This may not help much but:

There are three basic flange types.

1. Too large.
    2. Too small.
    3. Wrong thread.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Looking for a lens flange..

Do a search on retaining rings or V-Band Clamps/Couplings or T-Bolt Band Clamps or Machined Flanges for use without Gaskets on google. I have used them to hold a lens on to a lens board.
    Questions and comments are always welcome

Right, sorry for reviving the thread but this morning I had the feeling that the lens has been idle on my desk for long enough now!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    This may not help much but:

There are three basic flange types.

1. Too large.
    2. Too small.
    3. Wrong thread.
    I had the feeling that would be the case!..
    I do have the feeling that a 40.5mm thread would fit. (there's a brass lensboard on ebay right now, but it's a bit dear for me currently, combined with the shipping!)

Quote Originally Posted by MMELVIS View Post
    Do a search on retaining rings or V-Band Clamps/Couplings or T-Bolt Band Clamps or Machined Flanges for use without Gaskets on google. I have used them to hold a lens on to a lens board.
    I'll do that and will let you guys know how I'm getting along over the next few weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    You can't even see the two commercial threads exist here until the 4 weeks have passed!
    Where would I find these?

Edit: Possibly was tied to post count too, I can see it now.
    Last edited by Topsy; 20-Mar-2018 at 09:50.

I think 3D printing is a good way to start. I’m facing the same problem with old lenses without flanges. I have a 3D printer and have tried printing threads in the lens board. It seems to work, but you wouldn’t want to unscrew it very often. If for nothing else, you can use 3D printing to find the right size and thread that will work. I went through several 3d prints that were either too large, too small, or wrong thread. I think its cheaper than buying flanges you think will fit and finding out they don’t.

If you do not care about matching materials, usually brass, then more power to you. Best of luck. Seriously. We need such a resource.

Normally I am a function-over-fashion person, however I had a brass lens needing a flange. I sent it to SK Grimes before he died and he made a point of contouring the outer flange in a style consistent with the era. That is something Steve knew. I've no idea if anyone else has the same knowledge or if they care.

Best of luck in your mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    If you do not care about matching materials, usually brass, then more power to you. Best of luck. Seriously. We need such a resource.

Normally I am a function-over-fashion person, however I had a brass lens needing a flange. I sent it to SK Grimes before he died and he made a point of contouring the outer flange in a style consistent with the era. That is something Steve knew. I've no idea if anyone else has the same knowledge or if they care.

Best of luck in your mission.
    Adam at Grimes should be able to do it.

I have just checked "Grimes" website. SInce I last visited them, they have extended their data section- especialy information about Imperial and metric flange size. In addition, they have increased their holding of stock sizes - lengthening their production runs means a reduction in prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Topsy View Post

The thread diameter is, at it thickest spot (it tapers?) 40.8mm, tpi is, estimated 31.75.

Many thanks,
    Topsy
    I'm curious about the tpi of appx. 31.75. Could this be a metric thread with a pitch of 0.8mm? Have you tried checking the thread with a metric thread gauge? Then again, it might actually be 32tpi, which is a common tpi.

Definitely a 32 tpi thread.

You measured the thread to 4.08 cm (1.606"). There is a standard flange available from Grimes for the Rapax shutter no. 3 which is 1.66" and a 32 tpi. You mention that the lens thread is slightly tapered, so I think this will fit.

http://www.skgrimes.com/products/mou...-stock-flanges

Steven, your new information is encouraging! I am not a machining business expert but I have wondered why SK Grimes' new staff did not make multiple copies of certain product since set-up is the most expensive part of the process.

I'm headed back to the site right away.

Thank you for the information!
    Jac