Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My DIY 4x5 point & shoot.

My DIY 4x5 point & shoot.

Hi all from Oz.
    this is the project Ive been working on, Its a 4x5. 6x7 ,6x9, home built camera, the body is made from wood,it has a 10mm up & down shift, 58mm Schneider XL lens, the focusing device I bought from China on Ebay. I am using a spare Horseman back. I took a test shot and it seems to work Ok, so far so good has been fun to make.
    Cheers Brian .

Photograsaurus Rex

Re: My DIY 4x5 point & shoot.

Not Bad, any other info on it?

East Coast USA, 2 blocks down on the left

What a beaut! Yes, I'd like to hear more about the 'focusing device' and does it have a tripod mount?

The 'focusing device' looks identical to the focus helical I bought for my 5x7.

If I'm correct then you want "jinfinance" on ebay,
    http://stores.ebay.com/RJ-camera-accessory-store

Search focus helical and it will come up, roughly $140 and takes a couple weeks or so to arrive. They're very well built and available with most focal length scales printed on.

Hi.
    Yes Ash the focusing device was from jinfinance, its really good nice and smooth.
    it does have a tripod mount, its the block at the center bottom of the camera, its a wooden block with a 5mm alloy plate, glued and 4 countersunk screws going right through to the body, I routered out a groove on the back of the body and glued strips of black felt to make it light tight when the horseman back is clipped on, I have yet to make the handle for it. haven't decided if Ill go ahead and make one from aluminum ???
    I have access to laths and milling machines. could be interesting ???
    Cheers all & thanks for the interest.

Hy all. Iīve tried to locate a thread about DIY PS cameras but the search option donīt help me a lot.

I have some sapelli recycled wood and I would like to build a 4x5 point and shoot camera with a Sinar rear element in it back. I have a Schneider 90mm f8 and I would like to know how deep should be the box. Well, how many milimeters should I have from the lens plane to the ground glass? Someone know where I could see the focus distance of my 90mm to infinite? The depth of the box (from lens plane to GG) should be the same as the distance needed by the 90mm to focus at infinite? The helical mount should move away the lens from the infinite focus point ? How many mm could move a helical mount one lens? Wich is your advice?

I was looking for helical mounts and I saw some Zuiko DYI helical focus mechanism adapted to a large format lens. Someone of you could reccomend me a MF lens or a 35mm lens focusing sistem I could transform it and mount my 90mm on it?

Any information would be welcome.

thanks to all

eduard
    Philippians 4:8

Quote Originally Posted by eduardtoader View Post
    Hy all. Iīve tried to locate a thread about DIY PS cameras but the search option donīt help me a lot.

I have some sapelli recycled wood and I would like to build a 4x5 point and shoot camera with a Sinar rear element in it back. I have a Schneider 90mm f8 and I would like to know how deep should be the box. Well, how many milimeters should I have from the lens plane to the ground glass? Someone know where I could see the focus distance of my 90mm to infinite? The depth of the box (from lens plane to GG) should be the same as the distance needed by the 90mm to focus at infinite? The helical mount should move away the lens from the infinite focus point ? How many mm could move a helical mount one lens? Wich is your advice?

I was looking for helical mounts and I saw some Zuiko DYI helical focus mechanism adapted to a large format lens. Someone of you could reccomend me a MF lens or a 35mm lens focusing sistem I could transform it and mount my 90mm on it?

thanks to all

eduard

This thread has a formula for calculating the offset from infinity settings: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=73094

The amount needed for setting to the minimum hyperfocal distance is surprisingly small (around 3mm for a 100mm lens).

The bellows draw (extension) for a 90mm lens at infinity should be 90mm but may depend on the specific flange focal length of the lens.

Schneider has the specs here. What you want is the flange-focal distance which will be the distance from the mounting surface on the shutter (i.e. front surface of the lens board) to the film plane. At this distance from the film plane, the lens will be focused at infinity.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by eduardtoader View Post

thanks to all

eduard

This is what I can read in front of my lens:

Schneider kreutznach 90mmf8 super angulon 8716626. Itīs mounted on a Compur shutter. How could I know wich type is it? On the Schneier web I see two models - coated and mulfticoated. There are 10mm focusing difference.

Yhanks for your help

How about the helical mount? Could i use the focus system of a 35mm lens or MF lens to make my own helical mount? Itīs a good idea to try it or itīs very difficult to calibrate the paralelism of the lens with the film plane?

cheers

eduard