Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lens hoods advice

Lens hoods advice

Hi,

just recived my first two lens setup so i was wondering about the possibility to buy 2 hoods.

Any advice would be great, thank you!

PS- sironar s 135 & nikkor 90 sw

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Lens hoods advice

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Sirius, thank you for the reply.

I was looking also at the lee filters/hood system but it seems to be a bit pricey, considering its used price on ebay and the fact that i must also buy an adaptor ring..

Quote Originally Posted by MWitmann View Post
    I was looking also at the lee filters/hood system but it seems to be a bit pricey, considering its used price on ebay and the fact that i must also buy an adaptor ring..
    Yes, but once you have the Lee system, it will work on all your lenses; all you would need is one adapter per different lens filter screw size.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    Yes, but once you have the Lee system, it will work on all your lenses; all you would need is one adapter per different lens filter screw size.
    Yes, i know that, but regarding the lee system i've considered that i will need an adaptor per lens, and one is (used) between 30-80$.

So in my case i wil have to pay someting like 200/250$ for the hood with two ring adaptors, instead of 40$ for two hoods from photofilters.com.

I'm just trying to find out if the price difference of the Lee system worths...

I intend to use only an ND and a polarizer.

The big difference between the Lee hoods and the others, is that, with the Lee hoods, you get a compendium hood that can be adjusted to suit the focal length of the lens.

You do realise that anything less than a hood that is, at least, as long as the focal length might not cut out enough light to make enough difference to the contrast of the image?
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Watch for Lindahl hoods, but not as versatile as Lee.
    I've been using a Mamiya RB/RZ bellows hood G3 hood, it's 77mm and with step up rings you can use it on many lenses. Step up rings are much less $ than brand specific adapters.

Lee system is perfect. Modular and very user friendly. Unfortunately, lately there are issues with avaiability.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    <snip>
    You do realise that anything less than a hood that is, at least, as long as the focal length might not cut out enough light to make enough difference to the contrast of the image?
    Oh, oh - slow down, please. Where do you have that from? Surely not from an experience. Do you realise it is not correct, neither for the length nor for the difference made?

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    Oh, oh - slow down, please. Where do you have that from? Surely not from an experience. Do you realise it is not correct, neither for the length nor for the difference made?
    Yes, from personal experience. Even with a Lee Hood, which is only really long enough for a 90mm lens, the difference in contrast is noticeable even on a 210mm lens.

I also attended a masterclass, where the the photographer giving it showed a Sinar setup for studio work, with a second set of bellows used as a "full length" hood for a 210mm lens and the difference in contrast was even visible on the GG screen.

It's all matter of eliminating any extraneous light from outside of the image area. If you've never tried using a proper deep hood, like me, you may not realise just how much difference it can make.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG