Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New here and looking for lens advice

Re: New here and looking for lens advice

I haven't seen or used an Intrepid camera, and haven't really followed its development. But I have been using field view cameras, old and new, for over 40 years, so take this for what it's worth.
    It seems that Intrepid (like some other new camera makers) have not done the engineering necessary to make an effective product. It's as if they are just "winging it" and are relying on their client base to tell them what's wrong and what to fix. Or to be modern, putting out a beta version like software developers do.
    I'll also note that late-20th-century camera makers like Canham, Zone VI, Wisner, Richard Ritter, et al. got their designs right before going into production and selling product. Of course "getting it right" raised the price.
    \\end rant\\ I do hope that Intrepid gets their act together, and that the camera owners use them to make photographs that make them happy.

Yeah I have to agree with you it does seem like intrepid is just flying by the seat of their pants. I think the camera has huge potential but needs a lot of refinement so I don't know who's designing this stuff I know they have to keep costs down for that price but my God raise at $50 and make it totally functional. I hope they do listen to their customers now I have emailed them with several complaints in a nice way and I've got no response yet.

I am currently in the process of doing several modifications to it to improve its functionality to the level of acceptable the way it comes it's definitely not acceptable but if you're a DIY guy you can definitely turn it into a decent camera with a little bit of thinking and ingenuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I haven't seen or used an Intrepid camera, and haven't really followed its development. But I have been using field view cameras, old and new, for over 40 years, so take this for what it's worth.
    It seems that Intrepid (like some other new camera makers) have not done the engineering necessary to make an effective product. It's as if they are just "winging it" and are relying on their client base to tell them what's wrong and what to fix. Or to be modern, putting out a beta version like software developers do.
    I'll also note that late-20th-century camera makers like Canham, Zone VI, Wisner, Richard Ritter, et al. got their designs right before going into production and selling product. Of course "getting it right" raised the price.
    \\end rant\\ I do hope that Intrepid gets their act together, and that the camera owners use them to make photographs that make them happy.
    Agreed. For many years I used a 1938 Deardorff w 4x5 & 5x7 backs....I paid $600 for it. With the price of sheet film, and paper..... the camera in the long term is the cheapest part of the deal. So many good cameras were made and are still operable I can't see buying the cheapest one out there....& creating the weakest link in the chain...but that's my opinion

Well, the camera does get good reviews so i bought one. I did know some of its issues going in, but i didn't think this would be this bad. Now look it will take a picture, its a light-tight box and projects an image onto film. It's just not refined, it's no Chamonix or Wista. The problem I'm having is this is version 5, and you still don't have it right, that worries me.

The swing, tilt work great, its the rise and fall that are rough and not even close to smooth. The base of the camera is a cutout piece of aluminum, they cut away alot to save weight , but that in returm makes the the camera flimsy sort of. The lens board from them i bought is good, its the the cutout for it thats slightly oversized and makes the board move ever so slightly.

The only other option is buy a used field camera off ebay from Japan, and that maybe a better option, but your talking at least another $250 on top of what i paid. I guess i cheaped out cause i knew i had to buy light meter, lens, film holders etc. I will keep it for year and move up to a Chamonix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Seems like you're right!

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...0-Smells-Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    So many good cameras were made and are still operable I can't see buying the cheapest one out there....& creating the weakest link in the chain...but that's my opinion
    Some people like to buy what's NEW and HOT -- just like with cars and houses. Go figure. But, I must admit, finding old info on old cameras is a challenge. What you usually end up with are opinions, not details.

Once Upon a Time...
    Two image makers went view camera shopping one day...

Image maker number two..
    Been using a Large variety of view cameras for decades creating images from Portraits (indoor, outdoor and more), landscapes, in studio still-life to Ads, Fashion and more, technical macro images, architectural indoor/outdoor with uber power strobe to natural lighting and much more. Burned countless thousand sheets of film from color to B&W and more.. Has very specific expectations from the camera and how that camera Must have every ability to Fully support the optics/lenses required to achieve specific image goals be they prints or mass publications...

Image maker number one...
    Completely new to this view camera stuff. Previous experience was strict digital, then roll film starting with 35mm then moved to 120 roll film then got caught up in the curiosity of sheet film. Image maker number one is also from the web-internet centric generation where what is found on the web is considered truth, fact and good solid information, recommendations and "reviews"... No idea what view camera movements are or can achieve due to the long history of using lens fixed to the box camera or at most using tilt/shift lens or lens adapters. Add to this, lenses are brand centric, for a specific camera brand there is a strong interest to keeping with that camera brand's lens offerings or aftermarket lens offerings or in the case of mirrorless, adapted lenses of mixed brands.. Specific image making habits, style and more have been grown out of these previous image making experiences.

Decides to go new view camera shopping.. Do a web search, comes up with "FAB" reviews on a specific camera.. Gee, this must be the camera to have given there are SO many "FAB" reviews given to said view camera.. Part of the "fly in the ointment" difficult with this making choices based on web-internet reviews, these folks posting to the web-internet could have manufacture supported bias promo to create these "FAB" reviews or the reviews simply do not have the depth of experience and real-world experience of being run in the out of the previous era of sheet film image making.. which often shapes the expectations, demands and more of the image maker.. Image maker number one goes for the much web-internet TooTed view camera.. Spanky new, no idea of what a Good view camera should be, yet it is a view camera. Makes images, lightweight, folds up easy and has all these contraptions that allow the front and back of this light tight box that is flexi in the center to be moved and bent around.. Not sure what or how these bendiee motions are for. but... it makes "FAB" images on film _WOW_...

Image maker number two encounters this web-internet TooTed view camera with a Great "ICK"... in short time image maker number two has short tolerance for the lack of precision/accuracy, flimsy lightweight construction, camera/bellows extension limitations and no easy option for a bag bellows, no scales or centering marks, wonky camera focusing mechanism located at the bottom center of the rear standard, semi light transparent lens board causing film fogging and more.. Yet, image maker number two easily produces FAB images from this camera within it's limitations.. Never again, unless this is the only image making tool available.. ick..

So there ya have it..
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    Well, the camera does get good reviews so i bought one. I did know some of its issues going in, but i didn't think this would be this bad. Now look it will take a picture, its a light-tight box and projects an image onto film. It's just not refined, it's no Chamonix or Wista. The problem I'm having is this is version 5, and you still don't have it right, that worries me.

The swing, tilt work great, its the rise and fall that are rough and not even close to smooth. The base of the camera is a cutout piece of aluminum, they cut away alot to save weight , but that in returm makes the the camera flimsy sort of. The lens board from them i bought is good, its the the cutout for it thats slightly oversized and makes the board move ever so slightly.

The only other option is buy a used field camera off ebay from Japan, and that maybe a better option, but your talking at least another $250 on top of what i paid. I guess i cheaped out cause i knew i had to buy light meter, lens, film holders etc. I will keep it for year and move up to a Chamonix.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Once Upon a Time...
    Two image makers went view camera shopping one day...

Image maker number two..
    Been using a Large variety of view cameras for decades creating images from Portraits (indoor, outdoor and more), landscapes, in studio still-life to Ads, Fashion and more, technical macro images, architectural indoor/outdoor with uber power strobe to natural lighting and much more. Burned countless thousand sheets of film from color to B&W and more.. Has very specific expectations from the camera and how that camera Must have every ability to Fully support the optics/lenses required to achieve specific image goals be they prints or mass publications...

Image maker number one...
    Completely new to this view camera stuff. Previous experience was strict digital, then roll film starting with 35mm then moved to 120 roll film then got caught up in the curiosity of sheet film. Image maker number one is also from the web-internet centric generation where what is found on the web is considered truth, fact and good solid information, recommendations and "reviews"... No idea what view camera movements are or can achieve due to the long history of using lens fixed to the box camera or at most using tilt/shift lens or lens adapters. Add to this, lenses are brand centric, for a specific camera brand there is a strong interest to keeping with that camera brand's lens offerings or aftermarket lens offerings or in the case of mirrorless, adapted lenses of mixed brands.. Specific image making habits, style and more have been grown out of these previous image making experiences.

Decides to go new view camera shopping.. Do a web search, comes up with "FAB" reviews on a specific camera.. Gee, this must be the camera to have given there are SO many "FAB" reviews given to said view camera.. Part of the "fly in the ointment" difficult with this making choices based on web-internet reviews, these folks posting to the web-internet could have manufacture supported bias promo to create these "FAB" reviews or the reviews simply do not have the depth of experience and real-world experience of being run in the out of the previous era of sheet film image making.. which often shapes the expectations, demands and more of the image maker.. Image maker number one goes for the much web-internet TooTed view camera.. Spanky new, no idea of what a Good view camera should be, yet it is a view camera. Makes images, lightweight, folds up easy and has all these contraptions that allow the front and back of this light tight box that is flexi in the center to be moved and bent around.. Not sure what or how these bendiee motions are for. but... it makes "FAB" images on film _WOW_...

Image maker number two encounters this web-internet TooTed view camera with a Great "ICK"... in short time image maker number two has short tolerance for the lack of precision/accuracy, flimsy lightweight construction, camera/bellows extension limitations and no easy option for a bag bellows, no scales or centering marks, wonky camera focusing mechanism located at the bottom center of the rear standard, semi light transparent lens board causing film fogging and more.. Yet, image maker number two easily produces FAB images from this camera within it's limitations.. Never again, unless this is the only image making tool available.. ick..

So there ya have it..
    Bernice

I agree i do take all reviews with a grain of salt. Those reviewers didnt say in WAS PERFECT, they clearly pointed out its flaws also. After playing with it for a few days my biggest issue is the rise and fall 0 mark that you need a microscope to see, but its a easy fix with some enamel and masking tape and a brush.

I got my Carson loupes today, a 4.5x and a 7x, the 4.5 is out, 7x is pretty good, i can focus on objects, and i do see a lot of the fine specs in the ground glass. So i think the ideal loupe is 6x to 8x for my tired eyes. I'm also wondering and thinking how much of an improvement would good ground glass be. I'm guessing the Intrepid glass is cheap and low quality, anybody tells me how much of a difference good ground glass makes?

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    I got my Carson loupes today, a 4.5x and a 7x, the 4.5 is out, 7x is pretty good, i can focus on objects, and i do see a lot of the fine specs in the ground glass. So i think the ideal loupe is 6x to 8x for my tired eyes. I'm also wondering and thinking how much of an improvement would good ground glass be. I'm guessing the Intrepid glass is cheap and low quality, anybody tells me how much of a difference good ground glass makes?
    I tried the Carson loupes and ditched all of them. They turned out to be not very sharp. Buying an admittedly more expensive used loupe intended for view camera use resulted in a much better focusing experience and sharper negatives. Buying a used Horseman, etc, traditional loupe or a new metal 6X long loupes from the Chinese suppliers on **Bay was ultimately the best solution. Amazing how much better the images looked on the same ground glass. Before buying an expensive ground glass, I suggest getting a better loupe.