Thread: Replacement Batteries for a Horseman Exposure Meter 6x9 with an Adapter for 4x5

Replacement Batteries for a Horseman Exposure Meter 6x9 with an Adapter for 4x5

I got a Horseman exposure meter, see picture below. What batteries should I buy to replace those two old and unavailable batteries? Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC63E1C1-8740-4D45-B2C4-997CC554C7C6.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	220388

Re: Replacement Batteries for a Horseman Exposure Meter 6x9 with an Adapter for 4x5

See http://www.galerie-photo.com/horsema...ure-meter.html, which has a discussion of batteries.

Re: Replacement Batteries for a Horseman Exposure Meter 6x9 with an Adapter for 4x5

Many thanks for your link and information.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    See http://www.galerie-photo.com/horsema...ure-meter.html, which has a discussion of batteries.

I usually only use mine for close up when I don't want to be bothered calculating or measuring magnification. Also seems every time I use it I'm using a different assortment of batteries. I try to use Zinc/Air cells for both ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Dan, I read your Galerie article and wondered what was your overall practical evaluation of using a late model Horseman 4x5 meter for general fine art photo work out of doors as compared with a Pentax Spotmeter, general Zone System placement, and exposure record cards that include filter factor and quick bellows compensation calculations.

Thanks

Horseman advantages: less to carry, less thinking than spot metering, or, indeed, hand held metering, requires.

Horseman disadvantages: averaging metering, on 4x5 doesn't meter the entire scene, will underexpose somewhat when used with a w/a lens without a center filter, bulkier than your alternative, one more damned thing to insert/remove before taking the shot.

I shoot 2x3, which is what Horseman meters see, view them as the right choice for that format, not quite so good for 4x5. The person who posts here as Corran uses one with 4x5, ask him for his experience/view of them.

Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances.

Since the 1990s, I have been using the Horseman Exposure Meter 6x9 with the 4x5 Adapter, until I acquired the 4x5 model. With the 6x9 model, I was always interpolating the reading based on experience. With the 4x5 model, I still interpolate the reading but far less of the time. Using these meters, it helps to have the mindset of using some of the first SLRs that had behind the lens meters that pretty much read the whole frame. Most of the time I was using the Horseman meters for photomacrography and photomicrography. Personally I found them a lot easier to use than the Sinar Six spot meter for these two applications. Outdoors I much preferred the Sinar Six, but it just took up so much space to carry in the field, that I eventually opted to just carry and use a Pentax spot meter. Every now and then the 4x5 model shows up for a bargain price. If you should come across one, go for it. Once I acquired my 4x5 model (I think from someone in this FORUM), I shelved my two 6x9s (minus their batteries) with the 4x5 adapter.

Thank you, Dan and Greg:

I took a course or two from Paul Samuelson and he also had the "Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances" philosophy, although it seemed to take him several pages of equations to reach that same conclusion <GG>

Best regards

Joe