Thread: Best Carbon Print Video

Best Carbon Print Video

https://thewetprint.com/

Amazing

Real

dirt
    Tin Can

Re: Best Carbon Print Video

Calvin has done a lot of incredible research and work in this direction.

Fortunately, I am totally satisfied with working in one-layer monochrome, single transfer carbon printing. Its simplest basic form. I love working with Jell-O and burnt stuff (carbon).
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Also note that using DAS, as Calvin does, is a much harder road than Dichromate in many ways, even for single transfer. I wouldn't suggest starting with DAS out of the gate, it requires knowing a lot of tricks and its not as flexible as Dichromate when it comes to Contrast Control specifically.

I do love his subject, very well chosen and perfect in every way

I call that very High Art

I am fond of pretty people
    Tin Can

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Calvin has done a lot of incredible research and work in this direction.

Fortunately, I am totally satisfied with working in one-layer monochrome, single transfer carbon printing. Its simplest basic form. I love working with Jell-O and burnt stuff (carbon).
    I'm with you Vaughn. I'm a simple one layer glop monster too.

The Glop Monster...wasn't that Steve McQueen's first movie

Thats marveluos!
    I’m watching him for a long time, he postin a lot in FB.
    But my doubts are a fully dependency to imagesetter.
    Thats definitely not for everyone.
    Traditional carbon at some photography history point was common and affordable way to make a print.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaidotas View Post
    Thats marveluos!
    Traditional carbon at some photography history point was common and affordable way to make a print.
    It was actually on the high end of cost and quality...until Dye-transfer pushed Carbon printing out of the limelight. But for a short while it was the only permanent way to make high-definition prints (B&W or color) from a negative(s).

But that said, it is a simple process using simple materials, and I use the same formulas and basic methods developed and patented by Sir Swan almost 160 years ago. We do have better materials now. Of course since one has control of all the variables (as opposed to buying photopaper and pre-mixed chemicals), there is so much more that can go sideways at any time! And that is what makes it a fun and still important process now. As a process, it is simple (in form) and flexible enough to be what the artist wants it to be...within the wide limits of the materials.

But it certainly is more work than the average photographer wishes to do to make a print, even after the learning curve has been ridden.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    It was actually on the high end of cost and quality...until Dye-transfer pushed Carbon printing out of the limelight. But for a short while it was the only permanent way to make high-definition prints (B&W or color) from a negative(s).

But that said, it is a simple process using simple materials, and I use the same formulas and basic methods developed and patented by Sir Swan almost 160 years ago. We do have better materials now. Of course since one has control of all the variables (as opposed to buying photopaper and pre-mixed chemicals), there is so much more that can go sideways at any time! And that is what makes it a fun and still important process now. As a process, it is simple (in form) and flexible enough to be what the artist wants it to be...within the wide limits of the materials.

But it certainly is more work than the average photographer wishes to do to make a print, even after the learning curve has been ridden.
    The great thing is that the prints are spectacular when you get it down. I have some old videos to watch and Calvin is doing something that is really outstanding for sure. For those interested join Vaughn and myself in Yosemite this April and we will give you all you need to know to do the process instead of watching how it is done on a video. Sorry for the shameless plug!

Twenty years ago when I started profiling printers I was like, "I bet you could do this to make color prints with alt processes" but I was too lazy to do it. Glad someone else did. His prints are pretty spectacular. And he has some new non toxic way of making gum prints.