placing it in the Pelican 1550 but it is about 1/2" shy of fitting - one of the back standard locking knobs doesn't clear. The 1560 exceeds the carry-on limit although some say that they were allowed when they flew. But the case itself weighs 18 lbs and with the camera and all will undoubtedly exceed the carry-on weight limits. So a dolly (mine or locally rented) or locally rented 3-wheeler bicycle is under consideration. If I can't carry-on the LowePro with the camera et al, maybe I could pack it with the travel essentials and check it. Anyway I have a few months to get this planned out.

Thomas

Dual Post
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I have packed my 4x5 kit in a roll-around Pelican 1520 hard case and put it into the airline overhead . . .but might not comply with current limits any more. So it traveled well protected. The soft side camera bag I use in the field, a LowePro "Magnum-35", went into my checked suitcase EMPTY of camera gear, but packed with t-shirts and socks. This seemed to work OK.

With the larger case: Ask the airline about "Gate-Checking" as you board the plabe like they do with strollers and baby carriers etc. The Pelican will roll-around at the terminal and is stout enough for the hold. Commercial video crews do put their stuff into the baggage hold. Gate checking might be a compromise solution for you.
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 26-Feb-2021 at 15:42.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Small town, South Carolina, US

Custom cardboard boxes are a great idea. You may want to change from corrugated cardboard to corrugated plastic board to cut down on possible dust from abrading the cardboard.

Shutter closed, always on T, 2 caps, padded in a hard case, on boards. Regular shutter exercise when I remember and I check for (relative) shutter accuracy with an app/light sensor.

And because mold and fungus sucks (lenses are expensive and mine are generally pretty old) I also drilled small holes in the tops of old metal film cans, half-filled them with desiccant and keep them in every equipment bag or case I own. The desiccant is orange and turns green; in an oven, they turn back to orange.