Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why some lenses have a "haze" on GG and some look clear?

Re: Why some lenses have a "haze" on GG and some look clear?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Just to be sure, you don’t have a filter on either the front or the back of your lens in question?
    No, no filter. Always good to ask the obvious! I work in IT. "is it plugged in?" Are you in front of your computer now?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    No, no filter. Always good to ask the obvious! I work in IT. "is it plugged in?" Are you in front of your computer now?
    Right. Thee other day my oldest grandson’s fiancé plopped down on the couch, pulled out her iPhone and plugged it in to a convenient charger cord.
    After an hour I asked her if she was charging her phone. She said of course. I asked her if it wouldn’t be faster f she plugged the other end into the charger.
    She turned a delightful shade of red!

You use lens serial numbers to check its production year. Usually lenses made after WWII are coated. Some uncoated lenses produce more flare/haze due to their design. My uncoated Zeiss-Dagor have no haze/flare due to its design. My uncoted Hugo Meyer wide angle lens has tons of haze/flare while the same coated one has none.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    You use lens serial numbers to check its production year. Usually lenses made after WWII are coated. Some uncoated lenses produce more flare/haze due to their design. My uncoated Zeiss-Dagor have no haze/flare due to its design. My uncoted Hugo Meyer wide angle lens has tons of haze/flare while the same coated one has none.
    This is super interesting Hugo!! Now that I got almost all my lenses on Linhof boards, I will check them on my 4x5 Chamonix that has a nice GG to it and see if it is same. My 8x10 has a new GG that I got from, I forgot, but it was claimed to be "brighter". I also have an extra BOSSCREEN laying around, I will test these lenses on the smaller format.
    --

Another possibility: Your lens is simply not that sharp at maximum aperture. Many lenses, including an Ektar or two I have, have lots of aberrations and distortion wide open that disappears after stopping down to optimum aperture. My 135mm WF Ektars always look a little soft and "glowy" at the edges when I'm focusing, but do great stopped down.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Another possibility: Your lens is simply not that sharp at maximum aperture. Many lenses, including an Ektar or two I have, have lots of aberrations and distortion wide open that disappears after stopping down to optimum aperture. My 135mm WF Ektars always look a little soft and "glowy" at the edges when I'm focusing, but do great stopped down.

Best,

Doremus
    Ohhh, EXCELLENT point! Although, it is a little hard to stop down and actually look through. But yes, sometime today, I'll point the camera to a sunny spot again and check and stop down.

Are there any good KAISERSCHMARRN in Oregon?
    --

... Are there any good KAISERSCHMARRN in Oregon?

Only if I make it myself! I like to cook and make a lot of Viennese/Austrian dishes; things that I miss from my 30 years living in Vienna. Like "real" Wienerschnitzel, Tafelspitz, Erdäpfelsalat, Krautsalat, Cremespinat, Rotkraut, and the occasional Kaiserschmarrn (if I can find the plums...).

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post

Only if I make it myself! I like to cook and make a lot of Viennese/Austrian dishes; things that I miss from my 30 years living in Vienna. Like "real" Wienerschnitzel, Tafelspitz, Erdäpfelsalat, Krautsalat, Cremespinat, Rotkraut, and the occasional Kaiserschmarrn (if I can find the plums...).

Best,

Doremus
    I was a sous-chef at #2 Austrian restaurant in NYC back in early 90's. I know how to make all of those. The owner was dang picky about the cucumber salad. It was never "austrian" enough. We sold Wienerschitzel like it was the end of the world. Tafelspitz was suprisingly a good dish.
    --

I was a sous-chef at #2 Austrian restaurant in NYC back in early 90's. I know how to make all of those. The owner was dang picky about the cucumber salad. It was never "austrian" enough. We sold Wienerschitzel like it was the end of the world. Tafelspitz was suprisingly a good dish.
    If you know someplace in northern GA that makes a real schweinhaxen I would sure like to know who.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    If you know someplace in northern GA that makes a real schweinhaxen I would sure like to know who.
    okay, we actually never made that one. NOt sure if there was a market in NYC for it. Maybe there is now, but not back then. Every country that has a lot of poorer people have a version of this but basically it's all same. Cook first in liquid, then roast it to make it crispy. The liquid part is whatever ethnicity is known for. Austrians: Juniper berries, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, etc. Asians would be star anise, cinnamon, garlic ginger lemongrass, filipinos would be garlic, peppercorns, bay leaf, and some sort of acidity.
    --