Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schneider xenar 105mm 3.5

Schneider xenar 105mm 3.5

Hello all

Thinking of this lens for 4x5. I know it was designed for 6x9 and is often found on the Linhof Technika IV but i hear from the seller that s/he has been using it on 4X5. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks
    mainoo

Re: Schneider xenar 105mm 3.5

No, that lens will not cover 4x5

You can use it on a 45 camera as long as you don’t need it to cover a 45 piece of film. But for roll film, fine.

Thanks to both of you for responding.

My intention is to use it wide open for portraits on 4x5 film. Does the fact that I don't need it at infinity help? I was unable to find any info on its image circle - does anyone know?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by lis boa View Post

My intention is to use it wide open for portraits on 4x5 film. Does the fact that I don't need it at infinity help? I was unable to find any info on its image circle - does anyone know?

Thanks again
    Closer then infinity helps but using it wide open doesn’t. In either case it won’t cover 45 and a 105 on 45 is way too short for portraiture unless you want large noses, large foreheads, large shoulders, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Closer then infinity helps but using it wide open doesn’t. In either case it won’t cover 45 and a 105 on 45 is way too short for portraiture unless you want large noses, large foreheads, large shoulders, etc..
    Not a huge fan of large foreheads and shoulders though they do have a certain something to them. but that's not all that's to be had from wide angle portraits

Thanks again
    All the information you need is on Schneider's website .
    For that lens , see here ; https://www.schneideroptics.com/info...4,5-105mm.html

Coverage aside , 105mm is quite a wide angle of view for potrait's unless there enviromental potraits .

If your looking for a slightly wider lens than classic type potraits ( head & shoulder type ) , wouldn't a 150mm lens suit you better ?
    Cheap enough and plenty to go for . Coverage won't be an issue either .

Quote Originally Posted by neilt3 View Post
    All the information you need is on Schneider's website .
    For that lens , see here ; https://www.schneideroptics.com/info...4,5-105mm.html

Coverage aside , 105mm is quite a wide angle of view for potrait's unless there enviromental potraits .

If your looking for a slightly wider lens than classic type potraits ( head & shoulder type ) , wouldn't a 150mm lens suit you better ?
    Cheap enough and plenty to go for . Coverage won't be an issue either .
    Thanks for responding. The lens i'm talking about is a 3.5, not 4.5 and isn't listed anywhere that i have seen.
    I also have a 150 mm. But, yes, i like environmental portraits and feel you can make interesting (nay, unique) portraits using wide angle lenses.
    Thanks again.

You haven't looked very hard and you haven't used the list described here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...mainly)-lenses

Since you can't feed yourself, the information you want is here: https://www.schneideroptics.com/info...3,5-100mm.html

Thanks for responding. The lens i'm talking about is a 3.5, not 4.5 and isn't listed anywhere that i have seen.
    I also have a 150 mm. But, yes, i like environmental portraits and feel you can make interesting (nay, unique) portraits using wide angle lenses.
    Thanks again.
    My mistake , I didn't spot the different aperture .
    It's strange that is missing from this list ( https://www.schneideroptics.com/info..._lenses/xenar/ ) at Schneider .

I did a search on ebay and there's plenty of the lens your asking about on there .
    Strange that there's not much information of it on the net .
    Seems to of also been available with an M42 mount for 35mm , probably for use on bellows as there seems to be refrances on using it for macro .

Still seems to be of use for just 6x9cm though , maybe an earlier version of the f/4.5 and they just restricted the aperture to improve I.Q leaving the same coverage ?

Would 135mm be to long for you ?
    I tend to use my Xenar 135mm f/4.7 on a Crown Graphic and like the results . The stated recomended coverage is for 90x120mm but even with a bit of forward tilt coverage seems fine . The lens is stopped down a bit as I tend to shoot landscape more .
    I have quite a few lenses to choose from but this one suits a lot of what I do .