Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I Bite the PayPal Bullet?

Should I Bite the PayPal Bullet?

Wasn't like this (for me) in the very recent past...but lately it seems almost impossible for me to sell any of my gear without offering PayPal. Do others find this true also? Am I too old-fashioned?

Seems more often these days that folks will indicate serious interest, then, no matter how friendly/trustworthy I seem, and no matter what fantastically discounted the pricing, they will back off when they find that I do not offer PayPal.

While I do consider the occasional selling of my gear a part of my business (enough to justify this thread) I really don't feel like I sell enough to justify my offering PayPal. But am I wrong?

Finally, I've been burned/scammed in the past and am feeling paranoid that PayPal might not be safe for a seller. But is this so? Should I "bite the PayPal bullet?"

Re: Should I Bite the PayPal Bullet?

I use PayPal ONLY if required by a seller. Many do.

Since i trust nearly every seller on this forum I prefer to save us both by using alternative methods which include US Postal Money Orders as insisted by some sellers here.

That said, I often send the PayPal as 'Friend' and I PAY THE EXTRA, but it depends.

If a buyer does not trust YOU JOHN, don't sell to them!

We have had this Forum discussion before, but it's good to do it again.
    Tin Can

I have never used paypill and never will.

I make payment in cash only.
    I've never had a seller refuse to accept cash, even if they say PP only
    You have to ask.

I request payment in cash or US Postal Service money orders, but no others.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I prefer Paypal, not because I don’t trust the counter party, but rather out of convenience. I even make transfers to my family using PayPal.

Paypal delivers a lot of value. Why would you not pay for its service just like any other valuable service?

I hope you will be open-minded to the ongoing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by howardpan View Post
    I prefer Paypal, not because I don’t trust the counter party, but rather out of convenience. I even make transfers to my family using PayPal.

Paypal delivers a lot of value. Why would you not pay for its service just like any other valuable service?

I hope you will be open-minded to the ongoing changes.
    Clearly, you've never had to deal with PayPal's dispute process as a seller, where you are as likely to lose as the sun is to rise tomorrow morning ... BTDT.

I still use it, because I have no choice, but I don't like to do so, since it's just too easy to get scammed these days, even after approaching the transaction with your eyes wide open and taking every practical precaution to prevent it and protect yourself. <sigh>

I've never had a problem using PayPal, which I now use exclusively for my person-to-person transactions. It is not only convenient, but it offers some security/insurance for a buyer should things go awry. I've been a PayPal user for nearly a decade and recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I've never had a problem using PayPal, which I now use exclusively for my person-to-person transactions. It is not only convenient, but it offers some security/insurance for a buyer should things go awry. I've been a PayPal user for nearly a decade and recommend it.
    I don't doubt your personal experience with PayPal and as a buyer, I actually agree with you.

But the OP was asking about using PayPal as a seller, which is something very different indeed, as I have learned to my detriment.

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    I don't doubt your personal experience with PayPal and as a buyer, I actually agree with you.

But the OP was asking about using PayPal as a seller, which is something very different indeed, as I have learned to my detriment.
    And I don't doubt you've had bad experiences, but not ALL sellers have had problems. One data point does not tell the whole story.

In my "real" life, :-) , I'm an accountant with a business practice. It's been a while, but PayPal was very difficult to deal with on the accounting side, and, after some difficulty, came to the conclusion that their fees for 2 different clients were quite high.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    And I don't doubt you've had bad experiences, but not ALL sellers have had problems. One data point does not tell the whole story.
    Well, in my case, I have two data points, so I can draw a line between them and extrapolate from them, too!

Fortunately, both transactions were for relatively small amounts ($85 and $175), but still...