Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 color? what's my options?

3d Visual Effects artist

8x10 color? what's my options?

So I've been thinking about shooting some color film (positive/slide, not negative). I'd like something with a decent amount of range, a coworker of my suggested Astia would have a good amount of range. I've been thinking about Velvia 50, but from what I have read the range on velvia is very slim? I'm used to shooting Tri-x 320, which seems to have a very wide range, will it be difficult to adapt to the thin range? or is it fairly easy to calculate when spot metering? (I assume the range for shadow and highlights are a known value of stops?)

I'm looking to shoot a pack of 4x5 before I go to 8x10, so that i can start to learn the film in a cheaper size before I go to the more expensive 8x10. I'm not looking to shoot a whole lot of color, but there are some locations that I would like to have some nice big transparencies of.

So anyway, what are my options for color 8x10? Freestyle doesn't seem to list any color transparencies in 8x10! http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_main.php?cat_id=1303 Astia doesn't seem to be offered in 8x10 (according to the Fuji website), so, what are my options?

Thanks!
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Re: 8x10 color? what's my options?

I don't know all of the options, but I use Kodak E100VS in 8x10 and really like it. The colors pop, but they are not as overly exagerated as with Velvia 50. B&H, Adorama, amongst others carry the film. Get ready to spend some big bucks on 8x10 slide film (about $8.50 per sheet). Once you have developed your sheet and have it on the light table all thoughts of how expensive this stuff is goes out the door - the transparency just looks absolutely stunning.
    Juergen

3d Visual Effects artist

the expense doesn't bother me to much, since I won't be shooting it very often. I'll give the E100VS a look, thanks :-)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but E100VS in 8x10 has been discontinued by Kodak. B&H no longer lists it; Badger Graphic had some remaining stock but it is no longer listed on their web site, so they may be out too.

When I last checked (roughly in the middle of last year), Fuji USA planned to stock Velvia 50 and Provia 100F in 8x10. In addition, Badger stocks Velvia 100 in 8x10, which I believe they import directly from Japan. Of these, the lowest contrast film with the best retention of shadow detail is Provia. It ranks between Astia and Velvia in color saturation. I shoot Provia and like it a lot; some folks dislike its tendency to sometimes go blue in shadow areas, but I infrequently encounter this and it is easy enough to correct with either warming filters or digital scanning/post-processing.

Provia's contrast and color saturation can also be increased by pushing one stop.

Kodak E100G is also available in 8x10. I have never used it, but its characteristics may be closer to Astia than Provia. I have not encountered any landscape photographers (my primary genre) that use it.
    Last edited by Eric Leppanen; 9-Apr-2008 at 15:00. Reason: I forgot to add E100G...

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post
    Of these, the lowest contrast film with the best retention of shadow detail is Provia. It ranks between Astia and Velvia in color saturation.
    Saturation between Astia and Velvia wouldn't be bad, Astia is fairly 'normal' with it's saturation, from what I've been told? How about the range/latitude of Provia 100, is it wider than Velvia? Using something that is currently in production would probably be better than something that has stopped production, in the event that I wish to shoot more of it later on.

I've shot a lot of Provia 100F in 8x10. Great film. Test it to make sure it's right for your point of view.

I know you don't want color negative, but I've shot a lot of Kodak 400 and Fuji 160S. Both give great results.

Good like. Have no experience with 8x10 Velvia or Astia.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Buck View Post
    How about the range/latitude of Provia 100, is it wider than Velvia?
    In terms of range/latitude Provia also rates between Astia and Velvia. Roughly speaking I'd say that Provia has roughly a half stop more latitude than Velvia, maybe a half stop less than Astia.

Provia's latitude can be enhanced by pulling one half stop, although color saturation noticeably diminishes when doing so.

3d Visual Effects artist

Thanks for the info everyone, I think I'll get a small pack of 4x5 Provia and see how it goes :-)

No, please say, it ain't so! No more E100VS in 8x10?! I just got another box not even three weeks ago - must have bene one of the last ones they had at B&H.

I have also used E100G and it is a very nice film as well - not as saturated as VS, but a good all-around slide film.

I think I'm gonna get drunk now - this sucks!
    Juergen

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juergen Sattler View Post
    No, please say, it ain't so! No more E100VS in 8x10?! I just got another box not even three weeks ago - must have bene one of the last ones they had at B&H.
    I think I'm gonna get drunk now - this sucks!
    I feel your pain, Juergen- I have one 10 sheet box of 8X10 E100 VS left that I'm saving for a special occasion!
    Brian Vuillemenot