Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Still Life 2020

Re: Still Life 2020

Quote Originally Posted by hsandler View Post
    Nature morte. Thornton Pickard Special Ruby Reflex 3x4. Cooke anastigmat 5 3/4" f4.5 at f16. Ilford FP4+

Nature morte by Howard Sandler, on Flickr
    Love it!

Lucchese by Scott, on Flickr

My old Luccheses, a wedding present from my wife almost 23 years ago. Love 'em.

First 4x5 I've shot in almost a year. Asanuma 4x5, ICA Niklas 7" f/5 Petzval, FP4+ in HC-110 dil H.

Korona View 4x5, Zeiss Tessar @ 4.5, Packard shutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend generously gave me his Industar-37 300mm f4.5 lens this week (he decided he wasn't going to build a camera for it) and this is a first try with it. My understanding is that there wasn't a lot of quality control in the manufacture of these Russian Tessars, but it seems I got a decent copy: its sharp where I focused it and the OOF areas render nicely. (This was done at f5.6 FYI, 7 seconds exposure)
    Shot on 8x10 Ilford HP5+ processed in Xtol stock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	industar.01sm.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	201635

See it larger here: Industar37

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    A friend generously gave me his Industar-37 300mm f4.5 lens this week (he decided he wasn't going to build a camera for it) and this is a first try with it. My understanding is that there wasn't a lot of quality control in the manufacture of these Russian Tessars, but it seems I got a decent copy: its sharp where I focused it and the OOF areas render nicely. (This was done at f5.6 FYI, 7 seconds exposure)
    Nice!

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post

Just masterful as always Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    Just masterful as always Paul!
    +1 on that and...

Hmmm, maybe I’ll give second thought to picking one of those lenses up. They seem to be ubiquitous on ‘that’ site.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    +1 on that and...

Hmmm, maybe I’ll give second thought to picking one of those lenses up. They seem to be ubiquitous on ‘that’ site.
    Thanks, glad you like it.

As regards the Industar37; my understanding is that there is quite a bit of variability among them in terms of quality. I don’t know how true this is, but I’ve had one person tell me they acquired one and found it was rubbish. I had no intentions of getting one of these but a friend said to me recently that he’d decided he wasn’t going to proceed with his plans to build a camera for it and offered it to me, so I accepted his offer.

I’ve done no side by side comparisons with any of my other lenses - I suppose I could compare it with my 10” Kodak Anastigmat and my 12” Kodak Ektar f4.5 and see how they relate. I gather that the Industar is a Tessar in design. It is a coated lens (appears to have coatings on the front and rear of the front group), but it still exhibits some flare without shading the lens under flare-inducing conditions,so you’ll need to pay attention to that. I can’t tell you exactly what it’s image circle is, but it more than covers 8x10 at infinity. My Industar has about fifteen aperture blades which makes for very clean bokeh I expect (haven’t used it to test that yet), so in all, I am pleasantly surprised by its performance. You could do far worse in seeking out a “normal” lens for 8x10. Be aware, of course, this is a barrel lens (no shutter) so for some folks this presents a usability problem.

I've been trying light painting with Arista ortho litho film. These are two test prints from last night. I'd really like to enlarge both, I think I can do better with both, especially the glass net float. It's fun film to work with!

Hi all. Long time since i posted anything

So this is a scan of a salt print made from wet plate collodion glass negative. Thank you !

Name:	JakubJanKaska-3-Leż.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	201811