Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Videos of You photographing

Kevin Kolosky

Videos of You photographing

Lately I find my self going to U-Tube a lot to watch videos of some of the great old photographers out there doing their thing. I think I have watched all of the Ansel Adams ones at least 3 or 4 times, and I like the ones by Edward Weston and Bresson and Paul Strand and quite a few others. I just find it interesting to hear people talk about what they are doing, and watch them doing photography.

Does anybody here ever record their self out in the field doing large format photography? And by any chance do you put it on U-Tube so that others can enjoy watching, and possibly learning, from what you are thinking and doing.

Re: Videos of You photographing

No, my tripod is in use for LF when I'm shooting LF and would be needed to do video well. Sound would be difficult too, with wind, etc... Those would be my challenges. I see no reason to carry a second tripod or wireless mics and batteries when out shooting. Those ones you watch are probably professionally done videos, not something one would do on a lark when out photographing. Ben Horne has a youtube channel of himself out shooting LF. Eddie Gunks has some decent videos too.

I have an unedited video of me working with my 14x17 on some logs at the edge of the Pitt River near my place. The tide came in and I was almost surrounded by water! I should dig up the video and watch it for a laugh.

A friend camed by while I was shooting collodion...feel free to watch the video (in French)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dl-R_bDXvSI

Abuser of God's Sunlight

A friend shot a day worth of footage of me on my last project, which is now getting edited into crowd funding video. I'm lucky to know a pro who's used to working with non-actors (he made all the Sam Adams commercials with the bearded guys). Still, I find it mostly embarassing to watch and am not going to put it online anywhere I don't need to.

I never thought about it but I guess I could make a video of what not to do.

Zebra

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    A friend shot a day worth of footage of me on my last project, which is now getting edited into crowd funding video. I'm lucky to know a pro who's used to working with non-actors (he made all the Sam Adams commercials with the bearded guys). Still, I find it mostly embarassing to watch and am not going to put it online anywhere I don't need to.
    I would like you to reconsider. Your comments here are always thoughtful and thought provoking and I would very much like to see you talking about your work whilst out and about! To say nothing of potentially wanting to contribute to the crowd funding effort!!!

Monty

These days it's trivially easy to get excellent quality video with any bog-standard point & shoot. If you have someone with you, they can shoot handheld with one - then take it into Adobe Premiere (you have CS right?) and use the Warp Stabilize effect - instant steadycam. Frame the shot with 20-25% extra as the stabilization crops slightly. I've walked down the aisle shooting wedding video of the bride with a DSLR that looked awful from motion and it cleaned up to a perfectly smooth video with that effect, and no loss in quality (it just crops into the frame and follows the movement).

For most uses the built-in mic is just fine. A few extra dollars for a portable recorder and a big windscreen and you will have fantastic sound. I never use the built-in mics in my little handheld (I use it for location recording sometimes with mics plugged in) but I used it for a meeting/discussion and I was amazed at just how well they do.

Of course you can't replace a pro and top-flight gear but just for fun internet/youtube vids it is more than adequate.

I've actually been thinking about getting a Go Pro and harness and wearing one on my chest while hiking/wading to document the processes.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Here are 3 that Eddie Gunks made of me. A bit of fun. Eddie loves to laugh. That's a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlmIM5700wE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICLG3HCDlhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EdwUaQb0ME

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    These days it's trivially easy to get excellent quality video with any bog-standard point & shoot. If you have someone with you, they can shoot handheld with one - then take it into Adobe Premiere (you have CS right?) and use the Warp Stabilize effect - instant steadycam. Frame the shot with 20-25% extra as the stabilization crops slightly. I've walked down the aisle shooting wedding video of the bride with a DSLR that looked awful from motion and it cleaned up to a perfectly smooth video with that effect, and no loss in quality (it just crops into the frame and follows the movement).

For most uses the built-in mic is just fine. A few extra dollars for a portable recorder and a big windscreen and you will have fantastic sound. I never use the built-in mics in my little handheld (I use it for location recording sometimes with mics plugged in) but I used it for a meeting/discussion and I was amazed at just how well they do.

Of course you can't replace a pro and top-flight gear but just for fun internet/youtube vids it is more than adequate.

I've actually been thinking about getting a Go Pro and harness and wearing one on my chest while hiking/wading to document the processes.
    I added a $5 clip on lapel mic to my D600 and sound is much better. Used to get tons of mechanical and whooshing sounds focusing and noise from moving my hands on the camera. I just let the lapel dangle or clip it on my arm and it's good. If anyone moves up to wireless mics, brands and quality is more variable.

I just ponied up for premier elements. I didn't feel like going from $10/mo to $50 to get the whole suite. It has some stabilization abilities I haven't tried yet.