Page 42 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital IR

Re: Digital IR

This is a sort of "digital" IR. The effect was accomplished while scanning the color negative rather than in camera or in post processing:
    Scarborough Faire 2016
    Mamiya RB67 150SF wide open
    Jobo - Unicolor
    Ektar negative with Saturation and Vibrance set to zero while scanning
    Waxahachie, TX

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27414844601_00f5fa261b_k.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	219059

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Sony a6300, Sigma 16mm, 830nm

Nice one Ari!

Quote Originally Posted by alanbutler57 View Post
    This is a sort of "digital" IR. The effect was accomplished while scanning the color negative rather than in camera or in post processing:
    Scarborough Faire 2016
    Mamiya RB67 150SF wide open
    Jobo - Unicolor
    Ektar negative with Saturation and Vibrance set to zero while scanning
    Waxahachie, TX

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27414844601_00f5fa261b_k.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	219059
    Interesting Alan. I've never seen it done this way before.
    Last edited by jon.oman; 27-Aug-2021 at 12:46. Reason: Typo

Inspired by Jeffrey, I went to my local sports park. These were done with my D810 and the R72 filter.

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    I did not think of Amazon. Checked it out now. They did not have it in 82mm size anyway, so I could not have gotten it through them. The cost was not that much, so I was not that concerned with getting just one.

I'm looking at getting the high quality 590nm filter from either lifepixel or kolari. They are both about the same cost. I guess they are about the same quality? So, flip a coin?

Kolari is closer to me.....
    Hi Jon

BTW, I just received a pack of five IR filters you mentioned a couple of weeks ago or so (680nm, 720nm, 760nm, 850nm and 950nm) for a full spectrum Fuji mirrorless camera. I already have a hot mirror filter for this camera so now I will have a full spectrum of possibilities. The filters appear to be pretty high quality and each comes in a nice filter holder. Thanks for the lead, lot less expensive than buying individual filters in this filter thread.

Nearly all of my experience with IR has been with 580-720 nm conversions, which allow some visual color. My understanding is that the 760, 850 and 950 filters allow no UV or Visual light at all to pass so it will be interesting to explore the pros and cons of comparing images with the three high IR filters.

Attached is a from my front door shot with the 950 nm filter. What seems very impressive with this filter is the very fine gradations in upper highlight tonal areas, while at the same time the deepest shadows have detail.

Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 950 nm copy.jpg  
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Sony a6300, Tamron 24mm, 830nm

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Hi Jon

BTW, I just received a pack of five IR filters you mentioned a couple of weeks ago or so (680nm, 720nm, 760nm, 850nm and 950nm) for a full spectrum Fuji mirrorless camera. I already have a hot mirror filter for this camera so now I will have a full spectrum of possibilities. The filters appear to be pretty high quality and each comes in a nice filter holder. Thanks for the lead, lot less expensive than buying individual filters in this filter thread.

Nearly all of my experience with IR has been with 580-720 nm conversions, which allow some visual color. My understanding is that the 760, 850 and 950 filters allow no UV or Visual light at all to pass so it will be interesting to explore the pros and cons of comparing images with the three high IR filters.

Attached is a from my front door shot with the 950 nm filter. What seems very impressive with this filter is the very fine gradations in upper highlight tonal areas, while at the same time the deepest shadows have detail.

Sandy
    Sandy,

That is great to hear (and see)! My package of those filters is currently sitting at my post office. I should get them on Monday. I'm looking foreword to trying them out as well. If everything goes well, I should also be getting a high quality Super Color 590nm filter on Tuesday. I feel like it is Christmas! So many possibilities!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Sony a6300, Tamron 24mm, 830nm

Nice set of images Ari, but did you tone this one? It looks different than the other two.

A couple from today. Nikon D810, R72 filter.

Thanks, Jon. I did tone it.
    Not as subtle as it first seemed.