Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shutter how do you do the test

Shutter how do you do the test

I have test shutters with clocks, lathe and motor just by taking a photo this is not hard to do. Most motor on no load run at 1800 or 3600 rpm does good job for high speeds. I was telling a member early this month on how to do this check. for slow speed check I use a lathe on slow speed it to has a known rpm. Clock is same way. Use a bright light a flash will NOT WORK

Dave

[This is off the
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/c.../message/30439

If you can find a 78 rpm record player and record, your problem would be solved by seeing how many degrees a white line from the center point of the record traveled while the shutter was open.]

Re: Shutter how do you do the test

For those who haven't heard - some clever fella in Germany (I think) came up with a very handy and effective iPhone app called "Shutter-Speed" available in the App Store. There's also a little accessory CDS cell that plugs into the phone's headphone jack, which makes a pretty good tool even better. The tester app works fine without the accessory plug, but it helps to have it for the faster speeds on newer shutters.

I can't seem to find the link at the moment, but you should be able to search the App Store, which has (or at least had) a link to the Ebay listing for accessory.

I have this app and it's easy, accurate as far as I ran tell and probably as good as the rare as hen's teeth Calumet Shutter Tester for 1/4 the price. Check it out. I don't know how many people have lathes and 78rpm record players laying around these days - this is a little more 21st Century solution anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    For those who haven't heard - some clever fella in Germany (I think) came up with a very handy and effective iPhone app called "Shutter-Speed" available in the App Store. There's also a little accessory CDS cell that plugs into the phone's headphone jack, which makes a pretty good tool even better. The tester app works fine without the accessory plug, but it helps to have it for the faster speeds on newer shutters.

I can't seem to find the link at the moment, but you should be able to search the App Store, which has (or at least had) a link to the Ebay listing for accessory.

I have this app and it's easy, accurate as far as I ran tell and probably as good as the rare as hen's teeth Calumet Shutter Tester for 1/4 the price. Check it out. I don't know how many people have lathes and 78rpm record players laying around these days - this is a little more 21st Century solution anyway.
    Its called "Shutter Speed" by Lukas Fritz

Thanks Arne - I'm trying to find the link now, not having much luck finding it with our Byzantine LFF search engine!

The other way for lower speed is to use a digital cam record and fast speed and
    take movie of the shutter opening and closing. Not as good as the photo speed
    check but cheeper

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I have test shutters with clocks, lathe and motor just by taking a photo this is not hard to do. Most motor on no load run at 1800 or 3600 rpm does good job for high speeds. I was telling a member early this month on how to do this check. for slow speed check I use a lathe on slow speed it to has a known rpm. Clock is same way. Use a bright light a flash will NOT WORK

Dave

[This is off the
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/c.../message/30439

If you can find a 78 rpm record player and record, your problem would be solved by seeing how many degrees a white line from the center point of the record traveled while the shutter was open.]

Well, I won't knock smithdoor's proposal now, because it appears that Lukas Fritz' app made a brief appearance last year and is now nowhere to be found. At least that I can find, anyway...

It used to be available in the App Store (there was no Android version at the time) but now it seems to be gone. So is the little CDS accessory plug on Ebay. Too bad, it was a good idea, so I guess I was one of the lucky few to get my hands on one....

There are a number of shutter tester from a guy in Romania - never tried one, but no reason to think they wouldn't work. Prices for these range from $15 to $170 for varying levels of sophistication, from what I can see.

Hm. I tried that in several different iterates, didn't come up with anything. I'm glad you found it! And I had just sent a message to Lukas asking if he was still at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Hm. I tried that in several different iterates, didn't come up with anything. I'm glad you found it! And I had just sent a message to Lukas asking if he was still at it.
    Cletus, you just need to hone your search skills a bit. You probably went to the App Store and did a search, wrong. What you needed to to is go to APUG and do a search for Lukas Fritz which gives zero results but does bring up an a little banner ad at the top of the web page. See you just need to be a little more logical when you search.

Roger

Thanks Roger - I agree, I wasn't nearly diligent enough in my little search. Nonetheless, I did get a message off to Lukas himself and here's his response, including a link to to his website with the details....

"....I'm glad that you are happy with the App and the Plug !
    I still sell both of them. Some time ago I launched a new website, which contains both the Link to the AppStore and to the eBay-auction. There you can find all information about where to buy those two things: http://echolot-online.de/PhotoPlug.html
    Of course it would be great if you could post this in the forum
    Unfortunately it is quite difficult for people to find the app or the plug, as you experienced yourself... Thats because on eBay.com the plug is only shown, when you search "worldwide".

Best regards,
    Lukas...."