Page 143 of 655 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243643 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 6544

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Randy, that was my cautionary tale for the Ziploc method. I totally messed it up, largely due to my own errors. I've been getting consistent results using smooth bottom trays with gentle agitation.

From this weekend.

Park Slope Leaves shot Wide Open w/ 8x10 Camera and X-Ray Film by Shawn Hoke, on Flickr

Shawn, can you describe your method or link to it if you have already? Beautiful image above.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Not sure how you could mess up using the ziplock method. Jim if one cannot source flat bottomed trays and only has ones with grooves, the ziplock method is ideal. Got nothing to do with reinventing the wheel. Its about problem solving. I outlined the procedure in the original x-ray thread.

Lee Smathers

Been busy doing portraits, but spying in on the thread and love all the new work!

I've done about 50 student portraits in the past 6 weeks. I've also upgraded to the tank and hangars method. Got an outstanding deal on three tanks and 8 hangars. Had an interview this Monday about my work and they asked for some samples of my work. I haven't been doing any contact prints lately, just shooting. They needed some prints so I printed a few for the magazine hopefuls.

Kwak, Hye-ji by Lee Smathers, on Flickr

Jang, Seong-ik by Lee Smathers, on Flickr

Yoo, Seung-gyun by Lee Smathers, on Flickr

All are taken with a Korona 8x10, 12" Dagor (+yellow filter), Fuji HR-A (high speed green sensitive) @160, Rodinal 1:50 4 min (not stripped), some are tray developed some are tank and hangar developed
    Printed on Fomabrom 111 in Dektol 1:2 using a 1.5 printing filter

Very nice Lee. I am in a marathon reading of http://www.largeformatphotography.in...parison/page35

Which I should have done some time ago.

Got some Kodak CSG 8x10 today...
    Tin Can

If a person can't find a photo tray, pretty unlikely, and doesn't have a tank and hanger, more understandable, then get a Pyrex baking pan made of glass. Grocery stores have then as we'll as other houseware / home centers.

Has anyone done tray development in a closet, I mean mine is small, no working counters, carpeted and there is no ventilation. Seems pretty tough. The only thing I can think of is find small glass trays three in number and try and fit them on one of the rack, back to back. If I can fill dev, water and fix in each one of them before starting and then carefully without spilling chemicals, and if that happens I am sure my wife will kick me out of the house. Is it possible that I develop in the the first tray and then dip the negative a few times in the second tray filled with water (hope i don't have to get more water as that would mean taking the tray out of the closet and into the bath, cant do that without exposing to light) and then put the negative in the fix, and after five minutes I can take the fixer tray out to the bath and wash the negative.

I am not sure how to agitate a tray, and I am sure I would have gloves on and it would be difficult to grab the negative with them as they are not tight around the fingers. If I have to move the tray to agitate then there is a danger of spilling the developer on the carpet , as I don't have a proper darkroom.

Any suggestion? I am sure this is more to do with film development and should be in the other section, but again we are trying to shoot x-ray and it would be nice if other then watching nice pictures we can also discuss how to take such pictures and hence see more of them being posted, isn't that the whole objective of a forum, well I maybe wrong.

Cheers
    Raffay

Raffay, here is a youtube video This is the first in a series. I have not watched them all so I don't know how involved they get. I process my sheet film in my bathtub. I lay my 3 trays in the bottom of the tub, add chems, turn out the lights and turn on the red safelight. I do not wear gloves. I should, but I don't. My fingers may fall off eventually.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Raffay, you can work in a closet. I did in Japan (kitchen corner). Put a couple of shelves in to support trays. The glass trays are a good idea...heavy but do-able. I wore a respirator since there was no air circulation in my plastic wrapped tomb back in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Shawn, can you describe your method or link to it if you have already? Beautiful image above.
    Sure thing, Randy. Here's a link that describes my attempt with ziploc and then one with trays. My trays are ribbed, so I just line the bottoms with a piece of smooth glass. I rock all four sides of the tray every 30 seconds.

The x-ray film is capable of amazing things, even at night!

Shake Shack at Night, 8x10 Fuji HR-T X-Ray Film by Shawn Hoke, on Flickr