Thread: Digital IR

Re: Digital IR

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Mmm

I need to see if my NIKON fc can brighten the LED Viewfinder...enough

another diversion from my first plan today

Yesterday I found no 4X5 BW film in my larder

B&H to my rescue
    The Nikon Z fc with the EVF would make a great IR camera. At least when making the image, because you can still use the EVF to frame and focus the image. You can not use the OVF for a Live View converted DSLR camera to frame and focus the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I like this image a lot, Jon.
    Thanks Ari!

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    The Nikon Z fc with the EVF would make a great IR camera. At least when making the image, because you can still use the EVF to frame and focus the image. You can not use the OVF for a Live View converted DSLR camera to frame and focus the image.
    I have an IR converted Nikon Z6 and love it. AF works as it should. FYI: 24-70mm works great. Unfortunately 24-200mm suffers from a hot spot. Most fun to use optics : 600mm & 800mm Vivitar Series 1 Cats and a 70mm VK70R Kiyohara Kogauk (soft focus).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I have an IR converted Nikon Z6 and love it. AF works as it should. FYI: 24-70mm works great. Unfortunately 24-200mm suffers from a hot spot. Most fun to use optics : 600mm & 800mm Vivitar Series 1 Cats and a 70mm VK70R Kiyohara Kogauk (soft focus).
    That is good to know. At some point, I might add a second Z7. One converted to IR, one not. So far, I have the Z 24-70 f4, and the Z 105 MC f2.8. I think the 105 might be a good IR lens.

Thanks, Guys! Lot's of good stuff to think about. A D850 full spectrum would be much more versatile... Ari, I'll check out your suggestion of who to use to convert the camera. I hadn't heard of him before.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Ari, I'll check out your suggestion of who to use to convert the camera. I hadn't heard of him before.
    Worth an email. Isaac doesn't advertise much, but he has his loyal customers, myself included.
    He's done 4 conversions for me, all perfect, and all were on their way back to me within 48 hours.
    He'll be doing a 5th conversion for me next week, as he's currently away on vacation.
    https://www.isaacszabo.com/infrared.html

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    Thanks Peter!

I don't regret buying the full spectrum D810. I can use any range of external IR filter, or use it as a regular visual light camera. Sure, you have to buy a bunch of filters for your lenses, but the inexpensive Chinese filters I found work well. The only expensive filter is the visual light one. You also have to use a hood on the live view screen so that you can see the image in bright light. I've gotten used to that as well.

But, if you have another unconverted camera, having a dedicated 720 camera does make life simple!
    Another option for cameras converted to all spectrum is the use of clip in filters that fit inside the camera. Kase is a big name in this field, Kolarivison provides magnetic versions for some camera, stcoptics is another good choice.

Jon, really like the look of your oaks with the blue sky!

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Thanks, Sandy. I use Kase neutral density filters, and they are of high quality. I'll check out the 'clip in the camera filters."
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Another option for cameras converted to all spectrum is the use of clip in filters that fit inside the camera. Kase is a big name in this field, Kolarivison provides magnetic versions for some camera, stcoptics is another good choice.

Jon, really like the look of your oaks with the blue sky!

Sandy
    The Kase filters are interesting, but they are only for Sony:

Compatible Cameras
    a7R, a7R II, a7R III, a7R IV
    a7S, a7S II
    a9 II, a9
    a7, a7 II, a7 III
    Alpha 1

I would want these for a Nikon Z7.

I'm glad you like the images of the oaks Sandy!

I understand the camera image, but how was it converted?
    Thanks