Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deardorff V8x10. Repair or not?

Question Deardorff V8x10. Repair or not?

Interesting quandary: I just bought a Deardorff V8x10. The camera works fine but I noticed a slight separation of one of the four wooden sections. You can see it in the attached photo. It's not loose and almost seems like it came out of the factory like this. Not sure how it could have happened.

Would it be a complex repair? If I wanted to fix it, how would I go about doing it?

Thanks!

John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deardorff4.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	181032

Re: Deardorff V8x10. Repair or not?

If you can either send it back I would, nor if not, you might want to use something like Superglue to hold it together if the separation is not too wide.

If you choose to keep it, I recommend contacting Richard Ritter about a repair. He will do it right, and that will help the camera keep its value.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    If you can either send it back I would, nor if not, you might want to use something like Superglue to hold it together if the separation is not too wide.
    It's not coming apart at all. It is rock solid in that position

Quote Originally Posted by vssoutlet View Post
    Interesting quandary: I just bought a Deardorff V8x10. The camera works fine but I noticed a slight separation of one of the four wooden sections. You can see it in the attached photo. It's not loose and almost seems like it came out of the factory like this. Not sure how it could have happened.

Would it be a complex repair? If I wanted to fix it, how would I go about doing it?

Thanks!

John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deardorff4.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	181032
    If the camera functions properly I would use it. Your's has the big metal plate that will hold everything together. I have a pre war V8, doesn't have the big cast aluminum plate. These are definitely worthy of having a professional repair if needed. Such extraordinary workmanship and materials.

I don't have mine handy but I think mine has a very minor separation as well, I think it's dry/humid cycles and mine being nearly 80 years old. I have done nothing but clean and use a bit of wax on the wood. It's getting hard to find one with it's original finish.

Leave it along. It is a very common problem with this type of base construction. You live in area of the country that see a lot of weather change from high humidity to low. This effects the wood.

Over the spam of a year the width of the separation will change. From not being there to being wide. As long as the camera keeps working don't worry about it.

Some will tell you to pack it with epoxy or some type of glue don't. You will only make the problem worst over time. And if you use the right type of glue you will make the part unrepairable.

It cost a lot to repair and takes up to a year to do the repair right.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Quote Originally Posted by vssoutlet View Post
    It's not coming apart at all. It is rock solid in that position
    Use it and forget repair. I have a 5x7 Deardorff with One of the joints separated. I have owned it for about 40 years and it has never caused a problem. The separation is the same as it was when I bought the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRitter View Post
    Leave it along. It is a very common problem with this type of base construction. You live in area of the country that see a lot of weather change from high humidity to low. This effects the wood.

Over the spam of a year the width of the separation will change. From not being there to being wide. As long as the camera keeps working don't worry about it.

Some will tell you to pack it with epoxy or some type of glue don't. You will only make the problem worst over time. And if you use the right type of glue you will make the part unrepairable.

It cost a lot to repair and takes up to a year to do the repair right.
    whew... and I was about to suggest gorilla glue too

Eric Woodbury

I would have been in the 'fill-it-with-epoxy' camp, but that sounds wrong from RR. Since weather changes are its enemy, it should be sealed in some fashion. I'd put a dab of GOOP in there. (Plumpers, Shoe, or whatever flavor you have, they are all the same.) It's a good sealer, sticks to everything, and it's elastic so it won't put any undue stress or strain on the part. Also, if it needs further repair, it removes easily as it does not migrate. Better than RTV since no acid as it dries. YMMV.