Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Schneider lens with Linhof logo

Schneider lens with Linhof logo

I've been offered a 58mm Super Angulon with the Linhof logo on it. the dealer says it is worth more because of the logo, does anyone know if that's correct?
    Thanks in advance
    Dave

Re: Schneider lens with Linhof logo

Every lens sold by Linhof is tested before engraved with the Linhof logo. It should be interesting how many lenses where rejected because of failing the test.

Presumably it's what is known as a "Linhof Select" lens. All other things being equal, they do tend to bring a little more on the used market, maybe 5% - 10%. While the things Linhof does might be valuable for a new lens, I've always questioned their worth with a used lens but people seem to think they're worth something extra. Some months ago Bob Salomon posted a message here that explained in detail exactly what Linhof apparently does. If you were really interested you could probably find the message by searching his responses here, it was about 6 - 12 months ago.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

In short, the Linhof logo says that Linhof have made their own quality testing before engraving the logo onto the lens. It means that the lens is good enough for Linhof and that the lens is/was offered as a Linhof lens, nothing more spectacular.
    Sinar does the same for their own branded lenses, which are Rodenstock lenses that have a second round of testing in the Sinar plant in Switzerland. This is done with a machine bought from Rodenstock, (probably) doing the very same round of tests as Rodenstock does. (I do believe that the testing protocols are the very same at the Linhof plant. Probably with a similar piece of Rodenstock equipment.)
    It is also quite probable that if any type of lens from any manufacturer would have quality problems, Linhof would not even consider offering that particular lens to their customers, nor would Sinar. Both of these quite conservative companies are very much aware of their positions on the market and that everything they put their name on should be of good quality.

The logo does add a small percentage to the value, but please note "small". Of course it's a bit different with new lenses, which have quite a hefty pricetag. If the lens is below 9 to 10 in rating, i.e. it's a user lens, the logo really is of academical interest.

There is plenty of information about the Linhof engraving/logo to be found in this forum if you make a search for it.

//Björn

It's worth for buying and selling, not for shooting.
    I would trust more, a Linhof body with schneider or rodenstock logo - for sure I'm willing to pay more.

That's probably an old 58 Super Angulon ( I've got one too ) which is really a 6 x 9 lens. Certainly wouldn't expect to shift it on 4 x 5 and 6 x 12 landscape, unshifted, might be a good use. It is very sharp though does not have the multi coating and therefore colour saturation of Schneider's newer 58 XL ( got one ). All Linhof select Schneider lenses are very sharp. They set a high standard for their own tests and will be rejecting a certain number. Don't know if it matters for resale but if the same lens is branded TECHNIKA I'd definitely use that as first choice. ( Bob Salomon is an agent for Rodenstock lenses and promotes them frequently on this site, that I've noticed ) They are very good these days, though in the vintage of this 58mm , plain Rod. ' Sironar ' , many have delaminated......commonly known problem, and I have 2 examples, unfortunately.

Is it really a 53mm? There was a 53 S-A, a competitor to the 53 Biogon, and it was often Linhof-branded. But it's still a 6x9 lens. See the glennview site.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

no, this is definitely the 58 Super by Schneider - for 6 x 9. Though the other 53 mm is a revelation. There seems to be a regular problem with Rodenstock agent Bob Salomon undermining the other German LF lens - Schneider however possible. The Linhof select lenses will be sharper on average - I'd always prefer one. Do be aware of the big delamination problem with Rodenstock 'Sironar' vintage.....pre N . Has Bob mentioned that ? Won't be an issue on new models.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB BERESFORD View Post
    no, this is definitely the 58 Super by Schneider - for 6 x 9. Though the other 53 mm is a revelation. There seems to be a regular problem with Rodenstock agent Bob Salomon undermining the other German LF lens - Schneider however possible. The Linhof select lenses will be sharper on average - I'd always prefer one. Do be aware of the big delamination problem with Rodenstock 'Sironar' vintage.....pre N . Has Bob mentioned that ? Won't be an issue on new models.
    Bob,

You may have missed the fact that we have been the Linhof distributor in the USA for the past several decades, also the Wista distributor as well as the Rodenstock distributor for the US.

And we do not get separation complaints on lenses, Rodenstock or Schneider. Perhaps because we are not a retailer and only sell new lenses to camera stores. If we were in the used business then we might see lenses that are damaged more frequently. About all we see in problem lenses are those that have been dropped or damaged mechanically (shutter problems). We have been importing and distributing Rodenstock lenses starting in the mid 1980's and over that time there have been no problems with separation with any lens that we sold. We have been selling Schneider lenses since the late 70's and there again we have had no problems with separation.

On lenses older then that there may or may not have been problems but we normally would not be involved with those as there would be no warranty expectations on them. With lenses that we have sold there have been separation claims.

I have and will pay more for a Sinar or Linhof select lens in good condition, all other factors being the same. At least getting one of the select lenses means you are avoiding the possibility of getting a "dog" or a "lemon." I think that the quality control of the lens manufacturers has improved over the years, so buying a 50s-60-70s vintage select lens makes a lot of sense if that is the era of lens you want to get -- since the chance of getting a dog is greater with the older lenses.

Of course if your goal is maximum sharpness and image circle, a newer lens will be better than a vintage lens, but then you'd be comparing apples to oranges.

I don't think I could really justify paying a large premium for a new select lens though, and frankly I think the quality control has gotten so much better that there are less "lemons" than their used to be.