Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Prints??

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Big Prints??

Hello everyone,,

I want to start making 40 x 50" black-and-white prints in my dark room and I need to know where to buy that size of paper ?

Thank You,
    Steve

Re: Big Prints??

Rolls from Freestyle. I believe they are 42 or 44 inches wide x something like 50 feet long.

One tip,
    Although I haven't started printing anything that big yet, I had uneven development while printing 20x24.
    Because the development process had already started on the one end by the time I got the print fully submerged in the developer.
    I then read that pre-soaking the paper in water is supposed to reduce the effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M Hostetter View Post
    Hello everyone,,

I want to start making 40 x 50" black-and-white prints in my dark room and I need to know where to buy that size of paper ?

Thank You,
    Steve
    I get all my roll paper from either B&H Photo or Fred at the View Camera Store.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Artist View Post
    Rolls from Freestyle. I believe they are 42 or 44 inches wide x something like 50 feet long.

One tip,
    Although I haven't started printing anything that big yet, I had uneven development while printing 20x24.
    Because the development process had already started on the one end by the time I got the print fully submerged in the developer.
    I then read that pre-soaking the paper in water is supposed to reduce the effects.
    Ilford's Classic and Cooltone (glossy) papers definitely mottle at larger sizes. It was explained to me - by Ilford - that the emulsion of the newer papers isn't as robust as their warmtone paper, with which I haven't seen the same issue. Either a presoak and/or using stronger developer can help minimize the defect, though most of it depends on your processing methods and your subject matter.
    Last edited by Michael Wesik; 22-Aug-2015 at 17:53.

b&h or anyone who sells ilford products can get it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M Hostetter View Post
    where to buy that size of paper ?
    The easiest question to answer on the topic of Big Prints!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wesik View Post
    Ilford's Classic and Cooltone (glossy) papers definitely mottle at larger sizes. It was explained to me - by Ilford - that the emulsion of the newer papers isn't as robust as their warmtone paper, with which I haven't seen the same issue. Either a presoak and/or using stronger developer can help minimize the defect, though most of it depends on your processing methods and your subject matter.
    Thank you Michae,
    I didn't have enough time working with larger sheets to prefect my technique.
    However I remember it being an issue worth mentioning to someone who may be in the same place.

Check out Clyde Butcher for information about making huge prints. There may even be some demos on Youtube.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I, too, have been thinking about making some large prints. But I may go another route since I don't have a darkroom these days.

Two friends and fellow photographers here in Atlanta have very large ink-jet printers in each of their businesses. One has rolls of canvas that he can print on.

So once I've developed my 4x5" B&W negatives, scanned them and edited the files in Photoshop, all I will need to do is put the files on a thumb drive. There might be something to be said for not needing huge vats of messy chemicals and rolls of ornery paper to wrestle.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

But you won't be able to print them using silver, gold, and platinum which is my preferred preferred printing elements.

Another thing to consider is the matting/framing for that size print. Shown below is a sketch and the math for matting a 8x10 print to a 16x13 board:

Thomas

Pour the developer into a container with a handle, put the paper in the developing tray - emulsion side up - and pour the developer over the paper. Gets it wet and covers the surface quickly.
    You can make larger trays with a removable 'door' at one end so you can pour chemistry in and out rather than lifting the paper from tray to tray. Means you keep the chemistry in buckets/containers to fill and dump with each. Two or three large trays made this way means your paper stays in the same tray as you change chemistry all the way to fill and dump for the rinse.

A simple tray made of wood sections using a sheet of plastic to make it watertight is inexpensive and works well.