Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder Kickstarter - Friday 9 August 2019 Noon launch

ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder Kickstarter - Friday 9 August 2019 Noon launch

Link to campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...y-plate-holder

7 August Update:

It's official! The launch of the ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder is officially launching at NOON Eastern on Friday, 9 August 2019.

In conjunction with Chroma Camera, I'm pleased to announce the upcoming launch of the Kickstarter campaign for the ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate holder is on! Official launch is set for Friday, August 9th at 12pm Noon Eastern Time.

The ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder will be available in 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 for this campaign (other sizes will follow after a successful campaign).

The goal of this campaign is nothing short of historic: This will be the first mass-produced dry plate holder available on the market in decades.

Our collaborative effort has pushed the design as far as possible, including prototyping, testing, and incorporating lessons learned back into the holder designs. Now we need the help of interested backers to make these holders a reality.

The Kickstarter campaign is intended to raise the funds necessary to cover costs of manufacturing of molds for the injection molded components, an initial production run, assembly of the holder.

The ergonomics of the ChromaGraphica holder will be very similar to sheet film holders. It will accommodate two dry plates, front and back. The plates are loaded from the bottom. The dark slide handle is white on one side and black on the other, to allow you to differentiate between exposed and unexposed plates.

In addition, the ChromaGraphica incorporates a unique feature which we call a loaded plate indicator. This allows you to determine at a glance whether you have a plate loaded (one indicator for each side). No more having to go into the darkroom to check, or taking that million-dollar shot on an empty holder. A feature I could have used many times in the past. [​IMG]:smile:

The ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate holder is fully compatible with standard 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 cameras. The ChromaGraphica will also accommodate sheet film adapters so that conventional sheet film can be used in the holder.

Taking advantage of modern manufacturing methods, the pricing of the holders meets my oft-stated goal of making dry plate photography an accessible and affordable alternative process for the larger photographic community. Affordability, familiarity of use, and quality were fundamental requirements that we adopted from the beginning of the design effort last year.

Campaign reward levels for single holders, in USD, are set at

$54 (4x5)
    $75 (5x7)
    $108 (8x10)

There will be pledge options for multiple holder rewards as well as a campaign-exclusive silver gelatin print reward, enlarged from a dry plate exposed using the prototype holder.

The link to the campaign will go live on Friday, 6 August 2019 at Noon Eastern! But even if you don't have a link, after launch you can search Kickstarter for ChromaGraphica and you should be able to find it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...y-plate-holder

For more information on Pictoriographica and J Lane Dry Plates, visit http://www.pictoriographica.com (I don't have an announcement on the website yet but I will tonight... gotta go to work).

For more information on the awesome Chroma Cameras, visit http://chroma.camera

See post # 24 for pictures.

Cheers,
    Jason

Hi folks,

I'm very excited to announce that I've just begun testing of prototype dry plate holders which Chroma Camera and I have teamed together to release as a Kickstarter campaign in the near future. Steve and I, both with engineering backgrounds and the right kind of experience for tackling this problem, have been working on this holder design in our spare time since late last year and we think we have something which will not only serve those of us in the large format community interested in shooting dry plate, but a solution which will be pleasingly affordable as well.

Those of you who are aware of my dry plates likely know how scarce dry plate holders are. Dry plates have a finite thickness due to the glass, and naturally won't fit into the film holders that we all use. Antique plate holders such as those found on eBay or at camera shows can be made to work, but are several decades old and are often of dubious quality. New, high quality holders are available out there, but are relatively expensive and geared towards the wet plate market... meaning they only hold one plate.

EM of emulsive.org knew of my angst (I complained to him one day during the course of a conversation), and put me in touch with Steve Lloyd of Chroma Camera. If you aren't aware of his cameras, you should probably take a look. http://chroma.camera/ Once I explained the problem to Steve and the basic design requirements, our collaboration took off. This kickstarter is (one of the) fruits of our efforts.

Nobody is more in tune with the lack of accessories necessary to shoot dry plate holders than I, since I answer questions on where to find holders almost on a daily basis. I have been contemplating this problem since the beginning of my dry plate venture, as this is the type of problem that engineers like myself love to contemplate when I should be doing other work.

Our design goals were simple:

1) A scalable design to support all the plate sizes out there
    2) Affordable, but without sacrificing quality / durability
    3) Compatible not only with my plates (and their historically accurate thickness), but also with the common sheet glass thickness that I'd expect a DIY dry plate maker would use.

Initial Kickstarter will include 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 holders to get these most common sizes out there. Long term, we plan to supply holders in any size needed by dry plate shooters.

I'll update here as we get closer to start date, which should happen sometime over the next two months.

Cheers,
    Jason Lane
    Pictoriographica LLC
    Brookline, NH

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E7723E1F-C278-4C0E-B80E-F52E2D578235.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	186778
    Last edited by Nodda Duma; 9-Aug-2019 at 18:11.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Re: Affordable Dry Plate Holder Kickstarter coming!

Very good idea Jason.

I imagine you could include wet plate designs into this project.

Perhaps even new film holders!

Why did Chroma Camera not post their KS here?

May you have good fortune!
    Tin Can

That's terrific, Jason. See? Procrastination can pay off! (Meaning that I've wanted to get some holders for awhile....)
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Jason: Aren't you already making those?
    ---------------
    Last edited by pepeguitarra; 24-Jan-2019 at 21:44.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Great news !!!!!

Foamer

I have two Graphic holders in 4x5 and two in 5x7 that are working well for me. I would almost certainly buy one or two more 4x5 if reasonably priced. Now, when I want to shoot more than four plates in a day I have to use a changing bag which is a pain in the ass with plates.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Cool! I've been wanting to try dry plates, but don't have any holders. I may even consider a 5x7 one, too. I have a 5x7 I haven't used, yet, 'cause I still need to make/adapt a lens holder. It'd be cool to shoot dry plates with it.

Yes its something I would like to try again. I do use wet plate holders for 8x10, but would definitely purchase a couple of purpose built holders.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm very excited to announce that I've just begun testing of prototype dry plate holders which Chroma Camera and I have teamed together to release as a Kickstarter campaign in the near future. Steve and I, both with engineering backgrounds and the right kind of experience for tackling this problem, have been working on this holder design in our spare time since late last year and we think we have something which will not only serve those of us in the large format community interested in shooting dry plate, but a solution which will be pleasingly affordable as well.

Those of you who are aware of my dry plates likely know how scarce dry plate holders are. Dry plates have a finite thickness due to the glass, and naturally won't fit into the film holders that we all use. Antique plate holders such as those found on eBay or at camera shows can be made to work, but are several decades old and are often of dubious quality. New, high quality holders are available out there, but are relatively expensive and geared towards the wet plate market... meaning they only hold one plate.

EM of emulsive.org knew of my angst (I complained to him one day during the course of a conversation), and put me in touch with Steve Lloyd of Chroma Camera. If you aren't aware of his cameras, you should probably take a look. http://chroma.camera/ Once I explained the problem to Steve and the basic design requirements, our collaboration took off. This kickstarter is (one of the) fruits of our efforts.

Nobody is more in tune with the lack of accessories necessary to shoot dry plate holders than I, since I answer questions on where to find holders almost on a daily basis. I have been contemplating this problem since the beginning of my dry plate venture, as this is the type of problem that engineers like myself love to contemplate when I should be doing other work.

Our design goals were simple:

1) A scalable design to support all the plate sizes out there
    2) Affordable, but without sacrificing quality / durability
    3) Compatible not only with my plates (and their historically accurate thickness), but also with the common sheet glass thickness that I'd expect a DIY dry plate maker would use.

Initial Kickstarter will include 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 holders to get these most common sizes out there. Long term, we plan to supply holders in any size needed by dry plate shooters.

I'll update here as we get closer to start date, which should happen sometime over the next two months.

Cheers,
    Jason Lane
    Pictoriographica LLC
    Brookline, NH

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E7723E1F-C278-4C0E-B80E-F52E2D578235.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	186778
    Hi Jason:
    I have not seen a recent update regarding the availability of your dry plate holders.
    Could you please advise when they will be available?
    I am looking for 8x10 and 4x5.
    Thank you!
    Drew

Foamer

It's the "missing piece" of the dry plate ecosystem. I jumped in early and have two 4x5 and three 5x7 holders, but it's pretty slim pickings out there now.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!