Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to mount Bellows (Kodak 2D)?

Re: How to mount Bellows (Kodak 2D)?

I have a metal 2D, the rear bellows frame is wood, and my bellows was stapled and glued to the frame. Lots and lots of staples. Basic furniture technique.

Contact glue is really good for gluing bellows to wood. I did so with my DIY camera and worked like a charm. Just don't apply too heavily

Well, I wouldn't mind if I could avoid using glue. Since the original seems to work without glue, I hope it will get away with the tacks.

I also thought about using a double sided tape to ensure the bellows stays flat between the tacks, sounds easier than glue at least

--Matthias

I have purchased a front and back from Jon the bellows frame was not included and intend
    to make one, can someone please measure the section size for me and the rebate depth
    and width. I am waiting for a bellows from China ordered before I saw the front and back,
    I have the rest of the 2d coming base Jon again, back from another LF member
    film holders, and a french polisher at work who will guide me in the clean up
    of the timber, will take some pictures and the mix etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz8 View Post
    I have purchased a front and back from Jon the bellows frame was not included and intend
    to make one, can someone please measure the section size for me and the rebate depth
    and width. I am waiting for a bellows from China ordered before I saw the front and back,
    I have the rest of the 2d coming base Jon again, back from another LF member
    film holders, and a french polisher at work who will guide me in the clean up
    of the timber, will take some pictures and the mix etc.
    The overall dimension of my rear frame is 11.1" x 11.1", but you can measure that, since the frame has to fit in your rear box. I'm not used to inches and hope I got it right...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373870805.690194.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	98827

The front frame is 7 1/4 x 7 1/4, the sides are 3/4" and it is 9/32 thick.

Matthias

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    The overall dimension of my rear frame is 11.1" x 11.1", but you can measure that, since the frame has to fit in your rear box. I'm not used to inches and hope I got it right...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373870805.690194.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	98827

The front frame is 7 1/4 x 7 1/4, the sides are 3/4" and it is 9/32 thick.

Matthias
    Thank you Mathias I received my bellows and assumed that they were 280mm square
    Rudy sent me a message that the bellows are 250 x280 and that the 280mm fits to the outside of the frame
    and the 255 side fits on the inside rebate do you have a clear picture of your bellows and how they attatch
    regards
    Barry Treleaven
    Bazz8

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz8 View Post
    Thank you Mathias I received my bellows and assumed that they were 280mm square
    Rudy sent me a message that the bellows are 250 x280 and that the 280mm fits to the outside of the frame
    and the 255 side fits on the inside rebate do you have a clear picture of your bellows and how they attatch
    Sorry, but my bellows isn't attached yet. Since the frame fits exactly into the rear "box" the bellows can not be attached on the outside. But don't worry, my bellows isn't square either and I just checked an think it will fit nicely into the rebate on all 4 sides

If you fold up the end of the bellows it will form a ...well lets call it something that looks like a fence... that will fit into the rebate.

Matthias

Sorry, but my bellows isn't attached yet. Since the frame fits exactly into the rear "box" the bellows can not be attached on the outside. But don't worry, my bellows isn't square either and I just checked an think it will fit nicely into the rebate on all 4 sides

If you fold up the end of the bellows it will form a ...well lets call it something that looks like a fence... that will fit into the rebate.

Matthias
    Thank you for your reply I have cut some matbourd to size to test the bellows fit and it seems to work
    so tomorrow will tell
    regards
    Barry Treleaven
    Bazz8

I'm very curious to hear about your experiences

Matthias

Name:	2013-07-20 17.03.48.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	99097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-20 17.03.23.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	99096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-20 17.03.30.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	99095
    I'm very curious to hear about your experiences

Matthias
    Well had a big day yesterday, decided to cut the back bellows frame from 10mm MDF 281x281mm and then set my radial arm saw to plunge
    cut across 13mm also cut the front panel 185mm square and plunge cut 19mm across all 4 sides, quick clean up with a chisel and the frames look good.
    Mounting the Bellows I did the rear first the bellows had a 10mm final fold which stuck up at right angles away from the rear of the bellows,
    I used a hand leather hole punch and cut some holes every 30mm or so and 20mm from each corner,placed the bellows inside the frame and marked
    where the holes were with a pencil, pre-drilled each hole position so the MDF would not split,I did this all 4 sides, 1hr later the bellows where fitting the rear frame.
    The Front was easier I could fit the 185mm square frame level with the last fold ( bellows outside the frame and 20mm sitting up higher than the frame,
    I then folded the bellows material over the frame held the material with small clamps and did the same as the rear cut 4 holes for the screws each side and
    then pre-drilled the MDF ready for the brass piano hinge screws.
    The front frame of the 2D looked like it had been shot with a machine gun the number of previous holes that fitted the bellows , so I cut a piece of paper
    185 square with a 20mm flap to fold over the top of the frame and shaded with a pencil the entire sides 20-30 wide as you shade the paper the holes appear,
    I used a toothpick to place a hole through the paper into the excising holes this took a while, layed the paper over the MDF frame and marked and
    pre-drilled each hole 1/8 " or 3mm then preceded to cut the protruding bellows material away from the inside of the frame surprisingly it was about
    2/3mm on one side only.
    I rebated with a router the washer and frame rivet on each side of the rear standard making sure the rebate shape circular does not go right through
    to the rear of the frame! My screws protruded slightly through the 13mm width of the frame which I filed off to a smooth finish.
    I fitted the bellows from the rear and racked the front standard about 200mm away from the read and screwed the front frame through the pilot hole
    into the front standard frame.
    looked fantastic until I saw that the rear bellows at the side were obstruction the 254x254 opening width by 8mm or so each side
    a quick call to a mate and I discovered that I would have to cut the corner down to the fold unscrew the internal screws and gently tug the bellows
    over to the outer face of the bellows frame same thing mark holes pre-drill and screw the bellows down they protrude about 4mm inside the bellows frame
    now and sit nicely
    I then made a couple of lensboards used some floating floor and machined it down to 7mm and mounted a Wollensack 305f f6.3 Rapter on the front
    still waiting for the back to arrive Monday perhaps.
    I intend to use black binding tape to stick to the back of the frame and over the brass screws , on the front I will use 10mmx2mm glazers tape and make a lightproof rectangle
    which the screws will go through to ensure light tightness.
    I phone pics hand held but you get the idea.
    regards
    Bazz8
    Last edited by Bazz8; 20-Jul-2013 at 16:17. Reason: forgot one detail