Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon Pixma Pro-100 for Digital Negative - Anyone using it?

Re: Canon Pixma Pro-100 for Digital Negative - Anyone using it?

Maybe we need to ignore posts from newbies with odd names and very few posts, that start shooting right away?

Trolls abound.
    Tin Can

I'm all for the benefit of the doubt. It sometimes takes people a few posts to get used to the way a specific community works and even new users may have something useful to say. Even if it isn't immediately apparent...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanidecoma View Post
    Holy crud why do you people go so far off topic to answer a simple question. Canon does offer uv blocking inks, therefore the answer is yes , it is possible to make a great digital negative with a canon. Some of you need to go back to traditional printing to clear the technical bs from your digital induced pea brains
    Appreciate your going into rant mode on your first post. Now please take your Ritalin...

Quote Originally Posted by Adamphotoman View Post
    It is actually quite easy to make your own ink. I used to make my own with Pizography and Quad Tone Rip in the past. Building ink sets is relatively easy. Black ink is available commercially. With glycerine, photo flow and UV blockers you should be able to formulate an effective solution.
    Interested to know if you've made your own ink sets for your Canon ipf series printer. Please provide any helpful details.
    Thanks
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

S
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
    Interested to know if you've made your own ink sets for your Canon ipf series printer. Please provide any helpful details.
    Thanks
    This discussion is three years old, and I am wondering if a workable solution has been found for those of us using Canon technology?

From what I can tell there has been some inquiry but no progress on the Canon printer.

Internet forums are really good for pointing people in directions that have already been tried but not so good at helping solve these types of issues where there is no clear path. I think the only way that something will actually happen is if one of us starts doing it and figuring out what does and doesn't work. That is basically how the Epson printers became the defacto leader in this area. A few people worked with the printers, inks, software and other materials until they found a solution. Some of them began marketing it which took much of the uncertainty out of the process for later adopters.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    From what I can tell there has been some inquiry but no progress on the Canon printer.

Internet forums are really good for pointing people in directions that have already been tried but not so good at helping solve these types of issues where there is no clear path. I think the only way that something will actually happen is if one of us starts doing it and figuring out what does and doesn't work. That is basically how the Epson printers became the defacto leader in this area. A few people worked with the printers, inks, software and other materials until they found a solution. Some of them began marketing it which took much of the uncertainty out of the process for later adopters.
    For those that are late to the party like myself, I own and use a Pixma Pro-100 with the OEM inks and regularly use it for kallitypes. I haven’t had any problems. Granted, I’m not a seasoned pro with digital negs, but for my uses it’s been just fine.

Thanks.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Came across this. Not sure how they work or anything about them, but sounds like they're aiming in the right direction for the silk screen printing folks.

Haven't checked prices either - yet.

https://www.stsinks.com/ink-types/silk-screen.html

The Pro-100 works fine for digital negs with the stock CLI-42 inks, so long as you take the time to profile your printer/surface initially (I used Chartthrob). Use the inkpress transparency film. Not sure why everyone is up in a knot about "blocking." Properly profiled negs are extremely faint - whatever is in the dye-based ink is quite effective in blocking UV. The same is true of CLI-8 materials.