Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How to identify Horseman monorail camera models

Re: How to identify Horseman monorail camera models

You know there are so many weights being posted for the s i n a r f2 the official b&h catalog says 8 lb. I'm assuming that is probably the correct ways 6 lb as I previously found on the internet seems awfully light for a full monorail camera.

The official weight of the horsemen Le is 9.9 lb according to the b&h catalog so there's a 2 lb difference between the two cameras which is not significant but if you're carrying it in the woods or out of the studio 2 lb makes a difference.

If you are looking for a Sinar consider the Norma. I lucked into this one for $250

18x24 Mammo Shortie Sawed Off Norma by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is a test shot (my Shorty Norma) French Kodak 18x24cm Mammo Film, processed in D23 1:1. Taking camera is my new Annie/Avedon inspired 8x10 Norma. I applied 30 degrees of front and rear swing, the Norma original recessed lensboard is sharp all the way across the field. I like how the DOF drops off with the 360mm f5.6 Norma Symmar. There appears to be highlight blooming, which I find kind of attractive. Best thing about this film was that it was not at all expensive. And I have a lot of it. 500 sheets right now

My "Shorty Sawed-Off Norma" has a basic rail cut down, to just accomodate a 120mm lens. Here it is shown with the 47mm f8 Super Angulon, which I am looking forward to using a lot with 2x3 and 6x9. This is not a telephoto camera, but I can easily lift and carry it with one hand without strain. The lowly Star-D tripod is sturdy enough with this setup, given proper time to settle down. I cut both ends off a basic Norma rail with my Lil Machine Shop Bandsaw. So it is now simply a hollow tube perfect length for Field and Architecture.

I'd take this rig over a wooden field camera IMO. Radical camera movements are easily possible. Accessories are abundant. Weight cut down to bare minimum. Really shines with 2x3 and 6x9. Does all I need to do with 4x5 wide. Really light to carry around, can carry it one-handed. Normas are priced across the board, I paid a lot for my first one. Bargains are around too
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I saw good reviews on the Norma on different sites and youtube.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole with Norma, www.glennview.com and select Sinar.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Yes, glennview has it all and knows more

I have been inside his sanctuary and he visited mine

I bought very rare items
    Tin Can

Question for all you pro photographers, I'm getting the F2 it has a huge mounting plate on the bottom where it goes on a tripod, do i need a special plate to mount it to the ball head?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Ball heads tend to be difficult to control with a heavy view camera. A 3-axis head is much more manageable.

A quick release, though, really makes set-up/tear-down easier.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Ball heads tend to be difficult to control with a heavy view camera. A 3-axis head is much more manageable.

A quick release, though, really makes set-up/tear-down easier.
    Already bought a Benro GX35 ball head. I need to find a way to make it work somehow.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    Already bought a Benro GX35 ball head. I need to find a way to make it work somehow.
    You can make that work. I find the ball head to make leveling a heavy camera just a bit more difficult. I’m not experienced with Benro but doesn’t that head include a quick-release plate? If so, that plate should be connected to the mount of your Sinar.

Sinar rail clamp base diameter is 75mm with slots to prevent rotation when used with the Sinar pan/tilt head..

That ball head will be no fun at all to use with a Sinar or most any view camera due to the inability to position the camera as needed in tiny increments. Loosen the ball to adjust and the entire "rig" goes all kat-O-wampus.. Even with ball heads that have "singe axis" locking movements, the problem remains...

Ball tripod heads are another digital or roll film habit carry over. Most common with folks that do not want to use a tripod if possible. If a tripod is used, lowest degree of fuss with a small camera became the typical.. Ball heads are sorta ok with these digital or roll film cameras, flat frustrating in too many ways with a Good view camera.

Recommend/suggest cancel or return the order for the Benro GX35 ball head, purchase this Sinar pan/tilt or wait for another Sinar pan/tilt head.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/36407062860...ampid%3APL_CLK

Much about functionality, it the pan tilt head is "mint" it will not be "mint" for long due to the way camera supports are used.. The decades young Sinar pan tilt is a LOT more beat up than this one, continues to do what must be done with zero issues..

No "quick release" needed as the rail clamp works as the quick release. Only pan and tilt motions are needed as the camera rotates on the rail clamp allowing what would have been the third axis of movement required.

There is a made in China copy, not the same as the real Sinar pan/tilt head.. There are very real reasons why there are knock-off copies of the Sinar pan/tilt.. it is That Good.. previously on LFF:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...mpressed/page2

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post