Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5-liter Graduates for Mixing Chemistry

5-liter Graduates for Mixing Chemistry

Found these on Amazon and mixing XTol just became easier. They are ABN 5-liter "paint mixing pitchers" and a 3-pack is $32.95. They are quite heavy duty, marked out in US and Metric measurements and have a nice wide handle for gripping and a good pouring spout as well. Not going to post a link, because it will just get taken down. But do a search by ABL 5-liter and it will come up.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Re: 5-liter Graduates for Mixing Chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    Found these on Amazon and mixing XTol just became easier. They are ABN 5-liter "paint mixing pitchers" and a 3-pack is $32.95. They are quite heavy duty, marked out in US and Metric measurements and have a nice wide handle for gripping and a good pouring spout as well. Not going to post a link, because it will just get taken down. But do a search by ABL 5-liter and it will come up.
    I refuse to use Amazon, so I had my wife buy these for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Terbold-Plast...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I've been using plastic buckets for mixing 4 litres of Formulary 130. has a wire handle but no measurements.also use a cordless drill and paint paddle for mixing.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

My real problem isn't mixing but what to do with 5L of Xtol after it's been mixed. I don't want to resort to 1L soda bottles..

Drew Wiley

Well, the wholesale cost of those 5-liter paint pitchers is about 75 cents apiece, so I'd call those Amazon 3-packs a gross ripoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Well, the wholesale cost of those 5-liter paint pitchers is about 75 cents apiece, so I'd call those Amazon 3-packs a gross ripoff.
    You have to remember by ordering with Amazon Prime - only costs $139 plus tax and you get Free Shipping.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Like Fred L, I mix large quantities of chemistry in paint buckets using a paddle-style stirrer in a drill. Once mixed, it goes into either 2 or 5 gal containers with floating lids.

I hate having to mix and store these large quantities. Stupid jerks.

Drew Wiley

In a darkroom drawer I still have an old cordless drill replete with a true 316 stainless chuck and key, plus the 316 stainless mixing rod. Gave up on it long ago. Too much agitation, oxidation. Prefer the slow hand method. But if you do mix full five gallon buckets worth at a time, you can get a folding-blade bong-hole mixer suitable for use with low RPM higher torque real-deal mixing motors. Just have matching plastic lids with either threaded lid hole caps or removable flat plugs. No splatter that way. Or you could bring home a used five-gallon paint shaker and really end up with a wonderful mess splattered all over the darkroom if something goes wrong. Jean-Michel Basquiat would approve. Personally, I mix everything one-shot, small volume.

I wonder if anyone has ever mixed bathtub XTOL.