Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent Video Camera for Website Posting?

Decent Video Camera for Website Posting?

In thinking about revitalizing my ossified website - I also think about posting some video, and with this in mind I'd sure appreciate a bit of advice on what would be suitable for this...camera-wise.

I really don't want anything fancy, but having said this - I'd want something with decent sound quality, plus sufficient low-light capacity to allow filming printing procedures with safelight illumination. Decent closeup capability would also be a plus, at least enough to allow, for example, filling the frame with a 5x7 inch LF focussing screen. Aside from this...no need for super hi resolution, or super zoom range. Just something to look and sound decent on my website.

Would be great if I could spend no more than two hundred dollars - and getting something used is certainly more than OK with me.

(A bit of useful info might be that I currently use a MacBook Pro, and plan to stick with this).

If I had to sacrifice any of the above desired features, at least from a cost-saving angle, I suppose that the low-light capacity would need to be omitted - and I guess I could live with this and do a bit of creative darkroom staging with regular room lighting. At any rate, I would so appreciate some sage advice....thank you!

EDIT: Might as well ask this also...seeing as I need to upgrade my photo editing software (again, mostly for website use): I'm looking at the Lightroom 6 version that is still on DVD, and am wondering if this might also support the above mentioned video needs. Thanks Again!

Re: Decent Video Camera for Website Posting?

Lightroom doesn't do video. At least, my older LR 5 doesn't. Not sure if that's a feature they intended to implement. For editing video, I personally prefer Sony Vegas, but any of the built-in softwares on your computer should do well enough.

Do you have a digital camera? I ask, because many do, but forget they do (excellent) video, especially more recent cameras.

If not - for that kind of cash, I personally would recommend an older Panasonic camcorder, specifically the models that shoot 1080p with 3 CMOS sensors. I actually use these older models for pro video work as stationary secondary cameras and for corporate video. They were quite good for the time and hold up well as long as you don't expect the latest-and-greatest features and extreme resolution or low-light performance. Most importantly, they can be found fairly cheaply as camcorders do not keep value well.

Another option would be an older GoPro, but they have pretty bad low-light performance and the fisheye effect may be inappropriate for your needs (you can set it to crop in to make a more "normal" view, but you lose resolution/performance, which is already middling to begin with).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

OK...here's a follow up question - I have an iPhone 8, which has very decent video quality. Problem is, at least when I'm filming on locations outside - is mediocre sound quality. Thinking that the microphone is facing forward while I'm filming from behind the iPhone - might there be some kind of fix...maybe as simple as a piece of a paper or styrofoam cup cut and mounted to the iPhone to allow for my voice to reflect from behind and into the mic? Or maybe there's a mic accessory that I don't know about?

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    OK...here's a follow up question - I have an iPhone 8, which has very decent video quality. Problem is, at least when I'm filming on locations outside - is mediocre sound quality. Thinking that the microphone is facing forward while I'm filming from behind the iPhone - might there be some kind of fix...maybe as simple as a piece of a paper or styrofoam cup cut and mounted to the iPhone to allow for my voice to reflect from behind and into the mic? Or maybe there's a mic accessory that I don't know about?
    Many, https://www.podcastinsights.com/best-iphone-microphone/

Bryan and Bob...thanks to you both! I think I'll try the iPhone route first - seeing as I already have one.

iPhone is good for video, from what I understand. I can't help you with mic accessories as I don't use i-devices but if you ever decide to get something nicer or need exterior sound, I would recommend an old Zoom H4 (really cheap these days) and use the built-in mics or buy an inexpensive lavalier/lapel mic (these guys make good cheap mics). Then you can have the mics in a different location than the filming setup - good for narration. It's fairly easy to line up video and audio after the fact.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I would recommend an old Zoom H4
    So would I.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    So would I.
    Me, too.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I use a Sony PGM M10 which has amazing battery life. Out of production the replacement is even better.

I have a couple older Rode mics, one stereo and one shotgun with windsock muffs.

I even have a tiny boom with extension cable.

My iPhone SE is the best video camera I ever bought. I put a big handle on it and use a BT trigger.

Room ambience is the difficult and noisy part.

I used to have access to a sound proof audio room. It was a large closet, with lots of foam triangles. https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/soundproof-room/

My shed is now my best recording room. Very few reflecting areas.
    Tin Can

After market microphone options yes... Adobe Premier Elements yes. You can adjust sound level and fade in/out in each little clip in Elements. I don't think it will automatically sync sound from a separate recorder though. If shopping for a video camera, find something with the mic plug. If it's for talking, a clip on mic with a long cord is great and you don't need to deal with batteries. Room noise is less because it needs less amplification to hear you well. Low light is not that important; my $100 cell phone will record in red led safelight conditions with almost no noise; it's bright to the camera but not as bright to our eyes.